DearToday

Ranking the 12 State Teams

How about we just have Trinity and CovCath play at Carroll County on Saturday at around Noon? Everyone good with that? :bunny:

Trinity Lost to Indy Cathedral

Cathedral Lost to Cincy St. X and Elder

Elder and St. X both Lost to Cincy LaSalle

Cov Cath Whooped La Salle 28-0

1. Cov Cath

2. Trinity

3. F Douglas

4. Male

5. JC

6. Boyd

Congrats to all the State Champions and the Runners UP. Huge deal just to make it that far.

How about we just have Trinity and CovCath play at Carroll County on Saturday at around Noon? Everyone good with that? :bunny:

I would love for these teams to play so we can end this debate.

To that end T has 2 1k rushers for the season I believe and over 2k passing. We have balance and size on the lines.

I'd say that covers the balance angle.

Voice of Reason's listing of what is required to beat Cov. Catholic is right in Trinity's wheelhouse. He pretty much described this year's Trinity team.

ATLCat analyzed Covington Catholic very well in post #7. It is all about what can your offense do against their defense. To beat Covington Catholic you have to be a very good and balanced offensive team. You need size in your offensive line and a good back. Douglass demonstrated that a team with those ingredients can run the ball on Cov Cath. You have to run right at them. You will not get the edge on them. But that is not enough. You need a QB who can effectively hit the short passing game. The team with the offensive style to be effective against Cov Cath is Mayfield. I don't think Mayfield has the offensive line to get it done but their offensive scheme is the right way to attack Cov Cath. Then you have to be happy taking the short gains they give you, stay patient and grind it out.

Douglas netted 108 yards rushing against CovCath (23 rushing yards at half). This from a team averaging 248 yards a game coming into the game. Outside of one Neal run of 20 yards for the Broncos, there wasn't a whole lot of room to run. Neal was a very good high school back, Scott County's McKee said he would vote Neal for Mr. Football. Not saying a team couldn't run on CovCath, but LaSalle only gained 88 yards on the ground. It would have been interesting to watch a Trinity or Male go against this Colonel defense.

Endless debate and most CCH fans don’t really worry about Trinity.

However, CCH face many good RBs. The issue as I said before is size and strength on the line. Highlands won a lot of titles with smaller athletic lines. But they weren’t playing Trinity and X for those. I don’t think JC and Boyle and FD has enough to overwhelm CCH defense line and front 7. I am assuming Trinity would at least this year. 2017 was closer IMO.

Douglas netted 108 yards rushing against CovCath (23 rushing yards at half). This from a team averaging 248 yards a game coming into the game. Outside of one Neal run of 20 yards for the Broncos, there wasn't a whole lot of room to run. Neal was a very good high school back, Scott County's McKee said he would vote Neal for Mr. Football. Not saying a team couldn't run on CovCath, but LaSalle only gained 88 yards on the ground. It would have been interesting to watch a Trinity or Male go against this Colonel defense.

And Cov Cath's defense averaged giving up 42 yards per game. Neal carried 14 times for 108 averaging 6.7 per carry. Take away Neal's 25 yard run and he still averaged 6.3 per carry. Douglass was effective running at Cov Cath. They didn't have the passing game to compliment the running.

A power run only offense wasn’t that effective against CCH with the athletes crowding up to stop it with no real deep threat.

That’s why I thought Boyle and Cov Cath would have been a good matchup.

And Cov Cath's defense averaged giving up 42 yards per game. Neal carried 14 times for 108 averaging 6.7 per carry. Take away Neal's 25 yard run and he still averaged 6.3 per carry. Douglass was effective running at Cov Cath. They didn't have the passing game to compliment the running.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers, but Neal rushed for 94 yards on 14 carries. Take away the 20 yard carry and he averaged 5.7 yards on the other 13 attempts. Hat tip to that young man, nice job carrying the ball.

However, it seems the game plan now includes going right at the Colonels with an effective running game while also being able to work the flats, with the occasional deep ball thrown in for good measure. I would agree if a team can do all that, then yes they would have success moving the ball. Just not sure how many teams are equipped to do that.

Just not sure how many teams are equipped to do that.

Apparently at least 6 of the teams that played last weekend. :sssh:

1 CovCath (beat Lasalle and didn't lose all year)

2.Trinity (Loss to Male and Indy Cathedral who couldn't beat Cincy teams)

3. Male

4. Frederick Douglass (their size and athleticism would be too much for Other teams below)

5. Johnson Central

6. Boyle County

7. Somerset

8. Pikeville

9. Mayfield

10. Belfry

11. Paintsville

12. Bell County

Endless debate and most CCH fans don’t really worry about Trinity.

However, CCH face many good RBs. The issue as I said before is size and strength on the line. Highlands won a lot of titles with smaller athletic lines. But they weren’t playing Trinity and X for those. I don’t think JC and Boyle and FD has enough to overwhelm CCH defense line and front 7. I am assuming Trinity would at least this year. 2017 was closer IMO.

Don’t know much about JC and Boyle offense lines, however, FD has probably has the top two individual o lineman in the state with Parks and Burton, and the others weren’t slouches either. The FD O line was much stronger than CCH saw with LaSalle, but didn’t have the same level of rb’s.

It is kind of interesting that in the rankings on this thread everybody has JC ranked ahead of Boyle (for good reason as they beat them in the game that matters the most), but in the hypothetical best of 10 thread only 1 person has JC winning more games than Boyle.