Sign in to follow this  
theguru

Is the 13 point loss to CovCath a moral victory for Highlands?

Not at all. The final score of this game is irrelevant imo.

This game was never ever close so it might as well been 64-0.

I have played this game at two levels and know first hand when you have been had and Highlands was had tonight just like Highlands use to have their way with CovCath not long ago.

CovCath is the better football program right now...

....and for the foreseeable future.

I for one think this game could be a very positive, confidence builder for the Birds. Group of guys that might have hoped they could be competitive against CovCath but have only known past defeat against a team that bravado says they are best in state and are undefeated powerhouse coming off a complete victory against a top 100 team in the country. They withstood CovCath's best shot and were standing at the end proudly defending their goal line in a 13-0 defeat.

Moral victory? I don't know what that is. But, if it is proving you can stand tall and compete with a superior opponent and not surrender, you bet it is. If it means that you will leave it all on the field and look back proudly at the results knowing you might have made a mistake, but never because your effort was less than all you had, then it might be. If it was a game that let you know you can beat these guys the next time if you are willing to pay the price, you bet it is.

Candidly, Highlands is not the best team; however, this game proved to the Birds that on playoff game night victory can be had.

I get the thread and judging by the way several HHS fans posted in the game final thread you would have almost thought they won. Celebrating as if they won the game after a goal line stop and many inferring that “it was only a 13 point loss” had me scratching my head thinking several thought it was a moral victory.

Doesn’t matter if it was a 1, 13, or 25 point defeat it’s a loss and in this case not even scoring a single point is more telling for me. At some point you’ve got to score.

This may be one of the dumbest questions ever posed!!! For a program that has 20 plus state championships, there are no such things as moral victories!!!

I get the thread and judging by the way several HHS fans posted in the game final thread you would have almost thought they won. Celebrating as if they won the game after a goal line stop and many inferring that “it was only a 13 point loss” had me scratching my head thinking several thought it was a moral victory.

Doesn’t matter if it was a 1, 13, or 25 point defeat it’s a loss and in this case not even scoring a single point is more telling for me. At some point you’ve got to score.

No moral victories but I am please to tag Cooper as the 4 seed next week.

Highlands is now 49-22 all-time against Covington Catholic. The next win by the Bluebirds over the Colonels will be the 50th against them.

The taunting after the stop at the end of the game didn’t go unnoticed, and will certainly be on their minds if they meet again. I know CCH certainly is not happy that they only won by 13.

As I am sure the Highlands players and coaches will remember Cov Cath trying to play add on in the final seconds of a game that was already decided. I completely understand the Highlands players being excited about stuffing CCH four times from the 2 yard line, perhaps even more so in that situation.

As I am sure the Highlands players and coaches will remember Cov Cath trying to play add on in the final seconds of a game that was already decided. I completely understand the Highlands players being excited about stuffing CCH four times from the 2 yard line, perhaps even more so in that situation.

I’ve got no issue with HHS players being excited for the stop at the end of the game. It was a good stop. The issue I noticed was with the multiple taunting penalties on Highlands throughout the game. It seemed like nearly every time HHS made a tackle the player stood over the CCH player and “flexed” or had something to say. Odd behavior for a team losing the entire game. I commend CCH for not taking the bait and remaining focused on winning.

Well, quite frankly, if you're above moral victories, then you SHOULD be above taunting and trash talking. Let the goal line stand and hard nosed play speak for itself.

There are great things to be learned in stepping out in the arena and standing tall against a superior opponent. Whatever you call that loss (moral victory?) like Highlands experienced, BW learned a lot about the character and capabilities of his team that has the potential to be a difference generator in the next meeting.

I agree to a point. I always question running actual plays with starters when the game is over. I would not have. (Caleb seemed gimpy after last play).

Too much flexing in general in games in my opinion. Showing my age I guess.

Not a Bluebird but programs with 900 wins, 20+ state titles, national rankings etc. do not think about moral victories only the next opportunity to win. I must add that I was impressed by Psalm G's math in his post! Just teasing, but it gives me new hope for journalists!!

Highlands is now 49-22 all-time against Covington Catholic. The next win by the Bluebirds over the Colonels will be the 50th against them.

That may be years away my friend.

I get it too. Exactly what this thread is about-the Birds got their moral victory...a stop at the end in a game in a game where CCH dropped 2 TD balls, had 1 TD called back on a ghost call etc etc. Good for Highlands feeling they "held" CCH to 13 points. CCH needs a bye week in the worst way to get healthy and just needs to get out of Hebron with Conner getting a moral victory, and get ready for the playoffs with whomever is still available to go.

I’ve got no issue with HHS players being excited for the stop at the end of the game. It was a good stop. The issue I noticed was with the multiple taunting penalties on Highlands throughout the game. It seemed like nearly every time HHS made a tackle the player stood over the CCH player and “flexed” or had something to say. Odd behavior for a team losing the entire game. I commend CCH for not taking the bait and remaining focused on winning.

Also odd considering they are going to be the first class to ever go through Highlands without beating CCH. Not much to brag about when you watch the tape, a CCH player drops a perfectly placed ball (there were 11 of them), and then they flex like they did something while knowing they were not going to score a point the entire game. CCH wants them in the worst way again in Park Hills when they are healthier.

Sign in to follow this