Colonels_Wear_Blue

Jack Kaelin, longtime Cov Cath teacher & coach, has died.

Mr. Kaelin died this afternoon.

Jack's first year at Covington Catholic was the 1963/'64 school year, and he retired in 2013 after finishing his 50th year teaching at Cov Cath. He was a long-time economics and German teacher, in addition to serving as the athletic director in the 1970s, and spending many years as the school's cross country coach.

He was responsible for organizing the Covington Catholic Invitational Cross Country Meet, one of the longest-standing annual meets in the state. Coach Kaelin led the Colonels' cross country team to 2 state championships, in 1982 and 1994.

Jack was also responsible for almost single-handedly running the Northern Kentucky Freshman Invitational Basketball Tournament each winter for over 30 years, and the tournament now bears his name.

Rest in peace, Herr Kaelin.

Thanks for posting CWB. Wonder if it makes sense to also post something in the hoops category, given his visibility as a long time announcer for the basketball games, as well THE MAN for so many years, running the freshman tourney.

Here's a really nice article on Jack. James Weber from the Enquirer did a great job hustling to get it out by this morning. My favorite quote from the article:

His involvement with the athletic programs at CovCath began his first year at the school when legendary basketball coach Mote Hils noticed Kaelin watching practice on a regular basis. Hils asked him if he wanted to keep the scorebook during games.

Kaelin never stopped doing that. Kaelin was scorekeeper for basketball after he retired as a teacher. He was the scorekeeper for CovCath’s loss in the state final in 1967, and the Colonels’ first state championship win in 2014.

Legendary Covington Catholic coach, teacher, pioneer Jack Kaelin dies | Cincinnati.com

Kaelin 50 years at scorer's table.jpg

Taken in January 2013 in a Covington Catholic win over Newport Central Catholic, basketball fans applaud Jack Kaelin, who was honored for 50 years as a CovCath teacher. Kaelin has his hands folded between the first two officials from the left.

Mr.Kaelin was also a longtime track official in Northern Kentucky. He was a nice man and well-respected by the NKY track community.

Jack Kaelin was one of the people who make CovCath what it is.

Faithful and passionate to the core. I'm proud to have been associated all these many years and to be considered his friend.

For years he also doubled as a mutuals clerk at Turfway Park.

Jack wore the school motto and mission statement on his sleeve and bled CovCath blue.

Another legend lost!

With the passing of Jack Kaelin, I can't help but remember Scott Knochelman today. While only 25 years old when we lost him, he was Jack's "right hand man" in the early days of the Freshman Tournament, and was also destined to become a CovCath legend.

Edited by Mustang

I had the privilege of being at the scorers table with Jack at Holmes a few years ago in the districts, what a passion he had for high school sports. Honored I got to know him, Rest In Peace.

I had not seen the pictures from his younger days before. Thanks for sharing.

As a well spent day brings happy sleep,

so life well used brings happy death.

-Leonardo DaVinci

When Jack Kaelin retired from teaching at Covington Catholic High School after 50 years, the school started a scholarship fund in his name that has raised thousands of dollars to help families afford a Catholic education for their sons.

Kaelin passed away Saturday at the age of 77, but his memory will live on through the scholarship and the countless lives he touched as a teacher, coach and administrator.

“When you think of the history of the school, he’s probably the biggest legend who was there,” said Tony Bacigalupo, athletic director and economics teacher at CovCath. “He impacted everyone he touched in a positive way. He was one of those guys who connected with everyone and was loved by everyone.”

Covington Catholic community mourns the passing of legendary teacher, coach Jack Kaelin

Details for the funeral and visitations:

Visitation will be on Wednesday, April 3, 2019 from 4:00pm-8:00pm at Covington Catholic High School Gymnasium.

An additional visitation will be on Thursday, April 4, 2019 begin at 11:00am until the words of remembrance at 11:45am.

Mass of Christian burial will be on Thursday, April 4, 2019 at 12:00pm at St. Pius X Church in Edgewood.

A reception will follow mass in Milligan Hall. Burial at St. Mary's Cemetery. Memorial contributions to: Covington Catholic High School, St. Pius X Church and St. Anne's Convent.

A letter written by Mr. Kaelin and published in the Covington Catholic Alumni Journal following his retirement in 2013:

Allow me to begin with a “thank you” to Christa Ellison, Carol Rasp, Bill Snyder ’64, Tony Barczak ’95, Pat Anneken ’85, Rick Lux ’72, Rob Marshall ’84, Sue Finke, Bob Rowe, and Laura and Ron Rohling ’87 for the planning of my 50th Year Retirement Party. The evening could not have been better planned from the memorabilia in the Williams Annex (lobby) to an unforgettable line of well-wishers in the gym. It was a special night.

The evening began with music from Mr. Wolfe and our Chamber Choir. The Chamber Choir will go down in history as one of CCH’s best kept secrets. They make my list of Top 100 groups as #1, ahead of the Beatles and the Beach Boys. If you have never heard them, they are a Must Hear. Thank you, Mr. Wolfe and Chamber Choir. Then came a film written and produced by Jordan Pauly ’05 that featured events and testimonials from Jim Johnson, close friend and track official; Al Hertsenberg and Bill Snyder, faculty members; Mrs. Carol Burns, vice president of Junior Achievement Partners of Cincinnati; Dan Barczak ’99, alumnus and athlete who ran for me; Mark Schult, present student from my German 3 class; David Kaelin, my nephew who represented the family; Mr. Carl Foster, principal at Newport Central Catholic High School and childhood friend; Mr. Rob Marshall, top runner from the 1982 State Championship Team and my close friend still; Mr. Bob Rowe, principal; and Catholic Schools.

A very special part of the evening was the introduction of the State Championship Teams of 1982 and 1994. Many traveled from distances including California, New York, Connecticut and Wisconsin. Also present for this festive evening were Mr. Howie Knachel who turned the track and cross country programs over to me after going on to The Ohio State University for continuation of his degree, and Mr. Tim Lynch and Mr. Pat Anneken, assistant coaches.

Thank you to Mr. Mike Guidugli who presented me with a referee shirt as a joke as I refused to wear one throughout my final year of keeping basketball scores. This is a new rule by the KHSAA requiring basketball scorekeepers to wear this shirt. Yes, I still have a feisty attitude about such things. I was also presented a banner for the gym announcing the 2013 bowling team as the regional champion As a final tribute, it was announced a scholarship was established in my name to be given to students who wish to attend Covington Catholic. The scholarship has exceeded $12,500 and is still growing. If you wish to contribute, send your donation to Development Office and indicate the Kaelin Scholarship Fund.

Finally, I wish to thank all of you who were at the Retirement Party and apologize if I did not have time to talk to each of you. There were more there than the time would permit to greet and thank. I am grateful for all of the families who have touched my life. You made me welcome at CCH, and I am a better man for it. I want to assure you that I will live out our school’s motto, With a Spirit that Will Not Die.

THANK YOU!