PP1

9th Region Tournament Preview

Regional Tournament Preview

Hard to believe that the season is coming to a close. I hope to see some of you at NKU on Saturday. I wonder if the weeklong furlough will adversely impact the performance of some of these young men that have worked so hard to get to the regional tournament.

Game 1: St. Henry vs. Cooper.

Time: 12:00.

Preview: I would assume that both Mr. Sullivan and Mr. Faust would have preferred to not play at 12:00 in the afternoon. Both squads must remain focused all week in order to perform at a time that, perhaps, they only have had only one opportunity to experience. Cooper is playing the best basketball that they have played all season and I predict a game that will be decided by 9 points or less.

Game 2: Covington Catholic vs. Newport

Time: 1:30

Preview: The Wildcats probably feel that almost all of NKY did not anticipate seeing them this week in Highland Heights. Newport’s fear of having to face the Colonels has come to fruition, but there are about eight other teams in the 9th Region that covet their position. I expect a tough-nosed game in the first quarter with Cov Cath methodically pulling away the final three quarters for a +20 victory.

Game 3: Conner vs. Beechwood

Time: 6:30

Preview: Both teams are playing good basketball right now, but it has been a long time since Conner lost. The Cougars did beat Beechwood in the regular season and the Tigers will be looking to avenge that loss. This has the potential to be a high scoring affair that will probably come down to the wire. I expect a close game that stays within 9 points or less from horn to horn.

Game 4: Highlands vs. Dixie Heights

Time: 8:00

Preview: On paper, it looks like a game that points all the way to the Bluebirds. On February 5th, Highlands did get the victory over the Red Colonels, but Dixie was able to put up 72 points. Highlands does come in favored and I believe only one Courageous Warrior, that will remain nameless, stuck his/her neck out there to predict a regional birth for Dixie Heights; however, the 34th District Championship was a close game and Coach Stainforth will work very hard to prep his boys for this one. I do see Highlands avoiding the upset and advancing to the semi-finals.

Players to Watch:

For the Crusaders

• Wyatt Beith
  • Jude Bessler
  • Cody Teeten

For the Jaguars

• Gavin Rabe
  • Kevin Centers
  • Jacob Deere

For the Colonels

• Grant Disken
  • Neil Green
  • Donovan Stocks

For the Wildcats

• DaeShawn White
  • KeAndre Nelson
  • Kaleal Davis

For the Tigers

• Scotty Draud
  • Will Downton
  • Mitchell Riley

For the Cougars

• Jalen Scott
  • Riley Osterbur
  • Jared Hicks

For the Dixie Height Colonels

• Ian Snelling
  • Jay Flynn
  • Jason Summe

For the Bluebirds

• Sam Vinson
  • Luke Muller
  • Oliver Harris
  • Like 1

Just curious PP1 who are you predicting to win the ST. Henry/ Cooper game and the Conner/Beechwood game??

• Like 1

Nice review. I'll predict:

St. Henry

CCH

Conner

Highlands

Very chalky, I know. But, the lower ranked teams like Cooper, Newport, and Dixie just haven't been consistently great at winning games this season, and I believe the teams they are playing are just plain better, and have better players.

With that said, Conner vs. Beechwood is the most intriguing, and if their were an upset, that is the one that I'd pick.

I'll also say, I like the "star" talent this year. Vieth, Bessler, Stocks, Disken, Green, Scott, Centers, Vinson, Muller... All names we've been hearing for a while.

I hope these make for exciting games.

• Like 1

My adds for players to watch:

St Henry:

Shea brothers, senior/leader Connor Shea and “Mr. Hustle” Corey Shea.

Cooper:

Zach Jennings/smart decision maker/unselfish court Sargent/“you just want this kid on your team.”

• Like 1

My predictions in the first round.

Cooper (might be going with my heart but I do feel it could be a little different game than in December with Jennings and Centers back neither played in the first meeting. )

CCH by a bunch

Conner by 6-8

Highlands by 12-15

• Like 1

Nice review. I'll predict:

St. Henry

CCH

Conner

Highlands

Very chalky, I know. But, the lower ranked teams like Cooper, Newport, and Dixie just haven't been consistently great at winning games this season, and I believe the teams they are playing are just plain better, and have better players.

With that said, Conner vs. Beechwood is the most intriguing, and if their were an upset, that is the one that I'd pick.

I'll also say, I like the "star" talent this year. Vieth, Bessler, Stocks, Disken, Green, Scott, Centers, Vinson, Muller... All names we've been hearing for a while.

I hope these make for exciting games.

I should have added Draud to this list also.

Another crop of players to pay attention to are:

Riley & Downton (Beechwood), Shea (St. H), Osterbur & Couzins (Conner), White & Nelson(Newport), Rabe (Cooper), McHale & Starks (CCH), Ahfeld (Highlands), Snelling & Geraci (Dixie).

• Like 1

My predictions in the first round.

Cooper (might be going with my heart but I do feel it could be a little different game than in December with Jennings and Centers back neither played in the first meeting. )

CCH by a bunch

Conner by 6-8

Highlands by 12-15

Centers playing at a high level right now. Could be right, and could be a good game, but I see St. H with the horses to pull through in the end.

• Like 1

Centers playing at a high level right now. Could be right, and could be a good game, but I see St. H with the horses to pull through in the end.

St. Henry has a great team. I’m just hoping somehow Cooper can get it going and pull off the upset.

• Like 1

Head-to-Head records among 9th Region Tournament particpants:

1. Cov Cath (8-0)

2. St. Henry (7-2)

3. Conner (7-2)

4. Highlands (5-3)

5. Beechwood (4-5)

6. Newport (1-7)

7. Dixie (1-7)

8. Cooper (1-8)

St. Henry is in 2nd over Conner because of their win at Conner, and Newport is in 6th over Dixie because of their win at Dixie.

• Like 1

1. Cov Cath (8-0)

2. St. Henry (7-2)

3. Conner (7-2)

4. Highlands (5-3)

5. Beechwood (4-5)

6. Newport (1-7)

7. Dixie (1-7)

8. Cooper (1-8)

St. Henry is in 2nd over Conner because of their win at Conner, and Newport is in 6th over Dixie because of their win at Dixie.

Be a good time for Cooper to sneak up on someone.

• Like 1

1. Cov Cath (8-0)

2. St. Henry (7-2)

3. Conner (7-2)

4. Highlands (5-3)

5. Beechwood (4-5)

6. Newport (1-7)

7. Dixie (1-7)

8. Cooper (1-8)

Good info. Thanks.

• Like 1

Nice preview and nice predictions and good points by everyone (especially the reminder of the head to head records in the 9th. However, any of these teams can win...and I do think the game times and the week off will affect some teams more than others. My predictions are:

St. Henry over Cooper by 10. Hat's off to Sully....he has Cooper playing their best basketball of the year, but the Crusaders are just too deep. Wyatt Vieth and Jude Bessler will shine.

Cov Cath over Newport by 25. The Colonels are too disciplined and experienced to let down in this one. Disken and Green will come to play.

Beechwood over Conner by 6. The Tigers will be seeking revenge over this earlier season loss. Riley, Downton and Draud with big games to win this one.

Highlands over Dixie by 12. Vinson and team again are too deep and have played too well this year to take a game off.

Overall a very close 9th region this year...with only Cov Cath the clear favorite. Should be a great tournament. Good luck to all the teams.

• Like 1