DragonFire

Eddie Van Halen Dies at 65

Van Halen is my favorite band from my younger years until now. 

I'm not sure if in my life I've listened to more Van Halen or Johnny Cash, but I guarantee those are the top two artist that I have listened to. 

Eddie, like a lot of our heroes was a complicated person...however has a musician there is no doubt he is an all-time great.

RIP Ed, I'll go to sleep tonight listening to my Van Halen playlist.

I never got to see Eddie Van Halen perform, though in 2003 I did get to see Roth and Hagar team up together to play all the hits. Have always been a huge Van Halen fan.

Enough of you, 2020.

Always found it ironic that Van Halen's biggest hit (commercially) was when they took one of the premiere guitar players out there, in Eddie, and put him....on keyboards.  Who'd have thought.

RIP Eddie.

4 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Always found it ironic that Van Halen's biggest hit (commercially) was when they took one of the premiere guitar players out there, in Eddie, and put him....on keyboards.  Who'd have thought.

RIP Eddie.

Eddie's first instrument was the piano. He won a awards for his performances of classical music when he was a kid (Mozart, Bach, Chopin). Oddly enough, he could not read music. Played it all by ear. He did not switch to guitar until in his teens.

44 minutes ago, swamprat said:

Eddie's first instrument was the piano. He won a awards for his performances of classical music when he was a kid (Mozart, Bach, Chopin). Oddly enough, he could not read music. Played it all by ear. He did not switch to guitar until in his teens.

Oh there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he could play the keyboard.  None.  Like I said, I just find it ironic that his group's most popular song found him on the synthesizer more so than the guitar.

On 10/7/2020 at 5:04 PM, CincySportsFan said:

Oh there is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that he could play the keyboard.  None.  Like I said, I just find it ironic that his group's most popular song found him on the synthesizer more so than the guitar.

He has said that he wrote almost all of his music on piano first. Eddie commented that's why most of his songs are so melodic.

A well known story by EVH fans but in case some of you haven't heard it. Eddie bought a set of drums when he was young and got a paper route to pay them off. While he was out delivering papers, Alex was home banging on the drums. Eddie realized that Al was much better on the drums. At the same time Alex was taking Flamingo Guitar lessons, Ed decided to try Al's guitar and the rest as they say is history.

RIP Eddie and I love Van Halen.  I also like this one:

121308171_10158530962163654_4948981227245454629_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=fBJVJxA-gw8AX-IuIuc&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=7fbd9ad26a07bdcba99120859ef81f94&oe=5FABF0F3

• Like 1