Tkinslow

Will there be high school football this fall?

I sure hope your wrong

I’m not even sure we see public/private schooling in session. Please let me be wrong.

Believe me fellas, I very badly want to be wrong on this one as well. But I tend to think JA may be correct.

I think it all boils down to the schools if they open in the fall then why not have football if the students are around each other all day then it would be no worse to play sports.

When we start playing games we are going to be bringing kids from different places together, Beechwood v Corbin as a for instance. That opens up potential issues. And if you play high school games, you are going to have clusters of people. IMO it would be impossible to play HS games with no crowds.

I don’t think it’s looking good for the home team here. School’s won’t have enough funds to test players weekly like the pro’s will do when they get the go ahead. I think the best scenario will be half season maybe district games only. Each state we have to make the decision. It will be interesting to see what happens if one state says no but a border state gets to go ahead and play. I hoping Global warming kicks in and we have a very humid summer lol.

Too many knee jerk reactions going around right now. Let everything play out and see. The rebound isn’t supposed to happen until December, maybe cut the season to a 7-8 game season and then start playoffs.

We can’t keep cancelling and shutting down schools, businesses, and the like or this virus will be the least of our concerns.

I think we will have a season, however I don’t think it will be what we are use to. Maybe a 6 game schedule then playoffs with top two team from each district.

Or they might push football back, and have a shorter basketball and baseball season.

I think we will have a season, however I don’t think it will be what we are use to. Maybe a 6 game schedule then playoffs with top two team from each district.

Or they might push football back, and have a shorter basketball and baseball season.

I don’t think you would want to play football any later than it already is.

Those seasons are already shorter than football. You could easily delay the start of football until 8/15 (several states don't start until then anyway) , and still get 7 or 8 games in. You can't push football back any further and play championship games during the holiday season.

Those seasons are already shorter than football. You could easily delay the start of football until 8/15 (several states don't start until then anyway) , and still get 7 or 8 games in. You can't push football back any further and play championship games during the holiday season.

Why not? When the playoffs started the championship games were on Thanksgiving day.

Why not? When the playoffs started the championship games were on Thanksgiving day.

More people travel and even take vacations over the holiday break. Not to mention the impact extending the season would have on schools who share more athletes with the winter sports. Think Johnson Central with wrestling/football where those two sports even share a head coach. Plus you’d be playing some games on Bermuda grass fields that would be well into dormancy.

I'm staying positive about this. Things are starting to look better every day. I think we'll get a season. Possibly shortened, but maybe not. If we can get things up and going by mid-May, I don't see why not?

I agree with you, I think it will get a lot better sooner than later.

Too many knee jerk reactions going around right now. Let everything play out and see. The rebound isn’t supposed to happen until December, maybe cut the season to a 7-8 game season and then start playoffs.

We can’t keep cancelling and shutting down schools, businesses, and the like or this virus will be the least of our concerns.

I'm staying positive about this. Things are starting to look better every day. I think we'll get a season. Possibly shortened, but maybe not. If we can get things up and going by mid-May, I don't see why not?

I agree with you, I think it will get a lot better sooner than later.

I 4th the motion.

"We" have a long way (and a lot of time) to go before making any long term decisions.

There shouldn’t be a season this year but it doesn’t matter. There likely will be one. I just hope The Rona is a non-issue by then. If The Rona is still around then football will ensure that we are locked back up into our houses by November if not sooner.

The Rona will destroy football locker rooms. Good luck containing it once it hits the locker rooms.

“We have very potent antibodies that can block the new coronavirus in the same spots that they blocked the old SARS”. ( CEO Jacob Glanville). After testing completed could be available in September at earliest.

This is why I’m optimistic about football in Fall. I believe there will be a treatment. They might push it back month and have a shorter season though.

'''We’ve completed the engineering on the medicine''': Distributed Bio CEO on coronavirus cure [Video]

That was the initial peak. With no surefire treatment and no vaccine there could very well be another flare up once things start opening up. It isn't just going away.

I'm on this side.

* We're getting second spikes in Europe

(even in places had pretty significant lockdown measures).

* We're getting people contracting the virus for a second time

(so we now know this ain't like the chicken pox)

* We don't have a vaccine

(maybe September, but that does us no good April-August)

* We are adding more testing sites

(which means more positive cases)

* We are adding faster tests

(which means more positive cases added to totals earlier)

We are not even to Phase 1 yet. We are still in the "Must Reach These Benchmarks First" stage, and Andy basically said yesterday organized youth activities were NOT part of Phase 1.

We are still on Day Zero of the Downward trend benchmark (and it's going to get hard to get there with testing doubling/tripling on a weekly basis. We basically doubled our positive count in a week).

I don't see how anyone can believe we're "safe" (meaning no/zero issues at all, NOT "taking a chance and if it happens, it happens") to go back to huge groups of organized contact sports any time soon.

Not to mention buses, dugouts (baseball/softball, but soccer has some) and port-a-potties would be allowed.

And like someone else said, football locker rooms aren't exactly noted for being spacious or clean. Especially for the visiting teams.

Edited by Nathaniel Bryan