Tkinslow

Will there be high school football this fall?

23 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said:

Just a little hard to compare 1918 to 2020.

Yeah, 1918 was worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think there is much more risk to everyone in attending school versus playing sports. It is much easier to manage a 60 player football team versus a 600 student indoor school. In addition I think the 60 kids playing football will be more disciplined about following rules.

That may be true. Either way, it only takes 1 of the 60 or 600 to screw everything up. 

3 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think there is much more risk to everyone in attending school versus playing sports. It is much easier to manage a 60 player football team versus a 600 student indoor school. In addition I think the 60 kids playing football will be more disciplined about following rules.

I’m in favor of going back to school and playing sports. My point is, it’s “illogical” that we’ve decided to play contact sports, but not go back to school. I understand everyone’s desire to play football (especially on this forum), but every argument we’ve made for “letting them play” can be made for going back to school.

And let’s face it, aside from the multiple astute immunologists on here that apparently have done extensive research to conclude when and where the virus can and won’t spread, the rest of the world’s top medical professionals are still sorting things out. I suspect that uncertainty is weighing heavily on the school officials who are trying to make the right decisions.

• Like 1

Fleming County now quarantined and Game 1 vs. Rowan County is cancelled.  Students will be onsite on September 8 with resumption of football activities at that time. However, the 9/11 game vs. Rowan is off because Fleming won’t have enough (5) practices in pads prior to the game. 

5 hours ago, NKYRaider said:

I’m in favor of going back to school and playing sports. My point is, it’s “illogical” that we’ve decided to play contact sports, but not go back to school. I understand everyone’s desire to play football (especially on this forum), but every argument we’ve made for “letting them play” can be made for going back to school.

And let’s face it, aside from the multiple astute immunologists on here that apparently have done extensive research to conclude when and where the virus can and won’t spread, the rest of the world’s top medical professionals are still sorting things out. I suspect that uncertainty is weighing heavily on the school officials who are trying to make the right decisions.

The only point these guys are trying to make is are we just going to do nothing because it seems to me this virus ain’t going anywhere this vaccine everyone is talking about even if it does come out in November which I doubt it may take two or three years to get around to everyone and that’s just for the people that take it which my guess is won’t be as many people as a lot of people think. It’s time for America to get back to normal if you have underlying conditions or are elderly take precautions if not live your life before there’s no life to get back to living. I heard on the news this morning that 60% of New York’s restaurants will end up closing for good over this virus and my friend it’s not just happening in New York.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Fleming County now quarantined and Game 1 vs. Rowan County is cancelled.  Students will be onsite on September 8 with resumption of football activities at that time. However, the 9/11 game vs. Rowan is off because Fleming won’t have enough (5) practices in pads prior to the game. 

And this is the way it should work. If you have an outbreak then you just have to cancel a game or 2 and move on after that. There will be positive cases and games canceled but we don't shut down everybody because of an outbreak at 1 or 2 or 5 schools. Everyone works through it the best way they can, handles outbreaks when they happen and we play as much football as we can.

The most we all can hope for in any facet of our lives is the opportunity to succeed or to fail. If we shut this down before games are played we are removing opportunity for all those to succeed in the face of this virus.  Even worse, we have athletes who are proving they can succeed by working out and not having outbreaks and some people are still taking opportunity away from them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

And this is the way it should work. If you have an outbreak then you just have to cancel a game or 2 and move on after that. There will be positive cases and games canceled but we don't shut down everybody because of an outbreak at 1 or 2 or 5 schools. Everyone works through it the best way they can, handles outbreaks when they happen and we play as much football as we can.

The most we all can hope for in any facet of our lives is the opportunity to succeed or to fail. If we shut this down before games are played we are removing opportunity for all those to succeed in the face of this virus.  Even worse, we have athletes who are proving they can succeed by working out and not having outbreaks and some people are still taking opportunity away from them.

Agreed.  Except it appears that the week 1 game was cancelled due to lack of practice rather than CV. 

I am now hearing that the Ashland and Greenup game for next Friday, Sept. 11 has been cancelled.

We might as well accept there’s going to be some games that get cancelled but I would rather play 5 or 6 instead of none I just hope by the time the playoffs get here that this is gone or they have a vaccine or the KHSAA figures out a way to let them make it up I’m not sure how it would work but it would suck to end your season with a strong team in the playoffs because someone tested positive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

We might as well accept there’s going to be some games that get cancelled but I would rather play 5 or 6 instead of none I just hope by the time the playoffs get here that this is gone or they have a vaccine or the KHSAA figures out a way to let them make it up I’m not sure how it would work but it would suck to end your season with a strong team in the playoffs because someone tested positive.

Teams will have to tighten the ship even more as it gets close to playoff time. Everyone has to stay in their bubble. Don't hang out with friends. Stick to team and family. If you can't do that for 5 weeks, then your team wasn't disciplined enough to win a title. 

The biggest risk is someone testing positive the day of or day before a game. If someone tests positive Saturday through Tuesday, there should be enough time for everyone to get tests and results back to see if you can play the game. If these 15 minute tests become more available, it becomes less likely games will have to be cancelled.

Out of 320 Indiana schools I only counted 15 that have yet to play a game. Most of them have already played 2 or 3 games. Seems like a pretty good success in a Covid world.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Teams will have to tighten the ship even more as it gets close to playoff time. Everyone has to stay in their bubble. Don't hang out with friends. Stick to team and family. If you can't do that for 5 weeks, then your team wasn't disciplined enough to win a title. 

The biggest risk is someone testing positive the day of or day before a game. If someone tests positive Saturday through Tuesday, there should be enough time for everyone to get tests and results back to see if you can play the game. If these 15 minute tests become more available, it becomes less likely games will have to be cancelled.

Yeah those 15 minute test would save a lot of games.

This just in the University of Tennessee had to cancel a scrimmage today due to 44 players on their roster who either tested positive for Covid or had direct contact through contact tracing.

1 hour ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

This just in the University of Tennessee had to cancel a scrimmage today due to 44 players on their roster who either tested positive for Covid or had direct contact through contact tracing.

Once you start having real, live hitting, everybody is in contact with everybody. That's the difference between the socially distanced, tight group practices teams have been having. Once blocking and tackling starts, there are no ways to isolate.

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

Once you start having real, live hitting, everybody is in contact with everybody. That's the difference between the socially distanced, tight group practices teams have been having. Once blocking and tackling starts, there are no ways to isolate.

That and the university of Tennessee having 28,000 enrollment as college kids may have something to do with that. 

• Like 2