theguru

I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

But isn’t that the problem with the program? #makethechange ?

It starts at the top correct? Assistants are an extension of the head coach. Assistants imo should defer to the leader on all personnel and or decisions that impact the TEAM not the other way around.

Kids don’t go on vacation during summer practice and then two get removed for missing practice during a bye week. Players do not wear uniform after game to go out to eat. Players do not miss practice all week and then start and play in the game on Friday. Assistant coaches do not make accusations week of playoff game, better yet not at all.

I look forward to hearing that you've submitted your application when that time comes. :thumb:

Well if he goes 5-5 he will still have your support I’d imagine.

Well if he goes 5-5 he will still have your support I’d imagine.

I just read this and spit my spaghetti across the table.

Absolutely spot on and classic, thanks.

Well they got a coach from Ga. from the winningest program in the nation so not really that far fetched. When a program has the second most wins in the nation coaches know of it.

Ft. Thomas isn't Texas nor Georgia HS football. Those guys just coach and many earn 100k+. Doesn't happen in Kentucky. Most people TEACH and receive a supplement to coach.

It starts at the top correct? Assistants are an extension of the head coach. Assistants imo should defer to the leader on all personnel and or decisions that impact the TEAM not the other way around.

Kids don’t go on vacation during summer practice and then two get removed for missing practice during a bye week. Players do not wear uniform after game to go out to eat. Players do not miss practice all week and then start and play in the game on Friday. Assistant coaches do not make accusations week of playoff game, better yet not at all.

So needless to say, Highlands is lacking consistent discipline.

Discipline takes care a lot of the other issues going on and actually can be the difference between a win vs a loss.

Didn’t say they were lining up.

And you are right, the program is at the point of being laughable.

Very similar to where CovCath was not too long ago.

Be careful not to poke the bear too much.

People that know football aren't laughing as much as you are. They'll be better especially as other programs lose some talent. No matter who the coach happens to be winning 5A will be difficult at least until the next re-classification.

[/b]

This could be said for almost everyone that has watched Highlands over the years. Highlands was the leader of the pack back then. Goes all the way back to Homer Rice when Highlands started winning recognized state championships. Rice's teaching, training and implementing of the game of football was heads above everyone else. That continued with every head coach at Highlands throughout the years until a coach didn't keep the program ahead of the pack and others caught up. Changes were made. Dale took it to a whole new level as his results speak for themselves. He used to yearly have other coaches from both high school and college programs come to Highlands to see what all the fuss was and how and why was he so successful. These coaches used to laugh at the weight facilities at Highlands. They were, lets say less than par. Dale kept Highlands ahead of the pack by his knowledge, teaching, and you know what, his mind games he used to play against anyone who would listen. How many times over the years did you hear Dale say, "fastest, greatest, strongest, smartest, best looking", ........add adjective here and he said it. He made it a point to let everyone in NKY, Ky., and the Tri-State know about his teams. That was one of his ways of keeping ahead of the competition. There was even a little ceremony when he was inducted to the Hall of Fame that, well was a motivator for the years to come for Dale. Lol!

So here we are. Season 7 and still looking for reasons on why BW should stay. What has he done to keep Highlands ahead of the competition? I'm sure there may be something but for the life of me, I can't think of any at the moment. I know he has been given access to incredible indoor facilities for one. And FTIS continue to attract top students academically so numbers shouldn't be down. FTIS also has had it's largest boom in class size the past few years as well. So whats up?

You know, sometimes things become stagnant and a change is needed. Why is that such a big deal?

#makethechange

Will you admit that Dale had some more talented players too? He had SEC, Big 10, MAC, Mountain West, AAC, etc. players. One of his best, McCoy(POY) chose the academic route. Also had numerous NAIA and D III guys. Makes a little difference.

People that know football aren't laughing as much as you are. They'll be better especially as other programs lose some talent. No matter who the coach happens to be winning 5A will be difficult at least until the next re-classification.

I am not laughing at the program, others are and I am just trying to defend it.

Nobody respects this program or loves this program more than I. I will challenge anyone that will prove otherwise.

This thread is incredible.

Will you admit that Dale had some more talented players too? He had SEC, Big 10, MAC, Mountain West, AAC, etc. players. One of his best, McCoy(POY) chose the academic route. Also had numerous NAIA and D III guys. Makes a little difference.

Surprised no comments on this. To me this is THE biggest reason for the decline at Highlands, they just don’t have the same level of talent that they did during Dale’s run.

Surprised no comments on this. To me this is THE biggest reason for the decline at Highlands, they just don’t have the same level of talent that they did during Dale’s run.

Yep and Dale played the best players regardless of their Class. HHS has lost some kids to either other schools or the lack of just not wasting their time with the current level of the Football program standards. Sorry but the Hergott and Shear kid both who also were QB's make a difference on the teams in their respective years.

Yep and Dale played the best players regardless of their Class. HHS has lost some kids to either other schools or the lack of just not wasting their time with the current level of the Football program standards. Sorry but the Hergott and Shear kid both who also were QB's make a difference on the teams in their respective years.

I’m sure some of those kids would make a difference. But neither are the big time D1 guys that Dale used to have just about every year. I’m not against questioning the current coach given the struggles the program has had. However, without the types of players Dale used to have, you wont see the same results. I played against some of Dales teams, the last few years the HHS teams haven’t had near that level of talent.

You’re just not going to have that level of talent year in and year out in NKY, no matter the school.

No need to answer or beat this to death because the talent is there.

If you don’t agree then you explain why Soccer, Baseball and now Basketball is doing so well.

For the period from 2010 through the time Dale retired in 2013. Who were these big time players? I know Pat Towles went to Kentucky and Drake Bruns went to Cincinnati, but who are the others?

Patrick Towles was told the same thing as the Shearer kid that went to Simon Kenton. You will never play quarterback at Highlands. So did these kids get that much better or is this simply not being able to recognize kids that have some talent?

I’m sure some of those kids would make a difference. But neither are the big time D1 guys that Dale used to have just about every year. I’m not against questioning the current coach given the struggles the program has had. However, without the types of players Dale used to have, you wont see the same results. I played against some of Dales teams, the last few years the HHS teams haven’t had near that level of talent.

You’re just not going to have that level of talent year in and year out in NKY, no matter the school.

Good point but every team that Dale had didn't always have elite level talent. 2002,2003 & 2008 come to mind to me. Good but not great. Those teams were good but they weren't that much better than the teams of late. Where was their talent and how were they able to sustain the level of excellence that was expected of them? They figured out how just fine how to get things done. Why now?