TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 5A Football Rankings (9/14) - Discussion

Class 5A

As one falls, another ascends. Frederick Douglass could not take down North Hardin in the state's premier game, but Bowling Green turned heads around the Commonwealth by stunning St. Xavier. Covington Catholic will need aftershave after Dixie Heights gave them a game too close for comfort, they will need to correct their miscues against a Beechwood team willing to stun Northern Kentucky.  Speaking of close shaves, Scott County counted themselves fortunate to escape Bryan Station and now must hold court within their own county lines. Owensboro and South Warren rolled to victories, the Spartans take a major step up in competition against Central. Southwestern won a shootout over Wayne County and their Mr. Football candidate at RB, the Warriors hope to repeat the script against Azariah Israel and GRC.

1. Covington Catholic vs. 2A #3 Beechwood

2. Bowling Green at 6A Pleasure Ridge Park

3. Frederick Douglass -- OPEN

4. Owensboro vs. 6A Daviess County

5. South Warren vs. 4A #4 Central

6. Scott County vs. Great Crossing

7. South Oldham at 6A Oldham County

8. Southwestern vs. 6A #10 George Rogers Clark

9. North Bullitt at 4A Shelby County

10. Highlands at 6A Ryle

• Like 1

Wow, Cov Cath still at #1 after their sloppy week 1 performance. Except for their 2 play opening drive TD, CCH did not look that good at all on offense. Their offensive line has got to do a better job pushing the line and opening up holes for the RB. Caleb at QB got to be more consistent. Can't have 4 turnovers again either. I was wrong in week 1 prediction, thought they would blow out Dixie. Beechwood with the big win at Corbin. This week's game should be very interesting. I got faith though in my Colonels, Eviston will have them better prepared for this week's game. I would give the number one spot to Bowling Green for now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bowling Green has a very compelling case for #1, but they would have jumped all the way from 5 to 1 after just one week of play, and leapfrogged the champs in the process. Despite the bad optics of the Dixie Heights win, CovCath probably still gets the benefit of the doubt due to their very recent history.

If the unsatisfactory results continue for CovCath, and BG continues to thrive against a superior schedule, then another change at the top might be in order. But for now, the Colonels are back where they finished last year.

• Like 2

I think the poll is right it will play out as the season goes on. I think it looks right after just one week.

12 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

I think the poll is right it will play out as the season goes on. I think it looks right after just one week.

Agreed. More often than not, the BGP rankings are spot on by seasons end, if not sooner. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Highlands is not top 10.

Who do you think should be in their place? 

48 minutes ago, Bill W. said:

Who do you think should be in their place? 

Pick someone.  They are nowhere close to top 10 in state.  Just hope this is last year of this mess.

• Like 1

It really doesn't matter at this point, but Bowling Green is the clear #1.  Their week one can't be compared to anyone else's week one. Basing the ranking on anything else doesn't make any sense. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Pick someone.  They are nowhere close to top 10 in state.  Just hope this is last year of this mess.

Where should they be ranked in 5A?

27 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Where should they be ranked in 5A?

Not top 10.  Lost way too much from last year team that went 6-5 and lost in first round of playoffs.

1 minute ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Not top 10.  Lost way too much from last year team that went 6-5 and lost in first round of playoffs.

So, 11th?

Just now, Jack of all Trades said:

Come back to this topic after they have played 9 games.  

I'm just asking where you think they should be ranked. If you're that confident they aren't Top 10, seems like you'd have an idea where they should be.