swamprat

Madisonville North-Hopkins 45 Franklin-Simpson 31

From reading the updates, it felt like that inadvertent whistle was the turning point. Just a huge psychological blow.

In past years, Madisonville would have been hosting a state semifinal game now. Instead, they get to travel over 300 miles to Johnson Central. #thanksKHSAA

From reading the updates, it felt like that inadvertent whistle was the turning point. Just a huge psychological blow.

In past years, Madisonville would have been hosting a state semifinal game now. Instead, they get to travel over 300 miles to Johnson Central. #thanksKHSAA

Personally, I have no problem with the new system! ;)

In all honesty, I look forward to see the Maroons and Mr. Hightower in the Nest this Friday night!

Impressed with both teams moxie in this one! Good luck to Madisonville next week! I'll be rooting for you!

Really nice turnaround Franklin and I think they will be really strong next year too!

Not a fan of the RPI, play a weak schedule, beat lesser teams, get a high RPI and host teams from far away and you will have significant advantage. :idunno:

Impressed with both teams moxie in this one! Good luck to Madisonville next week! I'll be rooting for you!

Really nice turnaround Franklin and I think they will be really strong next year too!

Not a fan of the RPI, play a weak schedule, beat lesser teams, get a high RPI and host teams from far away and you will have significant advantage. :idunno:

So are you saying that Johnson Central played a weaker schedule than Madisonville North Hopkins?

So are you saying that Johnson Central played a weaker schedule than Madisonville North Hopkins?

I mean Madisonville definitely played in the tougher district. They also scheduled Mayfield, who is better then any team JC had played.

The inadvertent whistle was the biggest play of the game. FS have come from being down 14-7 to lead 24-21 at the half. MNH was driving to take the lead to start the second half. They fumble occurred, FS recovered and had the momentum. However, there was the whistle. After a lengthy discussion the ball was returned to Madisonville with a 2nd and 1. The Maroons went on to score and take a 27-24 lead.

It certainly seemed that with the offensive momentum FS generated in the first half they could realistically could have built a 31-21 lead. Changing the game totally.

Having said all that, the better team won the region. Madisonville should be playing Louisville Central at home next week but KHSAA wisdom demands a 300 mile trek to Paintsville. Good Luck Maroons.

This is what happened on the inadvertent whistle play: Madisonville had driven to about the FS 30 with the first possession of the second half trailing by four. On 2nd and 1, the shotgun snap was low and rolled on the ground past Madisonville QB Reynolds. He ran back to the ball and dove on the ground to cover it. As he hit the ground, he either caused the ball to squirt out from under himself or slid past it altogether, it was hard to tell. The official blew the whistle, apparently assuming Reynolds had recovered the ball and probably trying to keep FS defenders from jumping on top of Reynolds to try to get the ball. FS made a clear recovery of the ball, but the early whistle rendered the play null and void. If it had just been ruled a recovery by Madisonville, it would have been 3rd and 12 or so and FS would have had a decent chance of stopping the drive. But the inadvertent whistle was the best possible outcome for Madisonville on the play as they got another chance at 2nd and 1 and Hightower took it to the end zone. That hurt FS, but the beginning of the end was on the ensuing drive when FS punted on 4th and 3 near midfield and Madisonville scored again almost immediately. I was surprised FS didn’t go for it there, while only trailing by three in a game where it felt like neither team could stop the other. For the game, I think FS stopped Madisonville once and Madisonville stopped FS three times.

Congratulations to the Maroons. FS just could not stop Hightower and company tonight. The inadvertent whistle was unfortunate, but FS benefited from one last week against ACS and it’s just one of those things that happen sometimes. Madisonville is a very deserving Region Champion and definitely earned it. Good luck to Madisonville next week.

I mean Madisonville definitely played in the tougher district. They also scheduled Mayfield, who is better then any team JC had played.

I will give you Madisonville played in the tougher district.

But to say they played a tougher overall schedule is quite a stretch. All of the Maroons best wins are against District opponents, while there best out of district win according to Calpreps is Franklin Simpson last night, and Daviess County during the regular season.

All of JC’s out of District opponents, excluding Lafayette, are ranked above Daviess County. Johnson Central has 7 wins better than anyone Madisonville has beaten.

If the system was designed to reward better scheduling, and winning those games, then it seems to have worked. I know this system isn’t perfect, and needs to better reflect out of state opponents, but I like it better than the old way. It holds coaches and teams more accountable for their schedules.

I don't think @Purple88 's comment above was about JC's schedule. I think it was more about teams having to travel across the entire state for a semi-final game under the new system.

On the schedule discussion, JC played a tougher schedule than Madisonville. Belfry is better than Mayfield and the next three best opponents on the schedules of these two all are on JC's schedule (Wayne Co. plus the two out of state teams JC played).

Disagree. If the schedule was so superior it would not be a difference of .597 to .705. The rpi accounts for wins, opponents records and their opponents records.

Czar, the RPI piece is not directed at Johnson Central, but is a criticism of the RPI process in general. I have respect for the Eagles and know they play a challenging schedule. Not all do that get high RPIs and I would say more do not play a challenging schedule to get the high RPI and I don’t look for that to change and in a 6 class set up that creates watered down football which I don’t appreciate.

I don't think @Purple88 's comment above was about JC's schedule. I think it was more about teams having to travel across the entire state for a semi-final game under the new system.

On the schedule discussion, JC played a tougher schedule than Madisonville. Belfry is better than Mayfield and the next three best opponents on the schedules of these two all are on JC's schedule (Wayne Co. plus the two out of state teams JC played).

Correct VOR, I was not targeting Johnson Central on my RPI comment.

Disagree. If the schedule was so superior it would not be a difference of .597 to .705. The rpi accounts for wins, opponents records and their opponents records.

Hats,

Even though it may appear that way, my RPI comment is not directed at Madisonville and JC. It is a criticism of the RPI process in general.