Tkinslow

Will there be high school football this fall?

Who delayed in person classes until September28th? Here in Hardin County, county, city and private schools all decided to proceed with original plans for in person classes either this week or next week.

I consider this a positive development since now waiting until after KHSAA meeting instead of making decision at Tue JCPS meeting.

2 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I consider this a positive development since now waiting until after KHSAA meeting instead of making decision at Tue JCPS meeting.

Seems like a silly statement by Pollio (no shocker there). If KHSAA canceled, JCPS wouldn't really have a say anyway. 

• Like 1

Just reading between the lines in the article, it sounds like JCPS will do what the majority of school districts decide pending the KHSAA decided to move forward with their plan. 

Just curious...my sense of things is that it's 50/50 how Thursday goes in terms of green lighting fall sports. I will say this though, the momentum - if you can call it that - does seem to be swinging towards KHSAA giving the green light. 

I have to ask though - and I don't fault anyone for answers on either side of this. IF there was one VERY SICK high school football player or young college football player due to the virus, would that sway any of you who are so gung ho on playing this year? 

10 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Just curious...my sense of things is that it's 50/50 how Thursday goes in terms of green lighting fall sports. I will say this though, the momentum - if you can call it that - does seem to be swinging towards KHSAA giving the green light. 

I have to ask though - and I don't fault anyone for answers on either side of this. IF there was one VERY SICK high school football player or young college football player due to the virus, would that sway any of you who are so gung ho on playing this year? 

If we are going to use that logic we shouldn't have in-person school or sports period because Influenza is more deadly for school aged children. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

I would go on the record and say I'm in favor of playing, and if a player or student became very ill and died I don't think I would change my stance. Since this pandemic started there have been a lot of comparison between Covid and the flu, but lets look at it a bit differently. What about heat stroke in terms of football players. Heat stroke cases seem to happen to a young kid at least once a year, but we as a society just keep moving forward. I see Covid and heat stroke more in the same ball park and how we as a society feel about it in terms of continuing sports. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

I would go on the record and say I'm in favor of playing, and if a player or student became very ill and died I don't think I would change my stance. Since this pandemic started there have been a lot of comparison between Covid and the flu, but lets look at it a bit differently. What about heat stroke in terms of football players. Heat stroke cases seem to happen to a young kid at least once a year, but we as a society just keep moving forward. I see Covid and heat stroke more in the same ball park and how we as a society feel about it in terms of continuing sports. 

Or you could look at it as how many children die in auto accidents going to and from school functions each year?  If we don't have any in-person instruction or sports those deaths are definitely all avoidable. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

While I think I understand what you are saying, COVID is in no way comparable to COVID.  If you come down with heatstroke, you can’t pass that on to your teammates, coaches, family members etc.  Heatstoke only affects the person who comes down with it.  And while COVID may not have a significant effect on you if you get it, it certainly could to whoever you might pass it on to.  

But as a society we've come up with ways to mitigate the risk in my example teenagers passing a way due to heat stroke. Heat index, frequent water breaks, heat acclimation, etc. So with Covid, why can the same idea not be taking for mitigation? School districts can not afford to test every single student, but why can't schools do things such as temperature checks and health questioneers to mitigate the spread? We either can do things as a society or we can't, there seems to be too much back and forth of what we can and can't do. Heat stroke and a virus aren't the same, but it's a risk families take when they send their child out to football practice, especially this time of year. 

9 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

But as a society we've come up with ways to mitigate the risk in my example teenagers passing a way due to heat stroke. Heat index, frequent water breaks, heat acclimation, etc. So with Covid, why can the same idea not be taking for mitigation? School districts can not afford to test every single student, but why can't schools do things such as temperature checks and health questioneers to mitigate the spread? We either can do things as a society or we can't, there seems to be too much back and forth of what we can and can't do. Heat stroke and a virus aren't the same, but it's a risk families take when they send their child out to football practice, especially this time of year. 

The problem is the powers that be pushed the "you do (or don't do) it to protect others" moral high ground manipulation to achieve control over everyone and now everyone that bought into that line of thinking is actually for keeping everything shutdown until we have a cure for COVID whether they realize it or not. 

In short LTR, that is what you and I and many others are up against and it is a daunting task.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

The problem is the powers that be pushed the "you do (or don't do) it to protect others" moral high ground manipulation to achieve control over everyone and now everyone that bought into that line of thinking is actually for keeping everything shutdown until we have a cure for COVID whether they realize it or not. 

That's not completely and wholly true. 

I am very much in the "do it to protect others" camp and I am 100% in favor of playing football. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

I am very much in the "do it to protect others" camp and I am 100% in favor of playing football. 

I am glad there are some exceptions like you Deuce. 

24 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I am too.  I'd like nothing more than to have a football season.  I just want it to be safe for everyone. Along those lines, this is a case where I'd much rather others blaze the trail. Let's learn and adapt from those who jumped first. 

What's most frustrating is the way we've been spinning our wheels all summer because so many have resisted some of the methods to get ahead of this thing.

8 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I am too.  I'd like nothing more than to have a football season.  I just want it to be safe for everyone. Along those lines, this is a case where I'd much rather others blaze the trail. Let's learn and adapt from those who jumped first. 

What's most frustrating is the way we've been spinning our wheels all summer because so many have resisted some of the methods to get ahead of this thing.

I don't think you are an exception. 

There is no way to "be safe" and play contact sports. 

What's frustrating to me is so many people thinking we are going to stop mother nature with a do-rag.

• Like 2