From WLWT.com:

Three additional shootings were reported Sunday night in Cincinnati, bringing the day's total to 21 people shot and 4 dead in a violent 24-hour period across the city.

Three additional shootings were reported Sunday night: one in Walnut Hills, one in East Price Hill and a third in Pendleton.

=====================

Hopefully this is just an anomaly in Cincinnati but I am definitely steering clear of Cincy.  

Why are we talking about gun violence?

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Why are we talking about gun violence?

I asking out loud if there are any connections between The Rona and violent crime skyrocketing in many places. My gut feeling says there is but who knows.

Maybe if we opened everything up, let everyone earn a living again, and cracked down on violent criminals there would be a lot less crime period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theguru said:

I asking out loud if there are any connections between The Rona and violent crime skyrocketing in many places. My gut feeling says there is but who knows.

Maybe if we opened everything up, let everyone earn a living again, and cracked down on violent criminals there would be a lot less crime period.

may be a back log of beef.  Some people never forget.  

Interesting the things HCQ is being used for or being researched - Even here at University of Kentucky. 

"Hydroxychloroquine for the Treatment of Recurrent, Oligometastatic Prostate Cancer"

Link:

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/clinical-trials/search/v?id=NCI-2019-08359&r=1

Lead Organization - University of Kentucky / Markey Cancer Center

Principal Investigator - Andrew Callaway James

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hellcats said:

may be a back log of beef.  Some people never forget.  

If someone has old beef it is the perfect time to serve up some "chilled revenge" while the authorities are on the run. 

5 hours ago, theguru said:

Not sure of the correlation. To this point in time, Tampa/Hillsborough County has had over 34,000 covid cases. Cincinnati/Hamilton County has a little over 10,000. That is over 3 times as many cases.

For the correlation to hold true, Tampa/Hillsborough would have to have 3 times as many murders. That's not the case. Tampa/Hillsborough has had about 40 homicides this year. While that is an uptick over the last 10 year average, it's nothing like what is going on up there. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swamprat said:

Not sure of the correlation. To this point in time, Tampa/Hillsborough County has had over 34,000 covid cases. Cincinnati/Hamilton County has a little over 10,000. That is over 3 times as many cases.

For the correlation to hold true, Tampa/Hillsborough would have to have 3 times as many murders. That's not the case. Tampa/Hillsborough has had about 40 homicides this year. While that is an uptick over the last 10 year average, it's nothing like what is going on up there. 

True, but numbers in Cincinnati are always high, it's par for the course sadly.  Drugs and ego's are usually what seems to fuel it, according to the news reports.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

True, but numbers in Cincinnati are always high, it's par for the course sadly.  Drugs and ego's are usually what seems to fuel it, according to the news reports.

Right. Same in Louisville. Numbers will be up in 2020 from 2019, but they were also up in 2019 from 2018. 

There were 117 murders in Louisville in 2016, with no pandemic. There is no correlation.

13 hours ago, swamprat said:

I am looking for correlations within a system vs. comparing two systems but like I mentioned to begin with who knows. 

Once we have the uniform crime reports for 2020 we should be able to draw some conclusions. 

What's Driving Excess Deaths for 25 to 44 Year Olds?

https://covidplanningtools.com/whats-driving-excess-deaths-for-25-to-44-year-olds/

"It appears that the excess death count during the COVID-19 outbreak in the 25-44 age bracket cannot be wholly attributed to the virus.  Less than half can be accounted for by current COVID-19 numbers from the CDC (which may be lagging).  It is unlikely that deaths in this age bracket are related to other common COVID-19 comorbidity conditions.  It is likely that these are deaths related to suicide, despair, alcohol and drug abuse, and violence; collateral effects of various public policy mitigation measures.  One can reasonably conclude that the lock-downs and stay at home orders may have had significant negative effects.  This is a cursory analysis and will be refined as data becomes more complete."

Let's end the shutdowns. Let's get back to school. Let's get back to normal lives. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

What's Driving Excess Deaths for 25 to 44 Year Olds?

https://covidplanningtools.com/whats-driving-excess-deaths-for-25-to-44-year-olds/

"It appears that the excess death count during the COVID-19 outbreak in the 25-44 age bracket cannot be wholly attributed to the virus.  Less than half can be accounted for by current COVID-19 numbers from the CDC (which may be lagging).  It is unlikely that deaths in this age bracket are related to other common COVID-19 comorbidity conditions.  It is likely that these are deaths related to suicide, despair, alcohol and drug abuse, and violence; collateral effects of various public policy mitigation measures.  One can reasonably conclude that the lock-downs and stay at home orders may have had significant negative effects.  This is a cursory analysis and will be refined as data becomes more complete."

Let's end the shutdowns. Let's get back to school. Let's get back to normal lives. 

I have heard numbers as high as 600% increase in suicide attempts. 

The question of "are the policies to fight disease worse than the disease itself?" is no longer even in question.  The question at this point is - what is the order of magnitude that it is worse. 

A quick scan of the states CDC numbers shows there is still "excess mortality" or mortality rates that are notably higher than previous years in many states that is not attributable to the direct virus deaths. 

4 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

I have heard numbers as high as 600% increase in suicide attempts. 

The question of "are the policies to fight disease worse than the disease itself?" is no longer even in question.  The question at this point is - what is the order of magnitude that it is worse. 

A quick scan of the states CDC numbers shows there is still "excess mortality" or mortality rates that are notably higher than previous years in many states that is not attributable to the direct virus deaths. 

I wish we had a better accounting of deaths of despair.

I believe if we stay on our present course of mitigation deaths of despair will progressively get worse during the cold, cloudy, gloomy weather over the winter. 

A friend of mine from high school left this Earth a couple of days ago and I have another friend hurting bad.  It is hard to pin down causation but I am pretty sure it is depression/mental illness in full bloom at least in part due to COVID. 

• Like 1

As a businessman, I am constantly on Zoom calls nationwide with various people (especially, since the pandemic started).  Early on, the mood was light on the calls since Zoom seemed cool and new.  Lately, people are bored on the calls.  I can see it in their eyes, their expressions and how their words sound.  People were created to engage with one another face to face.  Zoom may be trendy for awhile, but I will be upset if this "new normal" totally replaces genuine interaction among people.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nkypete said:

As a businessman, I am constantly on Zoom calls nationwide with various people (especially, since the pandemic started).  Early on, the mood was light on the calls since Zoom seemed cool and new.  Lately, people are bored on the calls.  I can see it in their eyes, their expressions and how their words sound.  People were created to engage with one another face to face.  Zoom may be trendy for awhile, but I will be upset if this "new normal" totally replaces genuine interaction among people.

I have been working out of home office for 20 years - when not traveling to clients nationwide. 

When a new team forms there is lots of video being shared.  Then less, then no one turns on their video and we just share powerpoints, spreadsheets or web app screens. 

It is good for 1 hour meetings.  It is not good to build and develop client relationships for sure. 

• Like 2