Colonels_Wear_Blue

Beechwood at Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 09/18/2020 at 11:00 PM

Beechwood got their 2020 football season off to the start they had hoped for by driving down to Corbin and beating the 4A Redhounds for a second straight year, leaning the recent renewal of the series in favor of the Tigers 3 wins to 1. The game was a defensive battle with Beechwood posting 318 total yards offense, and Corbin posting 242 yards total offense. To put it simply for the Tigers offense, third-year starter Cam Hergott was the game plan on Friday, with QB Hergott going 13-22 passing for 172 yards, and rushing 21 times for 132 yards and a touchdown. Senior RB Cole Stammer ran in Beechwood's other touchdown, while the remaining 8 points were tallied by kicker Colin Graman on 2 extra points and 2 field goals.

Covington Catholic also started their season with a win, heading to Dixie Heights and beating the 6A Colonels 21-14 in a game that went a little less smoothly than they may have hoped. Despite leading 21-0 at the half, Cov Cath's offense was out-gained for the first time in 12 games, with Dixie putting up 245 total yards offense to Cov Cath's 200 yards. Cov Cath also turned the ball over 5 times in the game. Their defense was clearly drained by the time the 4th quarter rolled around, after spending the majority of the second half on the field, with the red Colonels maintaining possession of the football for 16 plays more than the blue Colonels. With many new faces among the starters - particularly on the defense and on the O-line - holding on for a win does carry its own virtue. But will it be enough to carry them against the rival Beechwood Tigers, who will be arriving in Park Hills on Friday fired up and ready to end a 5-game losing streak against Cov Cath?

Series history stands at 23 wins for Covington Catholic and 16 wins for Beechwood. Who will win round #40?

Also of note in the this week's game:
Friday will be the first time a varsity football game featuring Artie Steinmetz is played in Park Hills since 1996. Artie Steinmetz (CCH '97) was an All-State defensive tackle for the Colonels in the mid-1990s, and went to Michigan State University on a football scholarship before transferring to Kentucky after his freshman year. He passed away in a car accident in November 1998 while red-shirting as a sophomore at UK. His nephew - also Artie Steinmetz - is a senior offensive lineman/defensive end for Beechwood, and wears #94, as did his uncle during his time at Cov Cath. The Colonels officially retired #94 in 2017.

1414095873_CovCathvs.Beechwood2019.thumb.jpg.b31b348ecd8fd1499d6035e11d84ffe3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beechwood:
Total Wins - 16
Shutouts - 3
Total Points Scored - 655
Average Score - 16.79
Average Margin of Victory - 13.38

Covington Catholic:
Total Wins - 23
Shutouts - 2
Total Points Scored - 876
Average Score - 22.46
Average Margin of Victory - 18.91

• Like 1

This is the best chance Beechwood will have had in a few years. I'm sure they will come out ready to play their best ball. 

CovCath has a lot of things to clean up. We will see how much progress they can make in a week.

Sadly I think my tigers fall this week. Cov Cath I think is still a little out of reach for Beechwood, but this is their best opportunity to beat the colonels compared to recent years. 

5 hours ago, bluecolonels95 said:

Coach Eviston is 5-0 against Beechwood and by large margin of victories. I will take CCH but it could be a close game..

At Cov Cath. As head coach at Newport Central Catholic Eviston was 1-2 versus Beechwood. 

• Like 1

Obviously, I am with the Tigers, but Cov Cath has become a 5A powerhouse.  The Tigers have had surprise under dog victories in the past, so anything is possible.

At the very least, the Tigers have always sharpened their teeth against future opponents following the Cov Cath game.  Win or lose they will be better for it.

• Like 1

I'm picking the small school!

As @Tigerpride94 pointed out, if CovCath is the best in 5A, this should be a win, and a comfortable one IMO.

• Like 2

These are always tough to say since I only watch CovCath games and early on, you’re just going off scores and what you read on here for the other team, which a small sample size.

However, I’ll go

CovCath 24

Beechwood 13

I hope I’m wrong, but I’m expecting this to be a battle. The CovCath passing game will look better, it always does after some initial game reps. I’d also like to see them try to get Schneider at slot receiver the ball more since he was the only one on offense last week that looked like he had some juice with the ball in his hands. 

I don’t think Beechwood’s passing attack is good enough to beat us, but if they are improved it could get interesting. 

I think CovCath's superior numbers win out in the end, but I also believe Beechwood has a team that's capable of preventing this game from getting out of hand, like it has in recent years.

Hergott needs some guys to step up in the run game to help alleviate some of the load on his shoulders, though. As @Colonels_Wear_Blue pointed out, he did virtually everything but block for the Tigers' offense last week.

2 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

I think CovCath's superior numbers win out in the end, but I also believe Beechwood has a team that's capable of preventing this game from getting out of hand, like it has in recent years.

Hergott needs some guys to step up in the run game to help alleviate some of the load on his shoulders, though. As @Colonels_Wear_Blue pointed out, he did virtually everything but block for the Tigers' offense last week.

Success in running the ball almost always depends on the guys in the trenches up front. 

29 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Success in running the ball almost always depends on the guys in the trenches up front. 

True. Is the offensive line a weak spot for Beechwood this year? Three running backs combined for ten carries against Corbin, while Hergott alone had 21 rushes. I would assume that will even out once they get a little deeper into the schedule.