Colonels_Wear_Blue

Good coaches scout talent...

Is there anything wrong with a high school coach scouting middle schoolers?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Is there anything wrong with a high school coach scouting middle schoolers?

• No
    • Yes
    • Depends on the situation. (Please explain in thread.)

There is a major difference between "allow" or talk to parents who approach certain schools or coaches AND actively seek out /(I'm about to say the "R" word).....Recruit middle school players.

I completely agree with rules that are in place or need to be in place. I realize there are situations that may run along a lot of grey area. I guess my biggest point in all these posts is that the parents need to do the legwork and find the best school and program fit for their kid. As posted before a lot of different families have different order of priorities, as they should. I just don't think that families should be handcuffed by address not allowing them to be in the right place. Nor do I believe that coaches should feel they can't go to Middle School games or speak with parents when approached by them. I understand and agree with the coaches should not be initiating conversations in the middle of a Middle School league game or Tournament.

I feel like a lot of the issues people have end up being selfish reasons. Maybe a really good player decided to go to a different school, and they were expected to be able to coach them. Or other players/parents were counting on a kid, but he/she ended up going to a better situation for them, and the people the kid left behind feel betrayed, and causes hard feelings. I understand all of it, but wish people could look at both sides.

What if parents of a middle school player contact a coach and want to talk about that coaches porgram/school? Parent states they are interested in moving into that school district and would like some information regarding said program.

What should the coach do in this situation?

What if parents of a middle school player contact a coach and want to talk about that coaches porgram/school? Parent states they are interested in moving into that school district and would like some information regarding said program.

What should the coach do in this situation?

As long as the parent initiates the contact, goes through the proper channels (most likely school administration first), I don’t see a problem with this. In this case, a coach has every right to talk to this student and family.

The major difference is high school coaches from one school traveling around actively searching out middle school players, and even crossing district or state lines. Big difference in my book with what you describe and what happens at some schools.

IMO, massive difference. I have no problem with high school coaches, within a district going to middle school games of their feeder schools. These kids are within their program and should be made to feel a part of the program.

Another high school coach, or staff member, should not actively engage in the “scouting” of other middle school athletes. These are 14 year old impressionable kids who will believe most anything they are told. Your program should speak for itself.

We all know this goes on, and which programs do it. It is a problem and apples to oranges to college coaches recruiting high school players.

I agree with this statement. Any other situation is recruiting and it is wrong.

I agree with this statement. Any other situation is recruiting and it is wrong.

Ok, but why is it wrong? Also, is it wrong for a coach to have conversations about their program with parents that are not in their district if the parents are the ones that established communication first? Just would like your perspective.

Ok, but why is it wrong? Also, is it wrong for a coach to have conversations about their program with parents that are not in their district if the parents are the ones that established communication first? Just would like your perspective.

Yes it is wrong. All contact should be with administrators until said kid becomes a member of the school district. We are talking about high school sports here correct?

This whole shopping yourself around is what creates all of the issues within the KHSAA. Fact is, a small percentage will actually play a college sport and an even smaller percentage will play a pro sport. If you are good enough to play either or both, they will find you whether you go to a powerhouse big school or a small school .

Yes it is wrong. All contact should be with administrators until said kid becomes a member of the school district. We are talking about high school sports here correct?

This whole shopping yourself around is what creates all of the issues within the KHSAA. Fact is, a small percentage will actually play a college sport and an even smaller percentage will play a pro sport. If you are good enough to play either or both, they will find you whether you go to a powerhouse big school or a small school .

And this is my answer to why it is wrong.(see above). I am old school and believe you play in the school district you live in or the nearby catholic school. Let the kids play with their friends they have grown up with. If a player is good enough, colleges will find them.

Could not agree more! In fact the amount of kids that go away to play a college sport that actually last 4 years is a small percentage. At least in the area of the state I am familiar with - Northern Kentucky. Kids get a chance to play but become disillusioned with the numbers, lack of playing time, etc and end up back home at a pretty high rate.