barrel

Limit on number of students dressing for games?

I saw this someplace else but other than that source I haven’t seen it mentioned. Did the KHSAA put a limit of 60 players that can dress? Like I said I haven’t seen anything on this other than from a post on another sports forum. 

Saw it on Twitter from someone who was verified but don’t remember who. 

• Thanks 1

From the KHSAA's press release:

To help ensure appropriate social distancing and until further notice, the Board established limits on players in uniform in regular season interscholastic competition to match current region and state event limits as such: Cross Country (10), Field Hockey (24), Soccer (24) and Volleyball (15) per contest. A limit was placed on Football as well with sixty players being permitted to be in uniform.

The way the KHSAA worded this was poor. The choice was made to limit the number of players who dress in order to ensure appropriate social distancing...but there is nothing stated in the rule that prevents teams with more than 60 kids on their roster from just dressing 60 kids and having the remainder of the players standing on the sideline in their civies - which puts those kids exactly in the same place they would be if they were dressed for the game.

Tell me we aren't going to see that happening...

• Like 1

Just now, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

The way the KHSAA worded this was poor. The choice was made to limit the number of players who dress in order to ensure appropriate social distancing...but there is nothing stated in the rule that prevents teams with more than 60 kids on their roster from just dressing 60 kids and having the remainder of the players standing on the sideline in their civies - which puts those kids exactly in the same place they would be if they were dressed for the game.

Tell me we aren't going to see that happening...

Given the circumstances, what would be the point of having players who weren't dressed on the sideline?

If 60 is an okay number for any sport why would any other sports be limited to less than 60.

We are living in a Bizarro world. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Given the circumstances, what would be the point of having players who weren't dressed on the sideline?

I don't disagree with you, at all. But what's the point in having injured players standing with the team on the sideline? I don't know if I've been to a game in the last 30 years where I haven't seen injured kids in their plain clothes standing on the sideline of their team. It's not like they're going to be tossing on pads and going in, but they're there.

Logic says, "the whole point is to help maintain the best social distancing measures possible," and realistically the best-case-scenario for maintaining social distancing would include the injured kids not being there on the sidelines, but I can't imagine I don't see non-dressed players on the sidelines at games this season.

You can get other kids involved. Running water. Running balls. Running endzone cam and filming. Let them wear their jerseys in stands. 

24 minutes ago, theguru said:

If 60 is an okay number for any sport why would any other sports be limited to less than 60.

We are living in a Bizarro world. 

Eghh, I see that rule to an extent, though.

Different sports utilize the bench in different ways. Professional soccer and professional football are both played with each team having 11 players on the field at once...but the way substitutions play out in soccer (only 3 substitutions per game) changes the approach entirely from football, which is played with no limit on substitutions. Less players seeing the field means less players needed per game, means less players needed on the sideline. Same basic premise compares to other sports as well.

9 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Eghh, I see that rule to an extent, though.

Different sports utilize the bench in different ways. Professional soccer and professional football are both played with each team having 11 players on the field at once...but the way substitutions play out in soccer (only 3 substitutions per game) changes the approach entirely from the football, which has no limit on substitutions. Less players seeing the field means less players needed per game, means less players needed on the sideline. Same basic premise compares to other sports as well.

I see it to an extent too but again if you can have 60 kiddos together for football all the rest of the numbers don't make sense. 

• Like 1

I guess 10 of St.X Frosh team will be practice players only.

25 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I guess 10 of St.X Frosh team will be practice players only.

70 Frosh players, awesome!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, theguru said:

70 Frosh players, awesome!

It’s actually a little bit down but seems to be trend everywhere.

• Thanks 1

Russell actually has 2A numbers but plays up in 3A.