Jump to content
Colonels_Wear_Blue

Covington Catholic 21 Dixie Heights 14

Recommended Posts

Dixie left points on the field, should have won this game. What a great contest. CovCath is going to be fine, Dixie will only get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, colonel-fan said:

If anybody read the prediction thread, at least one poster was calling for a closer than expected game. Dixie will be a solid team this year, as they were a solid team the last 8 games of the 2019 season. Kudos to the Dixie kids for battling after being down 3 touchdowns at the half. They are a big team and have a chance to have a really good season.

As for the Blue Colonels, lots of new faces. This team is nowhere near the level they were at last season, but they have good coaches and time to improve. I saw only 1 returning o-lineman and 2 returning defensive starter from last year playing. Things went well enough in the 1st half. In the second half 4 turnovers make it tough to move the ball and eat clock. The defense battled hard and all things considered, did a nice job.

A whole lot of things to clean up, but the good news is working on them up after a W. On to the next one.

Well done. However, make the turnovers even at 2 each and the final score is 35-7 or worse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, colonel-fan said:

If anybody read the prediction thread, at least one poster was calling for a closer than expected game. Dixie will be a solid team this year, as they were a solid team the last 8 games of the 2019 season. Kudos to the Dixie kids for battling after being down 3 touchdowns at the half. They are a big team and have a chance to have a nice season.

As for the Blue Colonels, lots of new faces. This team is nowhere near the level they were at last season, but they have good coaches and time to improve. I saw only 1 returning o-lineman and 2 returning defensive starter from last year playing. Things went well enough in the 1st half. In the second half 4 turnovers make it tough to move the ball and eat clock. The defense battled hard and, all things considered, did a nice job.

A whole lot of things to clean up, but the good news is working on them up after a W. On to the next one.

That would be me. Sitting in the stands was painful to watch the 2nd Half with all the turnovers, but that was my entire point-I expected the game to be sloppy with CCH breaking in so many new starters and without your normal summer to prepare, there was no way this ended in a blowout with Dixie's veteran team. Nothing surprised me about this score. Caleb has to be better....period. When Skyler gets approved to play, Caleb will have a go-to when the line breaks down. The defense won this game when the offense continuously turned the ball over the 2nd Half giving Dixie short field position over and over. Eddie will have a field day with these guys this week challenging them, and making adjustments.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Well done. However, make the turnovers even at 2 each and the final score is 35-7 or worse. 

But you can’t change it, and Dixie did force the turnovers. I hate when teams or fans use an excuse like this to say the game “shouldn’t have been this close” or “we shouldn’t have lost”. It’s insulting to the team that caused the turnovers. Dixie played a role in causing those turnovers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

But you can’t change it, and Dixie did force the turnovers. I hate when teams or fans use an excuse like this to say the game “shouldn’t have been this close” or “we shouldn’t have lost”. It’s insulting to the team that caused the turnovers. Dixie played a role in causing those turnovers.

Yes and no. I agree about the excuse making. I don't like that either.

However, when it comes to turnovers, you can change it. Turnovers are most often mistakes by an offense versus "forced" by a defense. Teams can absolutely control their turnovers. It is much easier for an offense to do things to reduce their turnovers than for a defense to do something that suddenly creates turnovers. For example, perhaps Cov Cath had a 21-0 lead and decided to try to do some things in the second half which led to the turnovers. I did not watch the whole game and did not see the turnovers so I can't say why they happened.

However, you are right. Turnovers also are a statement about team quality. Better, more talented teams will turn the ball over less and will "create" more turnovers. Perhaps Dixie's talent is a lot better than it has been and Cov Cath is less talented than they have been. Over a season, better more talented teams turn the ball over less than weaker less talented teams.

I do know this. Arguably the most important stat in a football game is turnovers. In the NFL, teams with zero turnovers in a game win about 75% of the time. Teams with 4 or more turnovers almost never win a game. Teams that win the turnover battle in a game, win 75% of the time. I always look at it as every turnover is worth 7 points in the game. If one team has 4 turnovers and the other 2, the team with 2 turnovers picked up a 14 point swing in the game. If you see an upset in the NFL, the first thing to check is turnovers. If the Bengals beat the Chiefs this year, a huge factor will be because the Bengals somehow won the turnover battle, and probably by 2 or more turnovers.

I don't consider pointing out the turnovers by CCH an excuse. We won't know till the season moves on if those turnovers were more mistakes by CCH or because of Dixie talent. But in the grand scheme of things, a 4 turnover advantage to Dixie should be worth 28 points for them on the scoreboard. And yet they still lost the game. They tells me CCH is better than them and more than a one TD difference better.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Yes and no. I agree about the excuse making. I don't like that either.

However, when it comes to turnovers, you can change it. Turnovers are most often mistakes by an offense versus "forced" by a defense. Teams can absolutely control their turnovers. It is much easier for an offense to do things to reduce their turnovers than for a defense to do something that suddenly creates turnovers. For example, perhaps Cov Cath had a 21-0 lead and decided to try to do some things in the second half which led to the turnovers. I did not watch the whole game and did not see the turnovers so I can't say why they happened.

However, you are right. Turnovers also are a statement about team quality. Better, more talented teams will turn the ball over less and will "create" more turnovers. Perhaps Dixie's talent is a lot better than it has been and Cov Cath is less talented than they have been. Over a season, better more talented teams turn the ball over less than weaker less talented teams.

I do know this. Arguably the most important stat in a football game is turnovers. In the NFL, teams with zero turnovers in a game win about 75% of the time. Teams with 4 or more turnovers almost never win a game. Teams that win the turnover battle in a game, win 75% of the time. I always look at it as every turnover is worth 7 points in the game. If one team has 4 turnovers and the other 2, the team with 2 turnovers picked up a 14 point swing in the game. If you see an upset in the NFL, the first thing to check is turnovers. If the Bengals beat the Chiefs this year, a huge factor will be because the Bengals somehow won the turnover battle, and probably by 2 or more turnovers.

I don't consider pointing out the turnovers by CCH an excuse. We won't know till the season moves on if those turnovers were more mistakes by CCH or because of Dixie talent. But in the grand scheme of things, a 4 turnover advantage to Dixie should be worth 28 points for them on the scoreboard. And yet they still lost the game. They tells me CCH is better than them and more than a one TD difference better.

 

 

And that is why you are the voice of reason! 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to give a shout out to Pierce Rohlman of Dixie, kid battled all night and ran the ball hard in the second half.  Left with what looked some painful cramps and came back a short time later to keep fighting.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the scheme of things, this game was exactly what CCH needed.  Don't get me wrong, as a CCH fan, it is nice to have the running clocks, but I think this team needs to face some adversity.  With so many new faces, most of which were used to coming in with a running clock, last night had to be an eye opener for them.  Dixie played hard and has some very good players that did not back down, even down 21-0, kudos to them.  

I actually take a lot out of the win last night.  Caleb most likely had the worst game he will have this year (at least I hope so), the team had four turnovers, and CCH was able to win with so many new starters.  Eddie got exactly what he needed to light a fire under this team.  Lets hope this game is similar to the Lex Cath game last year and lights a fire under this team to get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Yes and no. I agree about the excuse making. I don't like that either.

However, when it comes to turnovers, you can change it. Turnovers are most often mistakes by an offense versus "forced" by a defense. Teams can absolutely control their turnovers. It is much easier for an offense to do things to reduce their turnovers than for a defense to do something that suddenly creates turnovers. For example, perhaps Cov Cath had a 21-0 lead and decided to try to do some things in the second half which led to the turnovers. I did not watch the whole game and did not see the turnovers so I can't say why they happened.

However, you are right. Turnovers also are a statement about team quality. Better, more talented teams will turn the ball over less and will "create" more turnovers. Perhaps Dixie's talent is a lot better than it has been and Cov Cath is less talented than they have been. Over a season, better more talented teams turn the ball over less than weaker less talented teams.

I do know this. Arguably the most important stat in a football game is turnovers. In the NFL, teams with zero turnovers in a game win about 75% of the time. Teams with 4 or more turnovers almost never win a game. Teams that win the turnover battle in a game, win 75% of the time. I always look at it as every turnover is worth 7 points in the game. If one team has 4 turnovers and the other 2, the team with 2 turnovers picked up a 14 point swing in the game. If you see an upset in the NFL, the first thing to check is turnovers. If the Bengals beat the Chiefs this year, a huge factor will be because the Bengals somehow won the turnover battle, and probably by 2 or more turnovers.

I don't consider pointing out the turnovers by CCH an excuse. We won't know till the season moves on if those turnovers were more mistakes by CCH or because of Dixie talent. But in the grand scheme of things, a 4 turnover advantage to Dixie should be worth 28 points for them on the scoreboard. And yet they still lost the game. They tells me CCH is better than them and more than a one TD difference better.

 

 

When put in these terms I agree. I’ve just head to many times in the past, that “if this or that hadn’t happened” (which includes more than just turnovers), “things would have been different”. The point is those “things” happen, and they generally happen for a reason. Although I do think the defense plays a larger role in most turnovers than the offense “just making mistakes”. Often, those mistakes are caused by good play, good schemes, and good execution by the defense.
 

I didn’t see this game either. And who knows what either team is really like, with such a brief pre season, and such a crazy off season. But this being a one score game is maybe the biggest shocks I’ve seen in a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long time reader, first time poster. A couple thoughts on the game last night from a Cov Cath fan's perspective:

 
1. It's good to get a win. I know some of the people around the program were concerned about coming out flat and getting beat. First scrimmages (or first games in college) are always choppy as you try to get your rhythm so you'll take this result especially with so many new faces. 
 
2. The talent level looks clearly down, but it's down because your high end guys aren't as good. That is to be expected when you graduate all the recent D1 guys that they have had. There is no way this is the number 1 team in the class or even probably top 3. This is probably the lowest that it has been since Eddie's first year. That's not necessarily a slight since the last 4 years have been pretty incredible, but the top end guys just aren't there except for maybe Reardon.  
 
3. I actually think Dixie is good. It wouldn't surprise me if they are in the top 4-5 teams in NKY. They have some nice players and are going to have a good season. 
 
4. The offense was rough last night. There is no explosiveness in the run game, so it's going to be up to Caleb all year. He'll be the first to tell you that he needs to be better and I obviously think he will be, however I think you're going to see a lot of games like this all year from the offense. Eddie will scheme them up at least 2 TD's every game, but it's going to be up to Caleb to be consistently more accurate if they are going to move the ball. 
 
5. I was really impressed by the defense. With all the new faces and no longer having the Brian Urlacher/Rob Gronkowski hybrid playing inside linebacker, they were really tough against the run. Also, even though it's a relatively simple scheme, I'm impressed with the little things that they do, in particular pre-snap in the secondary to give the opposing Q different looks. 
 
6. The good news is they have one of, if not the best, coaching staffs in the state so the team will improve as the season goes on. They really need Schmidt to get cleared to increase their ceiling but this is not the same team from year's past where they are running clocking everyone by halftime.
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

Long time reader, first time poster. A couple thoughts on the game last night from a Cov Cath fan's perspective:

 
1. It's good to get a win. I know some of the people around the program were concerned about coming out flat and getting beat. First scrimmages (or first games in college) are always choppy as you try to get your rhythm so you'll take this result especially with so many new faces. 
 
2. The talent level looks clearly down, but it's down because your high end guys aren't as good. That is to be expected when you graduate all the recent D1 guys that they have had. There is no way this is the number 1 team in the class or even probably top 3. This is probably the lowest that it has been since Eddie's first year. That's not necessarily a slight since the last 4 years have been pretty incredible, but the top end guys just aren't there except for maybe Reardon.  
 
3. I actually think Dixie is good. It wouldn't surprise me if they are in the top 4-5 teams in NKY. They have some nice players and are going to have a good season. 
 
4. The offense was rough last night. There is no explosiveness in the run game, so it's going to be up to Caleb all year. He'll be the first to tell you that he needs to be better and I obviously think he will be, however I think you're going to see a lot of games like this all year from the offense. Eddie will scheme them up at least 2 TD's every game, but it's going to be up to Caleb to be consistently more accurate if they are going to move the ball. 
 
5. I was really impressed by the defense. With all the new faces and no longer having the Brian Urlacher/Rob Gronkowski hybrid playing inside linebacker, they were really tough against the run. Also, even though it's a relatively simple scheme, I'm impressed with the little things that they do, in particular pre-snap in the secondary to give the opposing Q different looks. 
 
6. The good news is they have one of, if not the best, coaching staffs in the state so the team will improve as the season goes on. They really need Schmidt to get cleared to increase their ceiling but this is not the same team from year's past where they are running clocking everyone by halftime.

Welcome to BGP @CCHFC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CCHFC said:

Long time reader, first time poster. A couple thoughts on the game last night from a Cov Cath fan's perspective:

 
1. It's good to get a win. I know some of the people around the program were concerned about coming out flat and getting beat. First scrimmages (or first games in college) are always choppy as you try to get your rhythm so you'll take this result especially with so many new faces. 
 
2. The talent level looks clearly down, but it's down because your high end guys aren't as good. That is to be expected when you graduate all the recent D1 guys that they have had. There is no way this is the number 1 team in the class or even probably top 3. This is probably the lowest that it has been since Eddie's first year. That's not necessarily a slight since the last 4 years have been pretty incredible, but the top end guys just aren't there except for maybe Reardon.  
 
3. I actually think Dixie is good. It wouldn't surprise me if they are in the top 4-5 teams in NKY. They have some nice players and are going to have a good season. 
 
4. The offense was rough last night. There is no explosiveness in the run game, so it's going to be up to Caleb all year. He'll be the first to tell you that he needs to be better and I obviously think he will be, however I think you're going to see a lot of games like this all year from the offense. Eddie will scheme them up at least 2 TD's every game, but it's going to be up to Caleb to be consistently more accurate if they are going to move the ball. 
 
5. I was really impressed by the defense. With all the new faces and no longer having the Brian Urlacher/Rob Gronkowski hybrid playing inside linebacker, they were really tough against the run. Also, even though it's a relatively simple scheme, I'm impressed with the little things that they do, in particular pre-snap in the secondary to give the opposing Q different looks. 
 
6. The good news is they have one of, if not the best, coaching staffs in the state so the team will improve as the season goes on. They really need Schmidt to get cleared to increase their ceiling but this is not the same team from year's past where they are running clocking everyone by halftime.

That is as good as it gets for a first time post. Welcome aboard!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

That is as good as it gets for a first time post. Welcome aboard!

I know right, elite!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cov Cath JV beat Dixie froshmore 40-12.

I'm not sure if he played today in the JV game, or if there was just a good bit of discussion about him at the JV game, but Zion Mason was at Cooper last year and was moved up to varsity about halfway through the season. In five games he ended up with 14 catches for 156 yards, and he led the defense for the season with 3 interceptions.

Mason is now at Cov Cath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Cov Cath JV beat Dixie froshmore 40-12.

I'm not sure if he played today in the JV game, or if there was just a good bit of discussion about him at the JV game, but Zion Mason was at Cooper last year and was moved up to varsity about halfway through the season. In five games he ended up with 14 catches for 156 yards, and he led the defense for the season with 3 interceptions.

Mason is now at Cov Cath.

What number is Zion? So that's the Cooper transfer I've heard really good things about. I'm surprised he didn't get on the field on Friday after looking at his Hudl. I wonder if he is eligible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.