JD, I think the reason we will HAVE to wear masks when we didn’t previously, is that there will be more people out. I had to stand in line to get into Home Depot and once I got in, it was easy to social distance. Yes, I agree that grocery stores have been as crowded as ever, but just because we didn’t have to have masks, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have been made to. Personally, I think we should have, and I admit that I have been a non wearer. People have to feel safe and comfortable going out, and everyone wearing masks will probably help foster that.

We are all flying in the dark here as this is new to all of us. If I have to wear a mask to go out to help get businesses reopened, then I will. It is not asking much and not a big deal. The price of a mask is nothing compared to getting the virus, or being unemployed.

I do agree that it is odd to say people can go back to work, but with no daycare. Grandparents, who are at the highest risk will likely have to step up.

@PurplePride92

Not sure which of these threads that I asked the question in, but we are getting the answer in Iowa. Employees that do not show up to CV infested meat packing plants will lose their unemployment benefits and will have "quit their position."

@PurplePride92

Not sure which of these threads that I asked the question in, but we are getting the answer in Iowa. Employees that do not show up to CV infested meat packing plants will lose their unemployment benefits and will have "quit their position."

Craziness ain’t it?

Corporations can require that I wear a mask to gain access to their store. I'm fine with that. Other than that, I cannot be forced to wear a mask in public.

Corporations can require that I wear a mask to gain access to their store. I'm fine with that. Other than that, I cannot be forced to wear a mask in public.

Probably true, but what is the big deal? We are being asked to work together to reopen our communities. If this policy is recommended by doctors, why wouldn’t you?

Craziness ain’t it?

Something tells me it won't be that easy for the powers that be.

Probably true, but what is the big deal? We are being asked to work together to reopen our communities. If this policy is recommended by doctors, why wouldn’t you?

Because I don't want to. I've gone this long without filtering my breath, why start now. And that's where the debate ends.

You're speculating. I can do rule number one and rule number two without speaking to anyone or touching anything the general public touches all day long at work, yet I'm told I have to buy and wear a mask. Again, no thanks.

Not to mention the fact you forgot to reason on why I don't need the mask tomorrow or yesterday, but I do need it on May 11th. But going to lowes to buy flowers on May 10th without a mask is perfectly okay. The rules are not well thought out.

It really all comes down to just using common sense. Beechwoodfan made some good points above. We can go back-and-forth about why the rules were one way then and are different now. We are all just rolling with the punches here. Facts and circumstances change on an almost daily basis. The rules aren't going to look consistent all the way through this crisis. We probably should have required masks earlier when going to the grocery and other stores, but then there weren't enough masks. People have to get groceries so do you tell them not to go to the grocery for a month because we don't have enough masks? We all have to manage this on the fly the best that we can and roll with the punches.

As to wearing a mask now, it just seems like common sense logic to reduce the risk, especially now when we know there are a lot of infected people still out there and probably many that don't even know they have it. A month or two from now when new cases statewide are hopefully down to five new cases a day, the masks might not be necessary. That doesn't mean they aren't necessary now if people want to get back open right now.

To be honest this whole thing has turned into idiocracy. Its like people are throwing darts at a wall of pictures and ideas daily and determining thats the next step.

Let's open the state back up but you need masks on that particular date, the day before you're fine, no mask needed. But let's open it up to get people back to work and see what happens, those that need childcare options to be able to go back to work are essentially screwed though, because childcare isn't a necessity, just quit your job. Yet likely half of the work force in this state has kids.

I can't say its humorous because its not. It is a bit alarming and silly though. For what its worth the childcare issue won't effect me personally, but it will for people I know as they are allowed to go back to work, yet won't have anyone to watch their kids.

Then the mask thing. Why do we not need them now, but are being forced to wear them in a couple of weeks? None of it makes much sense to me.

You summed up exactly how I feel about the masks.

I think our company will have us work from home longer than other companies because of the childcare situation and we can easily work from home. It doesn't affect me either.

I'll wear a mask I guess, except for when I'm walking my dog. But if I go to get groceries, I'll wear it. But I've kinda wanted why they haven't pushed hard on the masks all along.

Because I don't want to. I've gone this long without filtering my breath, why start now. And that's where the debate ends.

There is a creation myth regarding the United States that the country was built by rugged individuals acting on their own. The reality is that while individual action has been important, the real reason for the success of the US is that our founders bequeathed to us the enlightenment. The enlightenment taught us the importance of individual rights, but also the need to be governed by facts, science and reason. We used facts, science and reason to see the wisdom of collective action. Our country has prospered through that collective action. We built roads together. We built bridges together. Perhaps most importantly we built universal education together. Because "I don't want to" may be the most disheartening reason I can think of. We all do things we don't want to every day for no better reason than it benefits ourselves, our families and our communities. I may want to drive 100 mph down the interstate, but I don't because we have collectively decided that it is best for the community if I don't. Not only have we decided collectively that it is best that I not drive 100 mph, we have decided to use our collective police powers to enforce that decision. I feel the same way about measures to protect the public health. Once we decide the best course of action for our communities, then use our police powers to enforce it.

There is a creation myth regarding the United States that the country was built by rugged individuals acting on their own. The reality is that while individual action has been important, the real reason for the success of the US is that our founders bequeathed to us the enlightenment. The enlightenment taught us the importance of individual rights, but also the need to be governed by facts, science and reason. We used facts, science and reason to see the wisdom of collective action. Our country has prospered through that collective action. We built roads together. We built bridges together. Perhaps most importantly we built universal education together. Because "I don't want to" may be the most disheartening reason I can think of. We all do things we don't want to every day for no better reason than it benefits ourselves, our families and our communities. I may want to drive 100 mph down the interstate, but I don't because we have collectively decided that it is best for the community if I don't. Not only have we decided collectively that it is best that I not drive 100 mph, we have decided to use our collective police powers to enforce that decision. I feel the same way about measures to protect the public health. Once we decide the best course of action for our communities, then use our police powers to enforce it.

I don't care if you deem my stance on this as insensitive.

I've already stated that it is fine that corporations require of me to wear a mask while in their stores and places of business. However, when I'm in public I will not wear one because it is my choice not to. And in public, it'd be just as much as your choice to be in my presence or to choose to keep your distance from someone who isn't wearing a mask.

35 years we had the "wear your seat belt" controversy. This mask discussion sounds exactly like that.

35 years we had the "wear your seat belt" controversy. This mask discussion sounds exactly like that.

"You can't make me wear a seat belt"

I remember a lot of people saying that.

"You can't make me wear a seat belt"

I remember a lot of people saying that.

Do I obtain my right to breath from a regulating body similar to how I obtain my right to drive through a regulating body?

Different animal, if I decline to wear a seat belt, I'm only endangering my life. Choosing not to wear a mask, I'm endangering my life as well as other peoples well being.