CCHDynasty

Covington Catholic 57 Newport 43 (9th Region Semifinals)

Agree, but the ref who called it was behind the play and had roughly the same angle as myself. I didn’t see the left arm extend from my angle. All I saw is the dribble between the legs and the CCh defender fall down.

He broke the kids ankles and made him look bad so it HAD to be a foul. Plus you can’t do those things to the NKY favorites.

Newport doesn’t get ignored and hasn’t for years, in any sport. But it’s something Newport folks have learned to expect.

There’s a counter to that .. maybe a pattern of mouthiness prevents the turn your head/cover your eyes moments from the refs.

There’s a counter to that .. maybe a pattern of mouthiness prevents the turn your head/cover your eyes moments from the refs.

I won’t disagree, but people expect it and are looking for it before the game even starts. It’s been this way for years. When I played it was this way. Even folks before me will tell you.

Phantom charge, just a snippet of one bad call. Twitter

That isn't the greatest of angles. Opposite side of the court, from behind. I'll give it to you, from that angle it does appear to be a bad call. The Newport crowd seems to agree - surprise of the decade right there.

Bad calls happen. It's unfortunate. It's also part of the game. They happen. The game was won or lost for a lot of reasons over and above one (possibly) bad call. You can say "the refs were against Newport" or whatever the banner is that you're trying to wave, but at the end of the day the people who claim that game's result was decided because of officiating end up being in in the minority, and usually hail from the losing camp.

Newport doesn’t get ignored and hasn’t for years, in any sport. But it’s something Newport folks have learned to expect.

So what makes you think officials "have it in" for Newport, as you're seeming to imply?

I would like you to show me how much interaction have these officials from Louisville have ever had with Newport HS sports in order to even remotely substantiate your argument that the officials were intentionally picking on Newport, as officials have done for "years" in "any sport".

Discussion of refs favoring CCH, dirty play and specifically calling a single player dirty is nauseating.

Out of town refs last night, but now of course, the theory is that their statewide success gets them all the calls.

Bologna.

So tired of it. If you don’t like em, beat em.

I won’t disagree, but people expect it and are looking for it before the game even starts. It’s been this way for years. When I played it was this way. Even folks before me will tell you.

If the behavior changes, the expectations will change! May take some time but it will happen.

So what makes you think officials "have it in" for Newport, as you're seeming to imply?

I would like you to show me how much interaction have these officials from Louisville have ever had with Newport HS sports in order to even remotely substantiate your argument that the officials were intentionally picking on Newport, as officials have done for "years" in "any sport".

Ask anybody who grew up and went to Newport.

If the behavior changes, the expectations will change! May take some time but it will happen.

I’d like to agree.

Discussion of refs favoring CCH, dirty play and specifically calling a single player dirty is nauseating.

Out of town refs last night, but now of course, the theory is that their statewide success gets them all the calls.

Bologna.

The Golden Boys get favored, period, no matter who they play.

Bologna.

If you take off the blue colored glasses, it’s fairly easy to see. They get away with it by setting the tone of the game with their physical style of play from the toss of the ball. I’ll call it good coaching. Pushing the rules to the limits like Belichick. As a spectator it’s easy to see and hard to watch at times.

Ask anybody who grew up and went to Newport.

So if Newport players/fans say they get unfair treatment, then that makes it absolutely true?

Did Orta get his foot on the bag before Worrell caught the ball in Game 6 of the '85 Series? Well just ask any Kansas City fan...of course he did.

If you take off the blue colored glasses, it’s fairly easy to see. They get away with it by setting the tone of the game with their physical style of play from the toss of the ball. I’ll call it good coaching. Pushing the rules to the limits like Belichick. As a spectator it’s easy to see and hard to watch at times.

No blue colored glasses. This post is far more accurate of what occurs.

Officials have whistles. They govern. The players test the limits and adjust accordingly. Period.

The Golden Boys get favored, period, no matter who they play.

Yep. You’re right. Golden Boys!!!

The refs swallowed the whistle last night and Beechwood got the win. I expect the refs to let them play. Personally I like how all these officials have called the games. Let them play.