Too bad Georgia doesn't have hate crime laws.

What would hate crime law do in this case that a murder conviction wouldn't?

Doesn't the conviction of a hate crime come with certain mandatory sentencing, meaning if a murder conviction in Georgia (I'm just making this up) could result in as little as five years, if it is determined to be a hate crime then there is harsher mandatory sentencing?

Doesn't the conviction of a hate crime come with certain mandatory sentencing, meaning if a murder conviction in Georgia (I'm just making this up) could result in as little as five years, if it is determined to be a hate crime then there is harsher mandatory sentencing?

A Georgia murder case is mandatory life, minimum sentence.

I understand if you attach hate crime to vandalism or some other crime, but I see no need for it on a murder case.

A Georgia murder case is mandatory life, minimum sentence.

I understand if you attach hate crime to vandalism or some other crime, but I see no need for it on a murder case.

Maybe it will tie in with when he is eligible for parole. Also, the conviction of a hate crime on his record might influence a parole board in the future.

I believe I've read that in some places it would make a murder charge eligible for the death penalty but I could be mistaken.

Basically, making sure whatever charge is penalized to the maximum extent possible.

I assume if there’s a hate crime charge attached and a guilty verdict, it would go towards motive.

But I really don’t know what I’m talking about.

I believe I've read that in some places it would make a murder charge eligible for the death penalty but I could be mistaken.

Basically, making sure whatever charge is penalized to the maximum extent possible.

Wouldn't it automatically kick it up to federal court with a hate crimes charge? Which means, if convicted, it's federal prison and not state prison.

Could it be possible that they could be charged with the Federal Statute of violating the victim's civil rights such as due process? Just spit balling.

Could it be possible that they could be charged with the Federal Statute of violating the victim's civil rights such as due process? Just spit balling.

Everything is in play. The foundation will be an illegal pursuit and detention, then it goes from there.

Defense says there’s other video footage. I’m guessing they aren’t going to reveal it until the trial.

The guy that filmed the video was arrested today for murder as well.

The guy that filmed the video was arrested today for murder as well.

I saw him in an interview a week or so ago. I thought he was protesting a bit too much, which made him look guilty. What an idiot! Why in the world would he video that? Had he not, they all would have gotten away with the crime. They all deserve to be locked away forever.

I saw him in an interview a week or so ago. I thought he was protesting a bit too much, which made him look guilty. What an idiot! Why in the world would he video that? Had he not, they all would have gotten away with the crime. They all deserve to be locked away forever.

Videoing was dumb but I assume guy didn’t think someone would get shot. I think were trying to detain Ahmad until police called but rightfully Ahmad fought back thinking he was being attacked and then was shot. These guys should have minded their own business but now likely going to prison for a long time.

Preliminary hearings have started in this case. Below you'll find an article describing some of the early testimony:

(CNN)William Bryan told investigators he heard Travis McMichael use a racial epithet after fatally shooting Ahmaud Arbery in Glynn County, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent testified Thursday during preliminary hearings.

Bryan told police McMichael said (removed for TOS) after three blasts from McMichael's shotgun left Arbery dead in the streets of the Satilla Shores neighborhood in February, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Richard Dial said. Body camera footage also showed a Confederate flag sticker on the toolbox of McMichael's truck, he said.

---

The allegations came as Dial outlined events that led to Arbery's death and said that before Arbery was shot, the three men charged in his murder engaged in an elaborate chase, hitting the 25-year-old jogger with a truck as he tried to escape them.

Asked if he believed McMichael could've been acting in self-defense, Dial said the opposite was true.

"I believe Mr. Arbery was being pursued, and he ran till he couldn't run anymore, and it was turn his back to a man with a shotgun or fight with his bare hands against the man with the shotgun. He chose to fight," he said. "I believe Mr. Arbery's decision was to just try to get away, and when he felt like he could not escape he chose to fight."

Ahmaud Arbery was hit with a truck before he died, and his killer allegedly used a racial slur, investigator testifies - CNN

In the above article, there is a video showing several different people going onto the same property as Ahmaud, at different times, including at night.