Sign in to follow this  
cincydragons

COVID Red Zone Cancellations

Thought I would start a separate thread for this.  In the last couple days, at least 2 football games and 1 soccer game have been cancelled by county schools not wanting to play Fayette County schools because they are currently in the "red zone" for COVID.  Has this happened elsewhere in the state?  Are there other counties currently in the red zone besides Fayette?  

Based on the document below, it looks like to me any county that is red shouldn’t play sports. I don’t know if that only affects home games or road games, too. Based on last week this document isn’t being followed by everyone. How does everyone else read this information?

I apologize for having to cut this. I’ve included the document link as well. 

https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/covid19/cv19ModeofInstructionMetricsforK-12Education.pdf

5091A0BC-7254-42E6-865F-D5B502B27449.png

CA0D6735-D7D1-48F4-A31E-24C5202E23E8.png

49 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Based on the document below, it looks like to me any county that is red shouldn’t play sports. I don’t know if that only affects home games or road games, too. Based on last week this document isn’t being followed by everyone. How does everyone else read this information?

I apologize for having to cut this. I’ve included the document link as well. 

https://chfs.ky.gov/agencies/dph/covid19/cv19ModeofInstructionMetricsforK-12Education.pdf

5091A0BC-7254-42E6-865F-D5B502B27449.png

CA0D6735-D7D1-48F4-A31E-24C5202E23E8.pngI believe this doesn’t take effect until 9/28 but some schools are already following it.

• Like 1

Found this on the KY State Covid website - looks like about 7-8 counties currently in the red zone.  Fayette is at 26.3 cases per 100K population just above the threshold of 25 to be classified as red.  

covid red zone.png

It appears the Douglas vs Scott Co game has been canceled.

Edited by bugatti
No punctuation.

13 minutes ago, barrel said:

It appears the Douglas vs Scott Co game has been canceled 

Yes they are playing Ballard on Sat. morning.

33 minutes ago, barrel said:

It appears the Douglas vs Scott Co game has been canceled 

And also Dunbar-Great Crossing in football and Henry Clay-GRC in girls soccer.  May be more that I’m not aware of.

At Midnight Thursday night, there are presently 13 football games that are cancelled due to Covid implications.

My concern is that it seems that "new rules" are coming into play, above and beyond the health of that individual football team, making it tougher and tougher to play football.

If Fayette County is a RED ZONE (25/100,000 per day), the majority of the cases are in conjunction with the University of Kentucky, not the Lexington High Schools.  

• Like 2

The canceled district games get rescheduled later on in the season? Is that how it works?

37 minutes ago, barrel said:

The canceled district games get rescheduled later on in the season? Is that how it works?

If at all possible, but there doesn't appear to be a set in stone requirement for district games this season (meaning there is no forfeit charged). If a district game isn't played, both teams are given a win and a loss in the district standings. I do believe, however, that most every district game that has been cancelled to this point has found another spot in the schedule to be played. October 30 and November 6 will likely see a good number of replacement games.

17 hours ago, Mustang said:

At Midnight Thursday night, there are presently 13 football games that are cancelled due to Covid implications.

My concern is that it seems that "new rules" are coming into play, above and beyond the health of that individual football team, making it tougher and tougher to play football.

If Fayette County is a RED ZONE (25/100,000 per day), the majority of the cases are in conjunction with the University of Kentucky, not the Lexington High Schools.  

After today's update Fayette County is not in the red zone but is very close.  This could continue to be an issue throughout the season.  And I feel very bad for the players involved who have done the right things to be able to play this year and once again future games and their season may be taken away from them.

A total of sixteen scheduled games were cancelled due to Covid related issues.

Sign in to follow this