1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

CDC is expected to reduce quarantine guidelines from 14 days down to 7-10 days.

From when?  Time you took a positive test?  Time you had your first symptoms,  last symptoms?  Or for people who aren't positive,  days from when they were last around someone that tested positive?

20 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

From when?  Time you took a positive test?  Time you had your first symptoms,  last symptoms?  Or for people who aren't positive,  days from when they were last around someone that tested positive?

I was thinking the same thing, it just adds more confusion and ultimately inconsistency. 

I'm sure it will be explained better eventually.  But yea the time frames are certainly interesting. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/11/25/938744923/cdc-likely-to-recommend-shortening-coronavirus-quarantine-period

Jennifer Nuzzo, a senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security, said she would welcome such a revision.

"I was really glad to hear CDC is considering this," she told NPR in an email. "Shortening quarantine recommendations to focus on the period of time during which the vast majority of people who are exposed to the virus are likely to become contagious is a smart, pragmatic move that is likely to boost compliance."

"Right now, contact tracing efforts in the U.S. are severely hindered by deep disincentives for contacts of cases to quarantine," Nuzzo said. "A seven or ten day quarantine recommendation may be easier for people to bear and hopefully may help get more contacts of cases to comply."

The above is really interesting to me.  So the reduced quarantine time appears to be not based on any type of science or whether or not people remain contagious, but rather that they would be more likely to comply.   It's like their just making stuff up as they go along.  

3 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/11/25/938744923/cdc-likely-to-recommend-shortening-coronavirus-quarantine-period

The above is really interesting to me.  So the reduced quarantine time appears to be not based on any type of science or whether or not people remain contagious, but rather that they would be more likely to comply.   It's like their just making stuff up as they go along.  

You can say that again.

Not surprisingly I guess I paid more attention to the first part of the quote  that spoke to the science of this decision.

3 hours ago, theguru said:

Right, essentially this type of behavior teaches the employees to lie and that isn't good for anyone. 

I have long maintained that the old philosophy of rewarding perfect attendance is fundamentally flawed.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Just sad, because in a profession that trust is so important.  It makes telling the truth that much harder.  I couldn't imagine how hard that would be for families living pay check to pay check. 

I hear ya. Once my "benefit" (sick, vacation, personal) days have been used up while on covid-19 quarantine the expectation is unpaid leave. 

Screw that!!

8 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Yes plenty of time to recoop, as no one in the office wants it.  I was only supposed to work a day and a half this week anyways, so that helps. 

I feel bad for my girl friend though.  Since she lives with me, my positive test result means she has to quarantine until December 10th.  This is her 3rd time having to do this in the past month and a half.  Each time her hospital employer does this, she has to use up her own sick/vacation time.  Just doesn't seem right to me.  

It’s not right.

I’m fortunate enough to have a union job with plenty of support.

We told our employers that we had been coming into work with various illnesses for years and this virus was no different. Either they payed us to stay home or we come to work. We’d try our best to keep our distance from other employees, but we’d come to work as normal.

They decided they would pay us to quarantine for 2 weeks if anyone in our home tested positive...

Yea.  I have plenty of sick time as does my significant other.  But we also don't have kids to worry about, other than our dog child.  I couldn't imagine the stress of balancing that all with kids right now.  Pulling for everyone out there that is.  

2 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

It’s not right.

I’m fortunate enough to have a union job with plenty of support.

We told our employers that we had been coming into work with various illnesses for years and this virus was no different. Either they payed us to stay home or we come to work. We’d try our best to keep our distance from other employees, but we’d come to work as normal.

They decided they would pay us to quarantine for 2 weeks if anyone in our home tested positive...

And that's exactly how it should be.  I could perhaps even accept a compromise.  One that the hospital gives half the hours and the employee uses half the hours, but to just put it all on the employee, it's borderline an unfair punishment. 

I feel really bad.  I usually have 20 plus at my home for Thanksgiving.  We are down to ten now.  Still, too many risk factors for my 91 year old dad to come.  It is probably his last Thanksgiving.  He sits alone not wanting to take the risk.  I am afraid I will kill him if he comes over.  Yet, he is so depressed being alone.  Drives me nuts with guilt no matter what!

19 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

CDC is expected to reduce quarantine guidelines from 14 days down to 7-10 days.

Currently I am in quarantine from the local health department as my daughter tested positive for Covid.  I was told that I am to be in quarantine for 14 days since my last visit with my daughter.... but if I show no symptoms,  I would be released in 10 days.  

• Thanks 1

I feel so bad for restaurants and bars that have been forced to close. The restaurants I have been to did a great job adjusting to COVID rules.  It seems so random to pick those businesses over others for closure.