How have teams handled practice in the heat?

For example....

Mercer County:

- practice inside on hot days.

- practice in shells.

- practice before school on Wednesdays.

Just curious what other people are doing, looking for new/better ideas.

Thank you!

Douglass practices at 6:00am in the mornings.

Is that all season?

With soccer season coming to a close in Pendleton Co, we went under the lights 7-9 last night for practice. Might try to do it the same way for fall break next week. The kids seemed to enjoy it and the field can't get much worse than it already is. We just tried to stay on the periphery most of practice and salvage what we can. It gets a 2 week break while we are on the district road trip, so no more games on it except football games (thank God).

Is that all season?

No just because of the heat right now. But they do always come in at 6 for their Thursday practice I believe.

I’m amazed that there are teams that do morning practices for football. Maybe because my high school coach was very adamant that we stay off the game field unless it was absolutely necessary, and as such didn’t have lights available, but we never practiced before 8 AM during summer or after 7 PM during school. In regards to heat, pads came off at index 95, and practice stopped at 100. We would occasionally go inside the gym for practice if it wasn’t being used by basketball or volleyball, though this was rare.

I’m amazed that there are teams that do morning practices for football. Maybe because my high school coach was very adamant that we stay off the game field unless it was absolutely necessary, and as such didn’t have lights available, but we never practiced before 8 AM during summer or after 7 PM during school. In regards to heat, pads came off at index 95, and practice stopped at 100. We would occasionally go inside the gym for practice if it wasn’t being used by basketball or volleyball, though this was rare.

Frederick Douglass like a lot of high schools now have turf field so it doesn’t matter how much you are on it.

I know of a few schools that started practice at 8:00 PM in August before the school year started.

Our practice field has lights. Yes, we are spoiled. Lol.