Covington Catholic 57 Newport 43 (9th Region Semifinals)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree it should be a good one. I thought Cov Cath looked much better tonight than they had the past couple of weeks and seemed to shoot it better. Wonder if Cov Cath will have figured out how to beat Beechwoods pressure. They really struggled with it last game. Also when a team beats a team twice, they have a ton of belief they have your number.

This is the game CovCath wanted-they already beat Cooper. They feel like they gave 2 games away to Beechwood and are the better team. It's your classic Goliath who has been to the Regional Finals 7 straight years vs the David- the school who was lastin it before most people on this board were born 70 years ago.

Let’s not pretend like Thelen and Mayer weren’t getting chippy either folks. Or pretend like Thelen did get away with what looked like a punch in a scrum in the floor. And yes, Harding sat because a rule had been put in, not sure by who, but if a player received a tech he was to sit the remainder of that game.

As a spectator, I am astonished at how people (officials, opponents, etc) put up with CovCaths play. I saw flopping, pushing, shoving, what appeared to be a swing in the pile, getting physical after the ref blew the whistle. I guess they are dominant for a reason. Very physical. In my opinion, Newport did a pretty good job keeping it together, albeit not sure why Harding got the technical, but I assume something was said. Crazy he didn’t play the 4thQ! A senior, in a regional semi-final. What is this rule?? Do other schools have this rule? Why does Newport? Can’t believe this was some sort of life lesson or moral teaching.

I think CovCath beats Beechwood in the championship in a nip tuck, back and forth battle.

As a spectator, I am astonished at how people (officials, opponents, etc) put up with CovCaths play. I saw flopping, pushing, shoving, what appeared to be a swing in the pile, getting physical after the ref blew the whistle. I guess they are dominant for a reason. Very physical. In my opinion, Newport did a pretty good job keeping it together, albeit not sure why Harding got the technical, but I assume something was said. Crazy he didn’t play the 4thQ! A senior, in a regional semi-final. What is this rule?? Do other schools have this rule? Why does Newport? Can’t believe this was some sort of life lesson or moral teaching.

I think CovCath beats Beechwood in the championship in a nip tuck, back and forth battle.

I was in perfect position when he got the T, I didn’t see anything said. Could have been under his breath but I couldn’t understand what happened. As for why he sat, a rule was put in place by the school, that if a player received a technical, they must sit the rest of that game. Stupid rule IMO. It is what it is. The Golden Boys won and that’s really all that matters.

I was in perfect position when he got the T, I didn’t see anything said. Could have been under his breath but I couldn’t understand what happened. As for why he sat, a rule was put in place by the school, that if a player received a technical, they must sit the rest of that game. Stupid rule IMO. It is what it is. The Golden Boys won and that’s really all that matters.

He had jawed at two CovCath players, bent over, put his hands on his knees on the block, and turned to the CovCath student section said something...with the ref between them and him and actually in perfect position. Surprised you missed that from your perfect position.

I will add, in my opinion, unless he let the "f" word fly, the ref should have let it go.

He had jawed at two CovCath players, bent over, put his hands on his knees on the block, and turned to the CovCath student section said something...with the ref between them and him and actually in perfect position. Surprised you missed that from your perfect position.

So a T for saying something to the student section? Must have been harsh. Joke of a call as were most of the charges. It was expected though, good day.

Amen, they push the limits to playing dirty.

As a whole the grabbing, pulling, pushing on both ends of the floor from the Colonels is frustrating to watch. Hands are constantly on the offensive player.

I have a feeling the whistle will go along way in determining the game tonight. If they swallow it, it will be a long night for Beechwood. I know they bring in out of region refs for non-bias, but let’s face the fact after CCHs success the last few years there has to be some bias. Especially from 6th/7th region refs who have had the teams to compete with CCH. On the other hand, getting 6th/7th region officials may benefit CCH because I’d say night in and night out as a whole the games down in the ville are quicker and more physical then the 9th.

Edited by True blue (and gold)
Rule 2
So a T for saying something to the student section? Must have been harsh. Joke of a call as were most of the charges. It was expected though, good day.

Look at the additional part of my post, unless he said the magic word, I for sure would have ignored it.

Look at the additional part of my post, unless he said the magic word, I for sure would have ignored it.

Newport doesn’t get ignored and hasn’t for years, in any sport. But it’s something Newport folks have learned to expect.

Impossible to see what happened with his left hand from that AWFUL angle. Not saying the call was right, saying there is no way to tell from that angle.

Agree, but the ref who called it was behind the play and had roughly the same angle as myself. I didn’t see the left arm extend from my angle. All I saw is the dribble between the legs and the CCh defender fall down.