theguru

Simon Kenton 27 Highlands 14

5 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Disagree that frosh scores cannot show ‘potential’ at varsity level.  A good coach that follows his program can recognize talent, develop and mold it for use at the varsity level.  Highlands lacks big time in the recognition part right now and you see the results at the varsity level.  It is not about making friends with kids or their families, it is about winning football games by finding your best talents and making full use of their skills.  Not continually trying to put square pegs in round holes.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Do you honestly believe frosh ball does not show “potential”?  If so, could not disagree more.  There are also kids that may not show “potential”, but develop over time in the program, that is not really happening right now.  

Again, where did I say it doesn't?  I specifically said (at least twice ) that it can be a good indicator, but that it's not always completely reflective of what the future holds. A lot can happen to  a freshman class over 4 years. Somtimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Stud freshman don't always turn out to be stud juniors and seniors, and the opposite can be true too.  And sometimes freshman are stud enough to be able to play varsity, or JV which affects the success of the Freshman team. Again, I don't think SK's freshman team last year was necessarily reflective of whats to come, because the QB of that class was the varsity starter. And freshman ball in no way predicts how well the freshman team will mesh with future classes. Sometimes classes don't fit well together, such as when you're really deep at some positions, but not so deep at others. Varsity ball is about how well classes fit together.  Freshman ball is about talent in one class. And when you have consistent talented classes, then yes, you will likely be successful.

I like my teams chances in the future if I have a succesful Freshman team.  I'd rather be successful at that level than not. But all is not lost if you don't. Playing experience and development is more important at that level than wins and losses.

• Like 4