Raiders struggled to score in first half. A 4 point 2nd quarter, 16 points at half. Second half was better but couldn’t quite get over the hump. Conner hit shots when needed. #14 for Conner was clutch. Offensively, the offense doesn’t seem set up Schwartz or Scherr well to get good shots off. They seem to have to create their own shots a lot. Defensively, the 1-3-1 defense was working not sure why Ryle got out of it. I have seen a bunch of games and they play a lot of man defense but they don’t seem very good at it. Ryle gave up a lot of layups and offensive boards while in man. For as athletic as Ryle is they don’t pressure the ball a lot. Very few girls team would handle serious pressure well.

Ryle seems to be digressing, not peaking down the stretch.

Edited by RaidersWin
Misspell

Raiders struggled to score in first half. A 4 point 2nd quarter, 16 points at half. Second half was better but couldn’t quite get over the hump. Conner hit shots when needed. #14 for Conner was clutch. Offensively, the offense doesn’t seem set up Schwartz or Scherr well to get good shots off. They seem to have to create their own shots a lot. Defensively, the 1-3-1 defense was working not sure why Ryle got out of it. I have seen a bunch of games and they play a lot of man defense but they don’t seem very good at it. Ryle gave up a lot of layups and offensive boards while in man. For as athletic as Ryle is they don’t pressure the ball a lot. Very few girls team would handle serious pressure well.

Ryle seems to be digressing, not peaking down the stretch.

Hmmm I think them literally just winning the LIT kind of dismisses the fact that they are digressing as you say. I think it comes down to they played a fellow top 3 team in the state, and lost. Losing to another top 3 is not a bad thing.

Plus most likely this is the 2nd of what will be probably be 4 matchups between these two. The one that will matter most will be in the regional finals assuming both get there.

I have no link to either team - just went to the game to see high school basketball played at a high level. I wasn't disappointed.

If these two teams played five times on a neutral court one would win three, the other two. Don't ask me which would win that series - I don't have a clue.

I would agree that Ryle could be stronger defensively. They're good, certainly caused Conner some problems with their press late, which surprised me a little. But they could be really great at defense with all their length and athleticism.

Against MND they struggled some in half court defense, overplaying hurt them. Last night it was transition defense, not getting back. When Ryle's point takes the ball to the hole, someone else has to rotate back. Against Conner I'd send at least two back - forgo the offensive rebounds - Conner is really good on getting out. But, getting back when the point takes the ball to the basket requires communication - lot of talking, lot of pointing. Didn't see it, at least from the upper level. Also, find the shooters in transition...too much dribble penetration for Conner off weak close outs.

Ryle is an impressive team - they have a couple weeks to get even better. Yes, it's really easy to coach from the stands, but I think cranking it up on defense will go a long way in getting them where they want to go.

Hmmm I think them literally just winning the LIT kind of dismisses the fact that they are digressing as you say. I think it comes down to they played a fellow top 3 team in the state, and lost. Losing to another top 3 is not a bad thing.

Plus most likely this is the 2nd of what will be probably be 4 matchups between these two. The one that will matter most will be in the regional finals assuming both get there.

Yeah I guess I haven’t seen enough to know. Seems like all the blow outs vs easy teams have been at home. Didn’t see the LIT games. Was really just comparing to the other Conner game. Other than the first 5 minutes of the first Conner game Ryle seemed to really dominate. They went from 14 behind to 11 ahead, basically won 3 1/2 quarters by 25. This game did not look the same. Struggled to score. Struggled to play strong D. Just my opinion though. Hoping they come out ahead in the tournament.

Four posts in and everyone is talking about Ryle? How about we give Conner credit for being a good team who beat another good team. Believe it or not this region is more than a one horse race. Congrats to Conner for a well played and executed game!

I think the reason why people thought of it as a one horse race was because Ryle had only lost 1 regional game in 2 years. They also lost to Conner for the first time in 2 seasons. Conner and Highlands are having great years along with Ryle. Going to be a great postseason.

Conner, Highlands and Ryle. All top 10 in state. All same region. Two in the same district. They all deserve a ton of credit and hype because they’re all THAT good and can win on any given night.