Tkinslow

Will there be high school football this fall?

All this may seem off topic about will there be football, but I think this is exactly what will determine if there is football this fall. Others said it above. If you want football this fall, do what it takes to control the virus cases. Wearing masks is at the top of the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongTimeReader said:

Kind of like teachers, minus the mask during normal years. 

Correct...

40 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

All this may seem off topic about will there be football, but I think this is exactly what will determine if there is football this fall. Others said it above. If you want football this fall, do what it takes to control the virus cases. Wearing masks is at the top of the list.

Football is already done for this season in my opinion, masks or no masks. Until we quit being scared of this virus as a whole this is the new normal. At least until we destroy the economy to the point that we have no option ofther than opening things back up. There will not be a vaccine prior to football season and even if there was it wouldn't have time to be tested among the general public to see if it works or not. So yeah, football isn't happening whether I wear a mask tomorrow or not and it has nothing to do with the mask, its due to fear mongering.

• Like 1

Just a little update I go out each Sunday morning around 8 to get food for my wife and me for the week, My wife is very high risk due to diabetes and severe lung issues. Today I went in Walmart, Meijer, and Kroger here in Lexington and in all 3 stores I saw 100% of the people wearing mask. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hazard High School has 9 Football players and a coach test positive for Covid-19. 

We were at the  Bluegrass showcase camp/combine Saturday the kids are ready to get back but after seeing just the general activity of the camp its going to be very very hard to control/contain covid from just the general day to day activities involved with practice. now throw in fans ,media, traveling, etc.....its going to be daunting to pull off.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JDEaston said:

Football is already done for this season in my opinion, masks or no masks. Until we quit being scared of this virus as a whole this is the new normal. At least until we destroy the economy to the point that we have no option ofther than opening things back up. There will not be a vaccine prior to football season and even if there was it wouldn't have time to be tested among the general public to see if it works or not. So yeah, football isn't happening whether I wear a mask tomorrow or not and it has nothing to do with the mask, its due to fear mongering.

Preach.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Big Things Kentucky said:

We were at the  Bluegrass showcase camp/combine Saturday the kids are ready to get back but after seeing just the general activity of the camp its going to be very very hard to control/contain covid from just the general day to day activities involved with practice. now throw in fans ,media, traveling, etc.....its going to be daunting to pull off.

One thing that football has on its side is it’s an outside sport.

2 hours ago, SouthSeas said:

Hazard High School has 9 Football players and a coach test positive for Covid-19. 

Yikes.

48 minutes ago, LongTimeReader said:

One thing that football has on its side is it’s an outside sport.

Definitely a positive.  The downside is the constant close contact, shared practice equipment, the elimination of hydration stations, facilities that place players in close contact, travel, and probably several other things not listed.  

It's so close quarters from all aspects locker room  team meetings the way they practice  huddles (though not so much now) its just  so social the combine really exposed that the coaches were there stressing spread out...they had masks disinfected sprays etc but like we stated its going to be a daunting task to pull off or better yet to finish they'll probably start but its the finish......

For fall sports, Tackett will have to be a great leader. Be sure to come up with policies, procedures, and protocols that he and his staff are committed to. Uncertainty allows for anxiety to creep in and start second guessing everything. Just like every school event, every year it’s about the safety of those involved, and implementing the safest way to to put on that school event.

We might end up following the NJ model. They are waiting until after school starts to begin the season. That way football doesn’t set back the start of school and they have a little time to see if school will have an effect on the season. There are a few states that have either started full go or will by next week. 

10 hours ago, SouthSeas said:

Wasn’t Hazard the school who’s principal said they were going to power through with practices ever if players tested positive?