Randy Parker

Fill-in-the-blank: My favorite game to play when I was 10 was ___________________.

Kickball in the cul-de-sac.

I feel like we liked making forts in the woods by the creek or damns in the creek. Not really a game, but we spent a lot of time doing that.

Lots of basketball growing up with neighborhood kids.

Pickle or Kick-the-Can

Doctor.

Fishing or Whiffle Ball at that age...pretty much all I cared about.

Usually baseball (played a lot of what we called "strike-out" on school grounds after school and weekends), basketball or football. Played a lot of sock ball at St. John's schoolyard.

For a non-sport game we played a kind of hide & seek game but we hid out in neighborhood yards, in their trash cans, behind furniture on their porches, in their garages or sheds if open, etc. Yes, it was basically trespassing but it was the 60s and all the neighbors knew all us kids (We did get some grief from neighbors but I don't remember many of us getting into too much trouble over it). I think we called the game "runners".

Doctor.

Followed by a good game of spin the bottle?

Outside of the organized sports we all played, we did occasionally get in a game of tennis ball in the street (wiffle ball w a tennis ball, we used racket balls sometimes.) Never used a wiffle ball, I don't know why. used wball bats and really taped them up.I guess we tampered before it was a thing.

Kick the can was the game of choice in my neighborhood at age 10.

I didn't have that much free time on the farm when I was 10.

During the summer, we worked from sunrise to sundown. I generally ate supper, took a bath, and went to bed. Even Sunday was a workday back then with that pickle base we had. I hardly saw any other kids during the summer until after my freshman year in high school.

During the school year, before school, I fed the calves. After school, we worked the garden, then I shucked and shelled feed corn and fed the calves and hogs. That list doesn't include when it was time to dig potatoes, harvest the feed corn, hang tobacco, and strip tobacco.

What little free time I had I spent pretending I was playing baseball, knocking gravel into the fields with a tobacco stick, and playing with my matchbox cars.

And people ask me why I went into electronics and computers. :)

Kick the Can (at night) or wiffleball.

Baseball

I didn't have that much free time on the farm when I was 10.

During the summer, we worked from sunrise to sundown. I generally ate supper, took a bath, and went to bed. Even Sunday was a workday back then with that pickle base we had. I hardly saw any other kids during the summer until after my freshman year in high school.

During the school year, before school, I fed the calves. After school, we worked the garden, then I shucked and shelled feed corn and fed the calves and hogs. That list doesn't include when it was time to dig potatoes, harvest the feed corn, hang tobacco, and strip tobacco.

What little free time I had I spent pretending I was playing baseball, knocking gravel into the fields with a tobacco stick, and playing with my matchbox cars.

And people ask me why I went into electronics and computers. :)

Wow! I got mad because I couldn’t go out and play on Saturday until my Saturday chores were done. Mom, if you can hear me up there in heaven, I apologize!