Sign in to follow this  
Randy Parker

Oldham County 55 Collins 44

Game of three distinct parts....

- Oldham raced out to a 12-0 lead in the opening moments of the game....Collins couldn't hang on to the ball and Oldham couldn't miss.

- Collins started rallying in the latter half of the first quarter and dominated most of the second period. As great as Oldham shot in the first, they didn't hit a field goal in the second until Grant Gibson hit a layup with a little over a minute left in the half.

- Second half all Oldham County, though it took a while for the Colonels to assert control. Things spiraled out of control for Collins when Dayvion McKnight fouled out with a little less than 6 minutes to play and it was essentially over when Marcellus Vail fouled out with about 2 to play.

Key play in the first half....with Collins up by seven at 27-20, Dawson Eden (I think it was Eden, if memory serves) missed an uncontested layup. Oldham rebounded, and Grant Gibson got a runout layup at the other end. Suddenly, instead of 29-20, it was 27-22 - a whole different feel. Then, when Gibson banked in a buzzer-beating three pointer from the midcourt stripe - on the sideline, no less - it was 27-22 at the half, and all the momentum that Collins had owned in the second period was now back on Oldham's side.

The Colonels outscored Collins, 30-17, in the second half, and gave up just 7 points in the fourth.

Deaton Oak led Oldham County with 16; Tyler Slone - who had just 2 points at halftime - erupted in the second half for OC and finished with 15 points.

Key for Oldham was second half free throw shooting; the Colonels finished 15 of 20 at the line for 75%.

Oldham (unofficially) won the rebounding battle, 27-19.

Dayvion McKnight had 15 for Collins; Marcellus Vail scored 14. However, Tyson Turner, the hero of the day in the big win over McCracken County, was held to just 2 points.

The Titans also struggled at the line, particularly in the second half when they missed the front end of some 1 and 1s. Collins finished just 5 of 10 at the stripe for 50%, very uncharacteristic for them.

I know this probably wasn't the case, but in the second half I really have to wonder if Collins really wanted to win this game. Instead of trying to buy some time for McKnight and Vail who were in foul trouble, the staff left them on the floor.

Does anyone know why Collins forward Caleb Hawley wasn’t there tonight, heard parents say he quit the team this week.

Does anyone know why Collins forward Caleb Hawley wasn’t there tonight, heard parents say he quit the team this week.

That's the rumor. Unconfirmed, but it sounds to be fairly credible.

I know this probably wasn't the case, but in the second half I really have to wonder if Collins really wanted to win this game. Instead of trying to buy some time for McKnight and Vail who were in foul trouble, the staff left them on the floor.

Jason Holland made a valid point during our broadcast tonight. If you're one of these two teams and you're down in the second half by 4 points to the other team - whether you're Oldham or Collins - you have to keep in mind the need for offense. Take McKnight off the floor and watch Oldham make two quick threes, and you could be down 10 in twenty seconds... Gaither may well have been weighing this possibility.

The supporting cast for Collins simply wasn't making much in the way of contributions offensively; Gaither may have felt that he couldn't take McKnight's offense off the floor.

Jason Holland made a valid point during our broadcast tonight. If you're one of these two teams and you're down in the second half by 4 points to the other team - whether you're Oldham or Collins - you have to keep in mind the need for offense. Take McKnight off the floor and watch Oldham make two quick threes, and you could be down 10 in twenty seconds... Gaither may well have been weighing this possibility.

The supporting cast for Collins simply wasn't making much in the way of contributions offensively; Gaither may have felt that he couldn't take McKnight's offense off the floor.

Yeah, I know it was a catch 22.

That's the rumor. Unconfirmed, but it sounds to be fairly credible.

Would you say Hawley’s absence had any impact on the game tonight? I know he hasn’t been scoring a lot, but he’s one of the biggest bodies for Collins and could have helped a bit against Oldham’s size. At a minimum he could have taken a foul or two from McKnight and Vail and kept them in the game longer.

Would you say Hawley’s absence had any impact on the game tonight? I know he hasn’t been scoring a lot, but he’s one of the biggest bodies for Collins and could have helped a bit against Oldham’s size. At a minimum he could have taken a foul or two from McKnight and Vail and kept them in the game longer.

I'm surprised Hawley stayed at Collins as long as he did. That kid has some real talent and like you said is 6ft5. I know about the situation a little and he deserved better than the way he was treated by Gaither.

Not surprised at all with the Hawley situation, couldn’t make it at CAL, now there’s issues at Collins. You can’t force a kid to practice and play hard!!

OC has a 15 game winning streak. They havent lost since last decade.

The final minute of the first half- the dunk and the contested half court buzzer beater- gave me flashbacks of when I saw these two play at Henry County last year and I was hoping for a similar ending. Foul trouble had different ideas, but I’m hoping this was just a sneak preview of what we can expect in New Castle this year.

The final minute of the first half- the dunk and the contested half court buzzer beater- gave me flashbacks of when I saw these two play at Henry County last year and I was hoping for a similar ending. Foul trouble had different ideas, but I’m hoping this was just a sneak preview of what we can expect in New Castle this year.

I guessing you won't be disappointed.

I'm surprised Hawley stayed at Collins as long as he did. That kid has some real talent and like you said is 6ft5. I know about the situation a little and he deserved better than the way he was treated by Gaither.

So, is he done with basketball or where will he resurface next year?

So, is he done with basketball or where will he resurface next year?

I would guess he's not done. He plays on the Louisville Prospects AAU team and I know he is still playing with them this spring.