PP1

I Hate Fishing: My personal Funny Story

While I do have fond memories of going out on Lake Michigan with my Lebanese-Grandfather, this particular practice has been the bane of my existence. My son noticed some boys walking down the street carrying fishing poles and asked me to take him fishing. After weeks of putting him off we finally went to Dick's and I bought him a 25 dollar pole and spent 20 dollars on a partially furnished tackle box. I Hate Fishing.

I took him a few days ago to this little pond in Villa Hills. My son decided that we should use hot-dogs for bait because he saw some guys on youtube using it.

After walking down this little grassy hill in the sun we picked out spot. I stuck my finger while putting the bobber on the line and then I could not get the piece of hot-dog to stay on the hook. I Hate Fishing. I cast the line out to the pond and give it to my son to hold. He decided to reel in reverse, thus tangling line inside the cover. I Hate Fishing.

I cannot untangle the line so I pull off the cover and use my teeth to break the line. I then unwind the line from this little spindle and put the line through the little holes on the pole. It is at this moment that five ducks come over and begin bothering me.

I tie another hook on to the line and stick my finger again. I Hate Fishing.

Two ducks keep rubbing up against my leg and will not leave us alone. We walk and they follow. I tie another bobber onto the line and prepare to put another piece of hot-dog on the hook. After successfully baiting the hook I give the rod to my son to hold. My son lowers the pole to the ground and one of the ducks eats the piece of hot dog. The duck waddles away and I realize that the hook is inside the duck somewhere. The duck attempts to fly but comes back down. He attempts to tun and stops and turns around. I do not know what to do. I told my son to back away and put the rod on the ground. I Hate Fishing.

I'm thinking I can pull the rod back and forth in an attempt to dislodge the hook from wherever it is caught inside the duck. I decide not to do that out of fear that the duck will go flying like crazy or it's insides will come spewing out. The duck continues to stare at me and quack as the sun is beating on my head. I pick the pole up and use my teeth to bite the line. The duck walks off. I grab my son and we run to the car and go to Rio Grande Restaurante for Mexican food.

So over the course of 25 minutes I managed to stick myself two times, lose two hooks, lose two bobbers, sweat like crazy, and hooked a duck. 

I Hate Fishing.

11 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

You know what they say about a bad day of fishing....😜

Can't say that I do. I'm kind of curious though.

Just now, PP1 said:

It's better than a good day at work!

35 minutes ago, PP1 said:

34 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It's better than a good day at work!

I am with PP1 on fishing. For me, I enjoy a good day at work much more than almost any day of fishing.

5 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am with PP1 on fishing. For me, I enjoy a good day at work much more than almost any day of fishing.

I love water, so I'll never have any kind of day at work that will come close to a day on the water. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Me too.  Despite having a father and Uncles who are/were avid fisherman, and doing it a lot when I was younger, fishing is not high on my list of things to do. The exception is I do enjoy deep sea fishing, mostly because I like being out on a boat.

I hate everything about fish and fishing. I hate the smell of fish and I would definitely never eat a fish. Fishing itself is the epitome boredom. I know people that love fishing but I don't see it.

PP1 - God love you for trying, but some folks are not cut out for fishing, and I'm pretty sure you are one of those people.

There are many different types of fishing.  What you were doing is called "Bair and Wait."  Put your worm on a hook, throw it out there and hope for the best.  IF you ever get the urge, or if your son gets to urge to go fishing again, have somewone go with you who knows what they are doing.  I would have brought a couple of poles, already rigged up, and some wax worms, and we would have caught some bluegills - they are easy to catch.  I've never used a hot dog in my life, some kids do, but red worms (not nightcrawlers) and wax worms stay on the hook, and you would have probably caught something.

Bass fishing and ocean fishing are something altogether different.

I was lucky.  Although my dad did not fish, I had two uncles who did, and they included me, along with their kids in their outings.  We started with cane poles and caught bluegills.  I was hooked (not stuck) for life.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mustang said:

PP1 - God love you for trying, but some folks are not cut out for fishing, and I'm pretty sure you are one of those people.

t.

I was lucky.  Although my dad did not fish, I had two uncles who did, and they included me, along with their kids in their outings.  We started with cane poles and caught bluegills.  I was hooked (not stuck) for life.

Mustang, I caught a duck. How many other fishermen can claim that?

• Haha 1

I’m in the category of people who don’t like fishing. I started as early as about 6 years old when my dad would take the family to a local pond and we used cane poles to fish for bluegills. 
I’ve been on several fishing outings over the years but it’s something that never caught on with me.

A couple of friends talked me into going with them to a house boat at Norris Lake in Tennessee back in the late 1980’s when we had a week off from work. I tried to fish along with them and make the most of it but that was the most boring week I have ever spent anywhere in my life. Luckily I took a couple of novels along with me to help pass the time. 

Posted (edited)
On 8/18/2020 at 7:48 AM, PP1 said:

Mustang, I caught a duck. How many other fishermen can claim that?

I can honestly say that I've never caught a duck.  Seagulls yes!!!   Ducks no.

I've caught two seagulls while throwning suface baits, they will swoop right on down and grab it.  Very strange sensation, reeling in something from above you, crapping like a goose, instead of from below you.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #8

This thread sounds like a Garry Schandling bit.  

I bet most of you that hate fishing, don't see a problem with this photo.

20200821_225147.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I bet most of you that hate fishing, don't see a problem with this photo.

20200821_225147.jpg

Upside down?