theguru

Somerset 34 Mayfield 31 (Class 2A State Championship)

A couple of big plays - the fumbled Kickoff, then Mayfield had 4th and 1 and would have sealed it, but procedure. All in all, Somerset was the better team I thought and deserved to win. Jayden Stinson put on a show for the Cards also. What a classic game.

Mayfield had trouble covering the old wheel route that last series. Man that has to be hard pill to shallow.

Somerset went from devastation to jubilation.

Love the words!

Somerset went from devastation to jubilation.

And for Mayfield, vice versa.

I’m glad the official had the guts to throw that pass interference. Lots of times they swallow their whistles in clutch moments.

I’m glad the official had the guts to throw that pass interference. Lots of times they swallow their whistles in clutch moments.

I thought the same - good point.

Saw replay of last play and Mayfield secondary looked confused thus leaving WR open in endzone.

That last pass is one that seems like it’s in the air for a month. :lol2:

The quest for that elusive state title has reached its end. My heart swells for Somerset's kids and that community.

What an incredible climax to what was already a classic. This game seemed to stoke the competitive spirit in both teams. Somerset scores, Mayfield answers, Somerset scores, Mayfield answers, Mayfield seemingly has the championship in its grasp, Somerset snatches it away. Both sides delivered today.

On the other end of the spectrum, your heart goes out to those Mayfield kids. They lose one of the best football players in the state to an in-game injury, but soldier on to eventually put themselves in position to win the game, only to lose in that fashion. This one will sting for a good long while, but especially so for Stinson. A state title was the one glaring hole in his resume. He leaves Mayfield with most, if not all of the passing records, but not a ring.

Cool story...

When Somerset was down 13 to 0 to Breathitt County, Kaiya Sheron was seen smiling on the sidelines. A coach asked him why he was smiling and he said, "It just makes the story better!"

Well what a story it is now!