Jumper_Dad

Kenny Payne leaves for Knicks

Rumors are that the Knicks plan on targeting KAT during his free agency and this was the first step.

Huge loss for UK, Cal will have to knock his replacement out of the park.  Would Flint be enough?

11 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Huge loss for UK, Cal will have to knock his replacement out of the park.  Would Flint be enough?

It looks like we will find out, evidently he's the next hire.

12 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Anytime any school loses a top assistant. I don’t think anyone ever says, yeah the assistant we hired to replace him is just as good or better. Flint would be a great hire, would he be enough to say right away that he easily replaces Payne, not at all. 

Losing Payne hurts, in terms of recruiting and player development. One thing Cal has done a great job at in his career though, is adjusting. How he recruits may have to adjust some now, and even how he coaches. However, he has shown the ability to adjust well to changes. It definitely hurts losing Payne though, and Cal will need to make the needed adjustments. 

Just now, futurecoach said:

Anytime any school loses a top assistant. I don’t think anyone ever says, yeah the assistant we hired to replace him is just as good or better. Flint would be a great hire, would he be enough to say right away that he easily replaces Payne, not at all. 

Losing Payne hurts, in terms of recruiting and player development. One thing Cal has done a great job at in his career though, is adjusting. How he recruits may have to adjust some now, and even how he coaches. However, he has shown the ability to adjust well to changes. It definitely hurts losing Payne though, and Cal will need to make the needed adjustments. 

Is it a good idea to hire all “friends” in any walk of life?

5 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Is it a good idea to hire all “friends” in any walk of life?

It’s a good idea to hire great assistants around you. Which Flint and him had obvious success at Umass. Flint also now has 15 years of head coach experience, and now an assistant at another Power 5 school. You are acting like he may be hiring a nobody. 

If there was a slam dunk, can’t miss perfect assistant coach out there to hire to replace Payne. Chances are that guy wouldn’t still be an assistant to begin with. So I am not exactly sure what you are expecting with this next hire. 

5 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

It’s a good idea to hire great assistants around you. Which Flint and him had obvious success at Umass. Flint also now has 15 years of head coach experience, and now an assistant at another Power 5 school. You are acting like he may be hiring a nobody. 

If there was a slam dunk, can’t miss perfect assistant coach out there to hire to replace Payne. Chances are that guy wouldn’t still be an assistant to begin with. So I am not exactly sure what you are expecting with this next hire. 

No you didn’t digest my question, keep in mind we also have Tony Barbee with all of his “experience.”  I think Flint will be better, but it’s not much of a bar.

Man, this stings.  Kenny Payne has been a tremendous asset to the program.  

• Like 2

Just now, John Anthony said:

No you didn’t digest my question, keep in mind we also have Tony Barbee with all of his “experience.”  I think Flint will be better, but it’s not much of a bar.

Friends are fine to hire, especially when you have had success with them before. Which Calipari has had success with these guys before, when they were assistants for him at other places. 

Just look at possibly the greatest coach of all time in Coach K. He hires “friends” players he use to coach seemingly all the time to be assistants under him, and it has worked out well for him. Coaches want guys that know how they coach, and can teach the game the way they want it. 

It is not like Cal is hiring guys who he didn’t have success with previously, and just bringing them in just because. Just like Kenny Payne could end up being a failure in the NBA, and Cal could bring him back. Should he not do that, since Payne was his friend? 

Just now, futurecoach said:

Friends are fine to hire, especially when you have had success with them before. Which Calipari has had success with these guys before, when they were assistants for him at other places. 

Just look at possibly the greatest coach of all time in Coach K. He hires “friends” players he use to coach seemingly all the time to be assistants under him, and it has worked out well for him. Coaches want guys that know how they coach, and can teach the game the way they want it. 

It is not like Cal is hiring guys who he didn’t have success with previously, and just bringing them in just because. Just like Kenny Payne could end up being a failure in the NBA, and Cal could bring him back. Should he not do that, since Payne was his friend? 

We’ll see, maybe Club Cal will pay off and it leads us to #9.  Personally, I don’t like hiring friends.  Urban Meyer hired his best man in his wedding to replace Luke Fickell and it was the first guy Ryan Day let go.  Maybe it’s not apples to apples in this scenario.

Regarding hiring friends, I feel like it's simple.  You ask yourself, "Would I consider hiring this person if I did not have a close relationship with them?"  How that question is answered determines everything IMO.

17 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

We’ll see, maybe Club Cal will pay off and it leads us to #9.  Personally, I don’t like hiring friends.  Urban Meyer hired his best man in his wedding to replace Luke Fickell and it was the first guy Ryan Day let go.  Maybe it’s not apples to apples in this scenario.

At the end of the day many coaches will hire guys they are familiar with, or have had success with before. Which I agree with hiring people who you are only just familiar with is not always the best. However, hiring someone who you are not only familiar with but also have proven track record of having success with is not a bad thing. Especially when you are having to try to hire someone three months before you first scheduled game. Hiring someone you know and have had success with, is not bad at all in this case. 

24 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

At the end of the day many coaches will hire guys they are familiar with, or have had success with before. Which I agree with hiring people who you are only just familiar with is not always the best. However, hiring someone who you are not only familiar with but also have proven track record of having success with is not a bad thing. Especially when you are having to try to hire someone three months before you first scheduled game. Hiring someone you know and have had success with, is not bad at all in this case. 

I hear you, I totally get it.  I wonder if Cal even considered Antigua or if he’s damaged goods?