Randy Parker

Gyros: Rate them on a 1-10 scale

Rate Gyros on a scale of 1-10  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What score would you give Gyros?

Solid 9 for me.  The traditional Greek kind is my preferred type.

How about you?

6.5/7.  Good, not great.  I like to have one every now and then.  It’s got to be a legit Greek Gyro.  Best ones I’ve had have been at the Greek Festival in Finneytown.

This depends highly....HIGHLY on the quality of the gyro.

My old company was one of the main corporate sponsors of the Panegyri Greek Festival in Cincinnati (which is the Greek festival @rjs4470 was referring too). The company owner's family was all Greek and we regularly had Greek fare around the office.

There are 4 basic components to a gyro: pita, doner kebab, greens (traditionally should be a small portion of Greek salad), and tzatziki. The two biggest issues that make a gyro go wrong, to me, are the quality of the pita, and the quality of the kebab meat. Tzatziki can definitely be done wrong too, but it's not an issue so often as the pita or the kebab are.

A well-done pita, to me, is about an 8. I would put shawarma just above it at a 9.

• Like 1

I'm lucky that I do not live far from the large Greek community in Tarpon Springs, FL. The Limani, Hellas, Mr. Souvlaki, and many more places to get the best Gyros. Love it. 

I love me a good Gyro, I just almost never get them cause they aren't easily found.

Usually always have one at the Taste of Cincy.

Can't do a traditional one, but a good chicken one is a solid 8 for me.  Mythos in downtown Cincinnati used to be the best ones.  I'd eat there at least every other week, if not once a week.

Pleasant Ridge Chili makes a solid Greek Gyro.

I love gyros but as mentioned earlier it really all depends on where you get it. I love authentic Greek lamb gyros, but there are a couple of gas stations (same owners) here in Ashland that serve great Indian food, as well as some traditional American food. Their take on a gyro is as good as I've ever had. Its essentially a traditional Greek gyro but they use an extra large piece of Naan for the breading and the lamb is seasoned with India style seasonings, everything else is traditional Greek style.

I typically won't turn down any gyro, even from Arby's if I'm not buying it. But Arby's would be around a 5 on a scale of 10, while a good gyro would be a 9 or 10 for me. 

A good gyro is undefeated. But they vary WIDELY.

Gyros on Main in Covington in the Mainstrasse is the bomb! My favorites before ever finding Gryos on Main (which has been open now a little over a half a year) was Chicago Gyros in Clifton near the University of Cincinnati, and Uncle Mo’s downtown Cincy on East 7th. 

I’ve never had a better gyro in my life than the gyros at Gyros on Main! And I like to add feta to mine as well. And then to top it off you’ll never find a better french fry. The fries alone are worth the visit. Wait til they cool off just a bit, but wow the taste, the crunch is amazing, addictive. And forget about dipping them in ketchup. Just dip those awesome fries in tzatziki sauce. Seriously Gyros on Main is the bomb! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Gyros on Main in Covington in the Mainstrasse is the bomb! My favorites before ever finding Gryos on Main (which has been open now a little over a half a year) was Chicago Gyros in Clifton near the University of Cincinnati, and Uncle Mo’s downtown Cincy on East 7th. 

I’ve never had a better gyro in my life than the gyros at Gyros on Main! And I like to add feta to mine as well. And then to top it off you’ll never find a better french fry. The fries alone are worth the visit. Wait til they cool off just a bit, but wow the taste, the crunch is amazing, addictive. And forget about dipping them in ketchup. Just dip those awesome fries in tzatziki sauce. Seriously Gyros on Main is the bomb! 

Sounds good.  Going to have to try that.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1