TheDeuce

Breonna Taylor Killed In Her Apartment by LMPD Officers

https://www.wave3.com/2020/09/15/city-reaches-agreement-with-breonna-taylors-family/

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - Attorneys for Breonna Taylor’s family have reached an agreement with the City of Louisville, WAVE 3 News Troubleshooters have learned.

The settlement includes a significant amount of money reaching into the millions of dollars, sources told WAVE 3 News. It is expected to be one of the largest settlements following an officer-involved shooting in Louisville police history.

Taylor, 26, was shot dead when LMPD narcotics officers served a warrant at her home on March 13.

The agreement also includes a long list of reforms for the police department. Some of those changes include policy updates for the way the department executes warrants. Other mandates address police accountability.

Good. Now charge them. And while we're at it, take the settlement out of the LMPD pension fund, not from taxpayers. 

Wonder what percentage the attorneys are taking for their fee?   40%?

Per the Kentucky wrongful death statute (KRS 411.130), it looks like  the net settlement proceeds will be paid in equal shares to her mother and father.....since she evidently had no spouse or children.

40 minutes ago, tcjkbt said:

Wonder what percentage the attorneys are taking for their fee?   40%?

Per the Kentucky wrongful death statute (KRS 411.130), it looks like  the net settlement proceeds will be paid in equal shares to her mother and father.....since she evidently had no spouse or children.

My paralegal days are 15+ years behind me, but the firm I worked at kind of prided itself in not really handling personal injury, wrongful death, or criminal defense. I was always told the going rate for the type of attorneys who based their fees on payout contingency was 30-40%...and that was accompanied with a heavy eyeroll because of the exorbitant number. Those attorneys apply heavy percentages on payouts to make up for the cases they spend time on and don't win...and in return, don't get paid for.

Breonna Taylor's family attorney who initially was representing them is Sam Aguiar, who is pretty much reputed locally to be an "ambulance-chaser" kind of an attorney. The jingle I remember hearing in the commercials when I moved down here was, "Hurt in a car? Call Sam Aguiar!"

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump stepped in on things a little later. Oftentimes when high profile legal teams come in on cases like this, they're being brought on by organizations the NAACP, ACLU...and either the organization is paying for Crump and his team, or they are doing it pro-bono. I wonder if Sam Agiuar and his team still tries to walk home with their cut of the settlement, to the tune of $3.6 million to $4.8 million dollars.

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

The settlement is rumored to be $12 million. 

Let the money not equal justice.

• Like 1