redleg13

Owensboro Apollo at McCracken County Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Apollo
    • McCracken

Don't know a lot about the Eagles, other than they have a big offensive line and two good running backs. McCracken held a strong rushing attack by Mayfield in check two weeks ago. Mustangs defense appears much improved over the squad that gave up 51 points to Apollo last year. Not sure Apollo will do that again, but not counting on Mc Cracken scoring 81 points either.

I'll take the Mustangs 42 -24.

Ah yes, I remember the night McCracken County got football and basketball season mixed up. Hunter Bradley became a legend that night with over 400 yards rushing and seven touchdowns. 

I don't look for a repeat of those numbers from him or 81 points from McCracken, but I think the Mustangs are on a mission to break into the top 5 conversation amongst the big schools. Give me McCracken by a few scores. 

• Like 1

I think this should be a better game than most think.  I like McCracken to win, especially at home, but don't be surprised if the game is still in relative doubt going to the 4th Quarter.

• Like 1

McCracken defense is a whole different unit, looks like a legit unit too look out for this year. 

I find it strange that McCracken has had the kind of success it’s had considering it consolidated from Heath, Reidland and Lone Oak now I understand Lone Oak had a few good seasons but I think a lot of that was system related because they threw the ball a lot before most of the state did however I don’t remember Heath and Reidland having much success. I know that’s a little off topic just my thoughts on the success McCracken has had now to this game I expect McCrackento win by a couple scores but I expect it to be tight really late into the game.

McCraken has some athletes in Bradley, Hayes, Hughes, but so does Apollo in Hogg and Lovinsky.  I think McCracken is somewhat limited by its new QB though.  Both teams seem to have outstanding lines.  McCraken showed at the end of last year it’s defense was stepping up.  Edge is a defensive coach (I think he played defense). so I know he will have a good game plan for the Eagles.  Beating a good Meade County team was a great step in the right direction, but McCracken is flying high.  I think Apollo’s line will keep them competitive but in the end I’ll take the Mustangs:

McCracken 24-14

1st off I don’t want to take anything away from Apollo. They are a really good 6A team. Fringe top 10 team. Lovinsky and Patterson are as good of a combo as Meade Co has faced the last 2 years. But Meade lost Oppel early in the 2nd qtr. Realistically it’s a 2 TD win for Meade if he stays in the game. 

This game will tell us how good McCracken is. If they win easily then they deserve their ranking. I think Apollo will test them. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I find it strange that McCracken has had the kind of success it’s had considering it consolidated from Heath, Reidland and Lone Oak now I understand Lone Oak had a few good seasons but I think a lot of that was system related because they threw the ball a lot before most of the state did however I don’t remember Heath and Reidland having much success. I know that’s a little off topic just my thoughts on the success McCracken has had now to this game I expect McCrackento win by a couple scores but I expect it to be tight really late into the game.

McCracken has gotten some of the kids that would’ve gone to Tilghman or Mayfield before they consolidated.

8 hours ago, R1 sports fan said:

McCracken has gotten some of the kids that would’ve gone to Tilghman or Mayfield before they consolidated.

Thanks that makes sense.

I could be wrong, but Mayfield is in Graves County, so I don't think McCracken got any players from Graves or Mayfield.  Maybe some transfers, but none due to district boundaries.  And yes there are players that move in between Paducah Tilghman and McCracken from what I hear.

McCracken draws from quite a few nearby districts. Lone Oak did before consolidation. 

• Like 1

Apollo has averaged 15 points a game. Are the defenses of Owensboro and Meade Co. a stronger test than McCracken's?  Mustangs have given up 7 points total. I know they shut out a fairly mediocre offense with Marshall Co. last week, but they held Mayfield's running game in check in Week 1. Still very early in the year. Should learn a lot about both teams Friday. McCracken can't take Apollo lightly and I doubt that they will.

47 minutes ago, redleg13 said:

Apollo has averaged 15 points a game. Are the defenses of Owensboro and Meade Co. a stronger test than McCracken's?  Mustangs have given up 7 points total. I know they shut out a fairly mediocre offense with Marshall Co. last week, but they held Mayfield's running game in check in Week 1. Still very early in the year. Should learn a lot about both teams Friday. McCracken can't take Apollo lightly and I doubt that they will.

Meade Defense gave up 0 to John Hardin. 

I just checked John Hardin. Maybe not as impressive as I first thought but fair point that Apollo has faced some good defenses this year.