16thBBall Fan

Conner 20 Highlands 17

Man, I really like Brian Weinrich, he is a great guy. This one is going to get that seat hot I think. If I were him though, I’d change gears right here and play studs both ways. I think the argument just got finished tonight about whether 2 platoon is better than playing your studs both ways. I need to hear the exact explanation on why Huddy is not used on offense.

First of all UK Band was outstanding.

Second, Conner played with more enthusiasm and never gave up when down 14 early.

Three, time to clean the house from top to bottom. The program is stale and there are members of the coaching staff (Umberg) need to step back to the Fort Thomas Junior Football League.

Four, I have said since the 2015 season that this 2 platoon system is overrated when you have kids playing that otherwise would not even see the field. Coach would rather lose games than put kids on both sides of the ball when in a must win situation.

I am no fan of the offense as Conner was loading the box. No TE and to be candid line has issues and can’t block even across the face at all levels. Congrats to Richter cutting back with field vision. QB has to eliminate negative yards; however no pass on a slant with backers coming all day is on the staff. DB has to find the ball when in the air doesn’t anybody yell pass any more?? I guess they would rather text it. Huddy has to play offense right now our best play is the kick return. Congrats to Hicks and #11 sat next to grandpa and he always came down with a big catch. HHS did not play well, for sure but Congrats to Conner for getting the win with grit. They elected to put points on the board and gave themselves a chance to win and capitalized.

If they beat Cov Cath with the same game plan of last night it would be shocking. The coaching staff has 5 or so amazing athletes that are not utilized as much as they could be. The program used to succeed at 2 platoon when they had athletes in great numbers. It is hard to find a team that does the 2 platoon as strictly as Highlands. Even larger schools like Elder use their talents on both sides. Now the depth is not there to do this. If they refuse to adapt, evolution will run its course. I hope they change, there are some great coaches on that staff.

As far as putting a lot on one kid... Starting a player that shouldn’t be on the varsity field yet because you have to stick to platoon, in my opinion is putting a lot on one kid. The studs are begging to go both ways.

The coach of HHS defense is not giving his one way players to the offense. When he coached the offense he did not share with the defense so why now.

Sad to say, we all know in today's world winning is not everything. Its about kids participating - right?

NOT.

It's always funny to me hearing the great platoon debate. If a team that platoon wins a game, and it looks like the other team may have gotten a little tired playing both ways. People complain that you have to play more guys. That you need to develop more guys so you can platoon like the team who just beat you does.

Then if a team who platoon loses. The argument is always well you need to play more guys both ways so your best players are on the field more. Its pretty simple people in the stands always think they have all the answers after a team loses.

I'm not really on any side of this argument as I see benefits to both. It is just funny to me hearing people complain about it, because if a team losses to a team that platoons then it is always well they need to platoon like the other team to stay fresh. Or if you lose while platooning it is you need to play more guys both ways. So it just is funny to me when people debate this.

I’d be surprised if #1 isn’t getting some snaps on “O”, come Oct 18. Then again, I haven’t seen a snap of HHS this year, just a hunch. He’s just too good a player.

It's always funny to me hearing the great platoon debate. If a team that platoon wins a game, and it looks like the other team may have gotten a little tired playing both ways. People complain that you have to play more guys. That you need to develop more guys so you can platoon like the team who just beat you does.

Then if a team who platoon loses. The argument is always well you need to play more guys both ways so your best players are on the field more. Its pretty simple people in the stands always think they have all the answers after a team loses.

I'm not really on any side of this argument as I see benefits to both. It is just funny to me hearing people complain about it, because if a team losses to a team that platoons then it is always well they need to platoon like the other team to stay fresh. Or if you lose while platooning it is you need to play more guys both ways. So it just is funny to me when people debate this.

The only problem with your theories is that a good coach looks at his personnel before each season and if there are not a sufficient number of guys to 2 platoon you adjust and adapt.

Also have a problem hearing Weinrich said the offense could have whomever they wanted if it would help. Are you kidding me? You are the coach for goodness sakes and your job depends on it.

I’d be surprised if #1 isn’t getting some snaps on “O”, come Oct 18. Then again, I haven’t seen a snap of HHS this year, just a hunch. He’s just too good a player.

I hear you, but be surprised if it happened. They could put him there, but no guarantee they could devise a scheme to use him successfully.

They should put in a package with Huddy at wildcat QB and put in South and Schwalbach in at fullbacks. You’d only need like 3 plays and run it no huddle. Just to mix it up.

Also, with the regular offense they need a few screen plays. It’s the natural answer to the other team bringing the house every play.

Last night was the first HHS game I have seen this year and I have to say that was one of the worst offensive performances I have seen. The first half was just bad football by both teams. I am pretty sure there were seven fumbles recovered by the opposing team (4 by HHS and 3 by Conner) IN THE FIRST HALF. Conner threw a pick so I believe each team had 4 turnovers in the first half...of course on the Conner pick, the HHS DB fumbled the ball right back to Conner after a nice return.

I agree with others about Huddy playing on offense. I am not saying he should play every play on offense but he (and probably others) should have some packages designed for him on offense. He is clearly the best athlete on the team and has a HUGE motor so let him help you some on offense. I just seems like a no-brainer to me. You literally cannot do worse than what I saw last night and from what I have heard, last week was even worse. What do you have to lose by trying something different?

I also heard from someone in the locker room after the game that Huddy absolutely went off on the team. It was loud and many of the words said contained four letters.

Highlands offense just wasn’t good enough. At all.

That may be the biggest understatement of the year Deuce:).

I believe Jared Hicks to be the best QB in NKY.

I have not seen any other QB's in NKY this year so I won't disagree with you. I will say that if he is the best QB in NKY, it is a very down year for QB's this year. He is a decent QB but nothing special IMO.

You heard right. Huddy really lit into the team. He said it’s not all on the offense either.

I've been thinking that same thing all year. You could drive a semi through that hole with Schwalbach and South blocking not to mention they are both good ball handlers.

just seems like a no-brainer to me. You literally cannot do worse than what I saw last night and from what I have heard, last week was even worse. What do you have to lose by trying something different?

Well put.

Last night was the first HHS game I have seen this year and I have to say that was one of the worst offensive performances I have seen. The first half was just bad football by both teams. I am pretty sure there were seven fumbles recovered by the opposing team (4 by HHS and 3 by Conner) IN THE FIRST HALF. Conner threw a pick so I believe each team had 4 turnovers in the first half...of course on the Conner pick, the HHS DB fumbled the ball right back to Conner after a nice return.

I agree with others about Huddy playing on offense. I am not saying he should play every play on offense but he (and probably others) should have some packages designed for him on offense. He is clearly the best athlete on the team and has a HUGE motor so let him help you some on offense. I just seems like a no-brainer to me. You literally cannot do worse than what I saw last night and from what I have heard, last week was even worse. What do you have to lose by trying something different?

I also heard from someone in the locker room after the game that Huddy absolutely went off on the team. It was loud and many of the words said contained four letters.

So one player goes into the locker room and undresses his team using four letter superlatives. This accomplishes what exactly and secondly, where were the coaches when this happened and how did they address it if at all?

Would it be crazy to think the coaches aren’t playing Huddy on offense at this point out of fear that he will do well, and the Highlands faithful will be calling for the staffs collective heads for waiting so long to play him?

It's not just the offense that could use some help. There are athletic receivers that could help the DB position.

If only we could get some of the posters in this thread on the coaching staff, Highlands would immediately be back to winning titles.