Big 10 Cancels Football Season

Jumper_Dad

Just now, cincydragons said:

Not sure what’s happened in last 3 days for the Big 10 to go from releasing a brand new schedule to canceling the season?

Maybe a sudden attack of common sense.     Although the decision to hold in-person classes leads me to believe that the school Presidents believe they stand to lose less by canceling football than by canceling live classes.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcpapa said:

Maybe a sudden attack of common sense.     Although the decision to hold in-person classes leads me to believe that the school Presidents believe they stand to lose less by canceling football than by canceling live classes.  

If we are talking common sense it seems to me that in-person classes on college campuses would be a much more effective way to spread a virus than college football. 

I am still of the opinion if you can have class you can play sports and if you can play sports you can have class but if you can't have class you can't play sports and if you can't play sports you can't have class. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, theguru said:

If we are talking common sense it seems to me that in-person classes on college campuses would be a much more effective way to spread a virus than college football. 

I am still of the opinion if you can have class you can play sports and if you can play sports you can have class but if you can't have class you can't play sports and if you can't play sports you can't have class. 

I’m with you on the “why one and not the other”.  But being the cynic I am, I’m inclined to believe that this is ultimately about money. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree.  Take UK for example.  They will have 30,000 students on campus next week.  But 100 of them playing football is too much?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John Anthony said:

There is no path forward that is medically safe for the kids.  This is what the admins have stepped in and said.

The most ironic part of this thinking, is there no way to 100% keep the kids safe if they play a season. But it’s a hell of a lot easier to keep them safe when they are on campus practicing every day than it is to send them home to places where they are thrown back in to society where they don’t get tested and interact with people who aren’t social distancing, wearing masks, etc. On campus, practicing where there are protocols in place to protect the players is infinitely safer than sending them home. The powers that be are being completely disingenuous saying this is in anyway about actually protecting the players. It’s about protecting the liability of the schools. They need to stop with the lip service. We all see right through it.