Randy Parker

What decision would you make with football?

What decision would you make regarding High School Football  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What decision do you make?

• Yes, I would have a season (if yes, please specify what your season would look like in the thread)
    • No, I would not have a season

I would have a season. The way I would conduct it would be for every school to play their district schedule and then as many non-district opponents needed to get schedule full to 8 opponents, if school chooses to give up a bye week. With a few exceptions, everyone makes the playoffs so they can begin November 6th and run the 5 weeks. Obviously there are holes here because it just doing this off the cuff, but I would ensure there would be a possible two extra weeks built in for insurance in case during the playoffs a team or teams need to quarantine their team. But during the regular season if a team can't play then it counts as a 1 win, 1 lose for each team and we keep going. Teams must submit to "my office" a protocols and procedure that they will implement during practice and games to ensure safest environment. Also, fans will be allowed. Each player and coach will be allotted 4 tickets. Each player will need to have at least one parent or guardian at the game.  

I believe the current plan the KHSAA has set up for this season works great. 

• Like 2

Practice can start when in-person school is safe. 

6 games: district and extras needed.  
Top 2 go to playoffs. 
If that starts Oct. 1, Nov. 1,  Dec. 1, etc so be it. 

I just can’t see sports while school can’t be in session. 

I like the schedule the KHSAA has been place right now the only thing I might would change is cutting one playoff game in favor of an additional regular season game against a more competitive team with the talents each team has on their roster. And no I’m not saying cutting the playoffs down permanently just this year because of the condensed timeframe.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 2:23 PM, Hellcats said:

Practice can start when in-person school is safe. 

6 games: district and extras needed.  
Top 2 go to playoffs. 
If that starts Oct. 1, Nov. 1,  Dec. 1, etc so be it. 

I just can’t see sports while school can’t be in session. 

I think if we go with that then schools will be more likely to start in person classes quicker than suggested.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:53 AM, LongTimeReader said:

I would have a season. The way I would conduct it would be for every school to play their district schedule and then as many non-district opponents needed to get schedule full to 8 opponents, if school chooses to give up a bye week. With a few exceptions, everyone makes the playoffs so they can begin November 6th and run the 5 weeks. Obviously there are holes here because it just doing this off the cuff, but I would ensure there would be a possible two extra weeks built in for insurance in case during the playoffs a team or teams need to quarantine their team. But during the regular season if a team can't play then it counts as a 1 win, 1 lose for each team and we keep going. Teams must submit to "my office" a protocols and procedure that they will implement during practice and games to ensure safest environment. Also, fans will be allowed. Each player and coach will be allotted 4 tickets. Each player will need to have at least one parent or guardian at the game.  

I like all of that except for the last sentence. I know many players who live in a situation where a single parent (guardian) or both parents (gardians) must work during game times.

The season should consist of 8 regular season games regionally played, no sense in unnecessary travel more than 1/2 hour or so. Only top 2 teams in district to playoffs and possibly additional games for none playoff teams to get to 10 games on the year.

I’m hearing the OHSAA is incredibly worried about financial solvency with no fall sports.  I hate that, that has to even be a factor.

I don’t know KY’s situation, Indiana might be in the same boat as Ohio.

2 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I’m hearing the OHSAA is incredibly worried about financial solvency with no fall sports.  I hate that, that has to even be a factor.

I don’t know KY’s situation, Indiana might be in the same boat as Ohio.

Money is an issue for everyone and I would think the KHSAA really has to be hurting after the Sweet 16® fell victim to COVID. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Money is an issue for everyone and I would think the KHSAA really has to be hurting after the Sweet 16® fell victim to COVID. 

Tackett said in one of the meetings that their sponsors for the most part continued their donations, which certainly helped. But losing out on 8+ boys sessions of 10,000 fans and the same number of girls sessions at 5,000+ (each at roughly $15 per ticket) is nothing to laugh at. You have to think they'll do everything they can to play football and basketball with as many fans allowed as possible.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Tackett said in one of the meetings that their sponsors for the most part continued their donations, which certainly helped. But losing out on 8+ boys sessions of 10,000 fans and the same number of girls sessions at 5,000+ (each at roughly $15 per ticket) is nothing to laugh at. You have to think they'll do everything they can to play football and basketball with as many fans allowed as possible.

I agree!

Let the season start as now scheduled.  Indiana opens their season this Friday.  Take precautions sure but allow fans per social distancing guidelines.  If a stadium will hold 3000 then allow 500 with tickets allotted to parents and students first but without restrictions on parents attending.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluebird said:

Let the season start as now scheduled.  Indiana opens their season this Friday.  Take precautions sure but allow fans per social distancing guidelines.  If a stadium will hold 3000 then allow 500 with tickets allotted to parents and students first but without restrictions on parents attending.

I honestly think the fans are the easy part.  Very few stadiums are filled to capacity on Friday nights. For most, limiting fans to 50% capacity won’t be that hard. 

21 hours ago, swamprat said:

I like all of that except for the last sentence. I know many players who live in a situation where a single parent (guardian) or both parents (gardians) must work during game times.

Yes, I understand that. I would put it in my plan to help ensure some type of fan support would be allowed at the game. And I would think that would be a stance if brought to the higher ups in the school district would be hard for them to reject; unless they just rejected the season as a whole.