DearToday

Ranking the 12 State Teams

Makes more sense for a NKY team like Cov Cath to schedule a GCL school than a Louisville school. Cov Cath has the best win in the state this year beating La Salle who many would argue is better than any team in Louisville this year.

Let me say that Trinity beat the Indiana 6A champions this year, Carmel. I don't have any idea whether this is a better win than CCH beating Cincy LaSalle-----just adding this nugget for some context.

Let me say that Trinity beat the Indiana 6A champions this year, Carmel. I don't have any idea whether this is a better win than CCH beating Cincy LaSalle-----just adding this nugget for some context.

You're completely right, and not only did they beat them, they destroyed them. The only reason I say the La Salle win is a better win is because of who La Salle beat (and who they lost to) vs. Carmel's schedule. At the end of the day though, Kentucky reigns supreme over Ohio and Indiana!

Personally I am just happy CovCath is State Champs.

I’d take a #12 ranking in this poll just to be State Champs this year.

My only real issue with CCH here is the fact that they struggled with FD in the title game. While I get that it was a scrimmage, and those are not always representative, Trinity made FD look like a middle school team when they played. I have a hard time believing FD got that much better as the season went along. .

I think trying to take anything away from a preseason scrimmage is crazy. Most teams improve greatly over the course of a season, especially those teams who a well coached and are breaking in new starters. This year, CCH could play with and likely win over T or Male, though this is definitely not the norm. I doubt any KY team had as much D1 talent this year as LaSalle, who Covcath thoroughly beat.

CCH was far more than just Mike this year. He made big difference obviously but most of the pass defense was corners and safeties. Felix is really good at LB

If he was all they had on offense, why didnt teams put three guys on him? Cause the other receivers would eat them alive.

Have no issue with most people ranking them 3. Pure size and depth in trenches is why. That’s why FD held them to 14. FD has more athletes than most teams in the 12 and they get 4th.

No one else should be ranked above CCH but 6A.

I think trying to take anything away from a preseason scrimmage is crazy. Most teams improve greatly over the course of a season, especially those teams who a well coached and are breaking in new starters. This year, CCH could play with and likely win over T or Male, though this is definitely not the norm. I doubt any KY team had as much D1 talent this year as LaSalle, who Covcath thoroughly beat.

If you are saying FD improved considerably over the course of the year then are you giving T the same benefit of the doubt? I have no doubt that they were a better team than they showed T in scrimmage but at the same time the T team that made them look quite pedestrian in a scrimmage also were likely better than you saw in said scrimmage. Thus you cannot throw out the 3 quarter's played under game conditions entirely. By the same token I am willing to grant that CovCath could compete with both H and T this season and maybe even win a few in a series of games, but I highly doubt it would be the majority.

So if a team greatly improves over the course of a season, then we can assume that Trinity would improve in a similar way, and maintain the distance they showed in the scrimmage, correct?

If you are saying FD improved considerably over the course of the year then are you giving T the same benefit of the doubt? I have no doubt that they were a better team than they showed T in scrimmage but at the same time the T team that made them look quite pedestrian in a scrimmage also were likely better than you saw in said scrimmage. Thus you cannot throw out the 3 quarter's played under game conditions entirely. By the same token I am willing to grant that CovCath could compete with both H and T this season and maybe even win a few in a series of games, but I highly doubt it would be the majority.

I don’t put much into a pre season scrimmage for any team, not just the one between FD and T. I’m sure they both improved from the start of the season. My main point there was that CCH greatly improved from start of season with having mostly new starters on both sides of the ball. I also think it’s tough to compare common opponents, each game plays out differently. I mean T was roughed up pretty good by Cathedral out of Indy, while I believe a couple of the GCL schools beat them, I don’t take this to mean CCH is better than Cathedral. My primary point is that while CCH or most other schools couldn’t hang with T or M most years, I believe this year is the exception. But it’s all just a fun debate at this point.

Trinity

CovCath

Male

Johnson Central

Boyle County

Frederick Douglas

Pikeville

Belfry

Somerset

Mayfield

Bell County

Paintsville

And I will say this about the Trinity-CovCath debate

1. I normally don't put too much stock in a preseason scrimmage. But the score was 49-0 in three quarters correct? That's a no-contest and no brainer.

2. We could always settle it next year? I believe I heard this weekend that Trinity has week three or week four open. Wouldn't help this seasons debate but would be fun for a week next year for the two champs to play.

ATLCat analyzed Covington Catholic very well in post #7. It is all about what can your offense do against their defense. To beat Covington Catholic you have to be a very good and balanced offensive team. You need size in your offensive line and a good back. Douglass demonstrated that a team with those ingredients can run the ball on Cov Cath. You have to run right at them. You will not get the edge on them. But that is not enough. You need a QB who can effectively hit the short passing game. The team with the offensive style to be effective against Cov Cath is Mayfield. I don't think Mayfield has the offensive line to get it done but their offensive scheme is the right way to attack Cov Cath. Then you have to be happy taking the short gains they give you, stay patient and grind it out.

Cov Cath's offense was hit or miss this year. A lot of inconsistency. Their defense was so good that they got a lot of possessions and all those possessions and short fields were a big help to the offense. A team that can be somewhat effective against the Cov Cath defense and limit the number of possessions has a chance to beat them.

Assuming I am right about that, does Trinity or other teams have the offense to accomplish that against Cov Cath? Big athletic offensive line; top notch back; QB, receivers and passing scheme to execute bubble screens, slants, quick outs, etc.?

One other thought. I would be interested in seeing a Johnson Central or Belfry style offense against Cov Cath's defense and see how they would defend against that style offense.

ATLCat analyzed Covington Catholic very well in post #7. It is all about what can your offense do against their defense. To beat Covington Catholic you have to be a very good and balanced offensive team. You need size in your offensive line and a good back. Douglass demonstrated that a team with those ingredients can run the ball on Cov Cath. You have to run right at them. You will not get the edge on them. But that is not enough. You need a QB who can effectively hit the short passing game. The team with the offensive style to be effective against Cov Cath is Mayfield. I don't think Mayfield has the offensive line to get it done but their offensive scheme is the right way to attack Cov Cath. Then you have to be happy taking the short gains they give you, stay patient and grind it out.

Cov Cath's offense was hit or miss this year. A lot of inconsistency. Their defense was so good that they got a lot of possessions and all those possessions and short fields were a big help to the offense. A team that can be somewhat effective against the Cov Cath defense and limit the number of possessions has a chance to beat them.

Assuming I am right about that, does Trinity or other teams have the offense to accomplish that against Cov Cath? Big athletic offensive line; top notch back; QB, receivers and passing scheme to execute bubble screens, slants, quick outs, etc.?

One other thought. I would be interested in seeing a Johnson Central or Belfry style offense against Cov Cath's defense and see how they would defend against that style offense.

To that end T has 2 1k rushers for the season I believe and over 2k passing. We have balance and size on the lines.