Tkinslow

Will there be high school football this fall?

Posted (edited)

Moving forward, if virtual learning stretches into 2021 I would say all the coaches and at least half the teachers will be out of a job.

I don’t see a scenario where half the teachers would be out a job. Most teachers are doing more work now than they did before this hit. If you cut half the teachers now you’ll have teachers doing double what they did before. Going from 30 kids a class to 60. 5 class teachers having a total of 300 students. 7 period teachers having 420 students. Don’t know if that’s realistic.

Edited by bugatti
Failure to use punctuation.

We need this UofL solution to be fast tracked and proven effective. I’m not sure how it works but supposedly provides some sort of immunity from contracting Covid.

I don’t see a scenario where half the teachers would be out a job. Most teachers are doing more work now than they did before this hit. If you cut half the teachers now you’ll have teachers doing double what they did before. Going from 30 kids a class to 60. 5 class teachers having a total of 300 students. 7 period teachers having 420 students. Don’t know if that’s realistic.

Two things, first, there will not be much money to pay anyone so cuts will have to be made and two with a preseason (this year) and a full regular season if it happens (2020-2021) by 2022 the process should be greatly streamlined and who knows maybe it will be 75% of teachers by that point.

This morning's Enquirer has an article about the Indiana sectional basketball games played March 6. Five people who attended are now dead from CV19.

Not being dismissive. Just trying to understand why people use annualized Flu numbers across an entire flu season to compare it to what CV-19 has done in 6-8 weeks. Also wonder why people dismiss CV-19 because older folks are more affected. As it relates to football and other sports, the issue is not how deadly it is to the players, but how they could transmit the disease to the people around them, including coaches, officials etc.

We’re a month in, close to 60K deaths in about a two month period and folks still equate it with the flu.

There’s nothing we can do now, rjs. We’re just going to have to grin and bear it and do what we can to keep our loved ones safe. This is where we are now.

Herd immunity will come quicker than relief from scientists or people I will not mention on this board.

Herd immunity will come quicker than relief from scientists or people I will not mention on this board.

Perhaps true, but hopefully not. Getting to herd immunity, if it exists, would be the most painful and deadly method of getting through the crisis.

Perhaps true, but hopefully not. Getting to herd immunity, if it exists, would be the most painful and deadly method of getting through the crisis.

Sweden thinks they may achieve herd immunity in the next few weeks.

I don’t think we will reach the technical definition of Herd Immunity but I do think that a significantly large amount of the population will be exposed to the virus.

Much easier to do given their environment.

Posted (edited)

What about the increasing reports of recovered people getting sick a second time?

Edited by Voice of Reason

I believe Sweden also has one of the highest, if not the highest, death rates in Europe.

It is not the highest, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom all have higher death rates per capita.

Additionally, Sweden "only" has about 2200 deaths as of today.

Finally, and maybe most important, if herd immunity is the long term solution to COVID19 then my guess is Sweden won't have much of a second wave like all the places that are locking everyone down.

It is not the highest, Italy, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands, and the United Kingdom all have higher death rates per capita.

Additionally, Sweden "only" has about 2200 deaths as of today.

Finally, and maybe most important, if herd immunity is the long term solution to COVID19 then my guess is Sweden won't have much of a second wave like all the places that are locking everyone down.

Here is a good article about Sweden's approach.

Coronavirus: Has Sweden got its science right? - BBC News

I stand corrected on the death rate. The article states that the death rate is the highest among the scandinavian countries, not Europe.

The article also states that Sweden's infection rate is around 26%. I don't know if that is enough to provide herd immunity.

In fact, what is the goal of herd immunity? If Sweden is only at 26%, it clearly doesn't mean that Sweden can go back to life as normal anytime soon.

If herd immunity is the goal, why don't we all just get exposed to the virus, let who is going to die die and move forward?

Here is a good article about Sweden's approach.

Coronavirus: Has Sweden got its science right? - BBC News

I stand corrected on the death rate. The article states that the death rate is the highest among the scandinavian countries, not Europe.

The article also states that Sweden's infection rate is around 26%. I don't know if that is enough to provide herd immunity.

In fact, what is the goal of herd immunity? If Sweden is only at 26%, it clearly doesn't mean that Sweden can go back to life as normal anytime soon.

If herd immunity is the goal, why don't we all just get exposed to the virus, let who is going to die die and move forward?

I believe that is exactly what we are doing. Phased exposure if you will.

I believe that is exactly what we are doing. Phased exposure if you will.

True, the phased part being the key discussion point.

What is the infection percent needed for herd immunity?

How fast do you want to achieve herd immunity?

Do you sacrifice people's lives to try and achieve it faster?

What if we open the doors early to try and achieve herd immunity faster and 3 months from now there is an effective treatment?

The bottom line on achieving herd immunity is it means most of us need to suffer through the virus. I don't want to get it. If that spoils the plans for herd immunity, sorry.