Colonels_Wear_Blue

Crittenden County vs. Paintsville Predictions/Updates (Cancelled)

Who wins?  

6 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who wins?

• Crittenden County
    • Paintsville

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/18/2020 at 10:00 PM

Paintsville's 100th football season is off to a 1-0 start...although it took them a minute to shake off the rust. The Tigers were behind in their season opener for 2-1/2 quarters before finally taking the lead and taking home a 39-24 win over the 5A East Jessamine Jaguars. Paintsville's defense struggled against the Jags' rushing game, allowing 245 yards on the ground, but they completely shut down the pass, only allowing 32 yards in the air. QB Jake Hyden personally racked up 299 yards of offense in the game, passing for 192 yards and 2 TDs, and rushing for another 107 yards and 2 TDs. RB Harris Phelps also had 144 yards rushing and 2 TDs.

For Crittenden County, the first week of football also looked a little rusty, but unfortunately the Rockets didn't manage to get things going much at all on Friday, heading home from 2A Caldwell County on the wrong side of a 22-0 shutout. Crittenden Co. only had 191 yards total offense in the loss, and QB Luke Crider was picked 3 times, on top of coming up in the red with -32 yards rushing. Senior Xander Tabor provided the majority of the team's offensive yards, with 212 yards rushing on 17 carries.

Friday's game location has been changed to Paintsville. Kickoff at 6:00pm Eastern.

5.5 hour trip without any stops going the speed limit.

On a bus, with stops, facing a strong team....

Sorry Crittenden. Don't see a solid Rockets team putting their best foot forward.

I think Paintsville is better than Caldwell so I’m picking Paintsville.

If Crittenden gets last week's 1st half version of Paintsville, this could be interesting for a while. If they get 2nd half Paintsville, I think the Tigers win handily.

2 hours ago, ATLCat said:

5.5 hour trip without any stops going the speed limit.

On a bus, with stops, facing a strong team....

Sorry Crittenden. Don't see a solid Rockets team putting their best foot forward.

700 mile round trip. Ooof...

14 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

700 mile round trip. Ooof...

During the Covid-19 Pandemic, no less.  I applaud challenging your program, but I'm not sure this particular game at this particular time is wise.

I was trying to get my head around the Rockets timeline for this one.  Pardon the length, but it became fascinating to me, as follows:

- Crittenden County is in the Central Time Zone.  So a 6 pm EST game is 5 pm local time.

- @ATLCat is absolutely correct in that it's 5.5 hours haulin butt between these 2 cities.  So I am estimating 6 hours to drive it and a 1 hour break.  So 7 hours in travel time!  WOW!  I can get to Atlanta (barring traffic) from Louisville in 6.5.  I can get to Chicago in under 5; heck I can get to Pittsburg in about 6.5!

I'm estimating you'd like to get to the field about 2 hours in advance: an hour to acclimate, find out where the bathrooms are and dress for the game and an hour to warm up.  So that means you need to arrive in Paintsville at 4 pm EST (3 pm CST).

So with a 7 hour travel time and to make Paintsville by 4 pm, you need to be rolling in the bus from Marion at 9 am EST (8 am CST).  You are going to have to prep/load the bus etc.  So I am estimating coaches arrive 2 hours in advance or 7 am EST (6 am CST) with players arriving (ready to go - right) at 8 am (7 am local)!  I'm already tired...

I am estimating the game to take 2.5 hours to complete.  I think both teams run the ball quite a bit so think this is fair.  Agree?  So this would have the game ending about 8:30 pm EST (7:30 pm CST).  I would think you would need about an hour to get all equipment and players ready to roll back to Marion around 9:30 pm EST (8:30 pm CST).

Now another 7 hour travel period has you rolling back into Marion at 4:30 am EST (3:30 am CST).  Wow!

Again, I appreciate the effort to challenge and grow your program, but I am surprised this one is still going to happen this strange year.  Best of luck to both teams!

And my goodness, safe travels Rockets!!!

• Like 1

Seeing a schedule laid out like that really drives home how ambitious an undertaking this is for Crittenden. Not to mention, they're driving all that way to play a really good football team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Seeing a schedule laid out like that really drives home how ambitious an undertaking this is for Crittenden. Not to mention, they're driving all that way to play a really good football team.

AND, this game just switched from a home game to a road game very recently so they haven't had a lot of time to prepare for it.

Common sense won out!  Trade a 7 hour one-way trip for roughly a half out trip - one way!

Although I would have liked to have seen how it played out, this was the right call.

Hope Paintsville can find a game now.

Hate it that Paintsville gets left high and dry, but definitely the smart decision.

Paintsville vs. Lawrence County would make sense as a last minute pickup!

To add some humor..this whole thing reminded me of an old Ron White joke to pay homage to.

" So Crittenden County agreed to travel to Paintsville in the middle of the pandemic because apparently their AD doesn't OWN A GLOBE."

29 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Common sense won out!  Trade a 7 hour one-way trip for roughly a half out trip - one way!

Although I would have liked to have seen how it played out, this was the right call.

Hope Paintsville can find a game now.

Paintsville could have had a game with a team that was a five minutes away when they scheduled Crittenden County. So common sense was never a part of the process. 

1 minute ago, Czar said:

Paintsville could have had a game with a team that was a five minutes away when they scheduled Crittenden County. So common sense was never a part of the process. 

It is for Crittenden County when you trade a 7-hour trip for a 30 minute trip.

3 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

It is for Crittenden County when you trade a 7-hour trip for a 30 minute trip.

I agree for Crittenden it was a no brainer. My comment was directed towards Paintsville for scheduling that long of a trip when they could have driven five minutes to Johnson Central who was also needing a game at that time. The game was originally scheduled at Crittenden County.