At some point Americans will need to quit focusing on the death rate and focus on keeping the systemic process in place for the treatment of not just COVID-19 but for all the diseases that affect us.

The death rate isn’t going to matter if too many sick people overwhelm the healthcare system. The death rate isn’t going to matter if no one can go to work. The death rate isn’t going to matter if the economy is one of the casualties.

I’ll let y’all debate over who qualifies as a COVID-19 casualty and if the death rate predictions are accurate. I’m more concerned about how this is going to affect us all as a country. I don’t see us ever being the same again.

On top of that the anxiety of wondering how COVID-19 is going to affect me personally is draining. I’m not scared of death but I am not ready to die either. I definitely am not ready to watch a loved one die from it either.

Italy is getting hit harder than most.

Apparently they have lost a lot of people with pre existing conditions. I read somewhere that 99% of the people that have died from corona virus there have had pre existing conditions of some kind.

Still scary, but there must be a reason it is so much worse there than it is anywhere else.

Is Italy getting hit harder or is the rest of the world behind the worst of it? The only two countries that are farther along in the crisis is China and Iran, and I wouldn’t trust them to tell the truth on where the sun comes up.

Fortunately, our death totals are behind Italy from when they had their 20k case. Let’s hope it stays that way, but I’m really afraid we will have a rough 2 weeks on our hands with the death count with hospitals running out of materials and this reaching areas that just aren’t medically prepared.

I mentioned this in another thread, but that “preexisting conditions” label is a misnomer. A high percentage of Americans have a “preexisting condition” like hypertension, diabetes, etc. Some reports have even included obesity in that category. “Preexisting conditions” is giving some a false sense of security.

There is. They didn’t begin testing fast enough. They didn’t take social distancing seriously. When they closed schools and businesses people took trips to ski resorts and to the beach instead of staying home. That helped spread it exponentially and forced them into a countrywide lockdown.

Basically they didn’t listen and they thought it was just the flu and that they’d be fine.

That’s what happened in Italy.

Russia is claiming to have began testing at the end of January when COVID-19 first became a worldwide issue. They closed their 2600 mile border to China and began testing as quickly as efficiently as they could. To date they claim to have taken over 150K tests and only have 253 cases. Most of those cases are Italians who came to Russia is what they are claiming. They say they were testing in airports and focusing on travelers from Iran, China and South Korea.

I read about Russia’s success, but strangely they are reporting a large increase in cases of pneumonia.

Russia falls into that category of shoddy information.

I read about Russia’s success, but strangely they are reporting a large increase in cases of pneumonia.

Russia falls into that category of shoddy information.

For the record I don’t believe anything said that comes from Russia. They could be worse than Italy and we’d never know.

At the same time, it doesn’t matter if it is true or not anymore. Russia has now become one of the poster boys on how to respond to a global pandemic.

For the record I don’t believe anything said that comes from Russia. They could be worse than Italy and we’d never know.

At the same time, it doesn’t matter if it is true or not anymore. Russia has now become one of the poster boys on how to respond to a global pandemic.

That’s true. If they tested like they said then there is a great chance the numbers are much lower.

Sadly, your description of Italy in the lead up to this hit close to home.

The cause of my anxiety these days....

The tests haven't even reached some rural parts of western Kentucky. I figure when they do, there will be a spike in cases of the virus. I have told everyone around me to expect that when it happens. As far as the world changing, that will happen, no doubt.

Italy is getting hit harder than most.

Apparently they have lost a lot of people with pre existing conditions. I read somewhere that 99% of the people that have died from corona virus there have had pre existing conditions of some kind.

Still scary, but there must be a reason it is so much worse there than it is anywhere else.

In addition to not heeding the warning of social distancing, part of the high death rate in Italy due to COVID-19 is not enough hospital beds, equipment and staff. Many (not all) who contract the virus will need a ventilator for a period of time to recover, or they will die.

That’s true. If they tested like they said then there is a great chance the numbers are much lower.

The cause of my anxiety these days....

Italy has the oldest population in the world. That is also a big factor in their high death rate.

Let's say you are in your 60s and have a respiratory disease. It is something your doctors are treating and have under control. You contract Covid-19 and die. The existing condition didn't kill you, the virus did.

I would agree with that.

But let’s say you have someone already in declining health with a grim outlook, they contract COVID-19 and they pass. That’s going to be counted as a C19 death when more than likely they were going to pass anyway.

In addition to not heeding the warning of social distancing, part of the high death rate in Italy due to COVID-19 is not enough hospital beds, equipment and staff. Many (not all) who contract the virus will need a ventilator for a period of time to recover, or they will die.

Yep, and here is more bad news; Italy has more beds per thousand residents than the United States.

That’s an average, and we know here that our beds are concentrated in urban hospitals. Not good for us rural folks.

I feel like there will be a lot of deaths not attributed to COVID-19 that should be.

I don’t. I think anyone that gets it and passes, regardless of pre-existing conditions is going to be labeled as a COVID-19 death.

I don’t. I think anyone that gets it and passes, regardless of pre-existing conditions is going to be labeled as a COVID-19 death.

It should be. I think there will be people that die from pneumonia who will never be included in the count.

It should be.

Agree to disagree.

I feel like there will be a lot of deaths not attributed to COVID-19 that should be.

This should not be the case. The cause of death if it solely comes from the virus should be one of two scenarios.

1. ARDS - basically the lungs filling with with water and junk. This is when the respirators are needed.

2. Cytokine storm - overactive immune response. It looks like this is harder to detect and appropriately treat.

In theory, a death from virus should be somewhat obvious.

The co-morbidity thing is tricky.