futurecoach

Covington Catholic faces backlash after tense exchange with indigenous marchers

Clearly I am not up to speed on this and have not read this whole thread but heard about this last night. Here is a long video of supposedly the whole situation. Maybe we can take something from this as its video.

Watching the video JJ posted, it's obvious that the African American group was trying to engage anyone and everyone in the area. They've done so throughout the video.

Here are a few moments I found interesting in the video:

1:09:45 - CCH student jumps out of the crowd, takes his shirt and sweatshirt off and starts a cheer, finishing by flexing with his shirt off facing the African American group.

1:12 - Mr. Phillips enters from the right, walks up to the edge of the CCH group playing his drum.

1:14:10 - CCH group fills in around behind Mr. Phillips and the people filming him.

1:17:30 - An adult enters to try to push the CCH group back away from the African American group. Was this a chaperone, or just a random adult trying to dffuse?

1:19:20 - A CCH student engaging with the African American group yells "We got one at home, but he ain't here." This is in response to the African American group antagonizing the CCH group for only having one black student with them.

As time has gone on, the CCH group has moved closer to, and began to surround the African American group.

That's as far as I am so far.

The video posted by Jesse James is what everyone needs to watch if they want to get as much of the feel and full effect of what happened. I suggest starting at around the 1:05 mark, maybe a little earlier and watching from there.

TheDeuce has a good summary of where some key moments happen.

After watching videos and reading many comments here and elsewhere, I have these comments to add.

1. The brunt of the blame and chastising should go straight to the MIA chaperones and any administration on the trip. It is ridiculous that all this occurred over that long a time frame and I never see one adult from CCH trying to manage the children - yes, children - on this trip. These children may be in high school and a few may even be 18 years old, but none of them are equipped and capable of handling situations like what they faced. The repercussions from this event need to flow to the chaperones and any administration on this trip.

2. There may be a time and place for the children to have fun and revel in being one of "The Crazies", but this wasn't it. Again, no chaperones/administration managed this situation, which was long developing, and "The Crazies" came to the forefront.

I have more to say but I am not going to diffuse this post.

Chaperones and administration - step up and take the blame. Don't let your children continue to bear the brunt of their unsupervised childish behavior.

I did. I consider that to be the negative circumstances. I don’t think it excuses their behavior.

It provides context as to why they were chanting and dancing. They were doing that before Phillips approached them. They were doing it because a group of racist, homophobic idiots were harassing them.

Phillips walked into it and they looked confused about what exactly was happening. All while people in Phillips' group made comments about white people needing to go back to Europe.

When did we start holding kids to higher standards than adults?

I must have missed the part where they were brave enough to racially mock and taunt the African American group like they did the 70 year old Native American.

Did you watch this video? Do you condone the language the African Americans were using? "Crackers"? Its really telling that nobody has commented on this aspect of the video. Both sides handled this wrong. But to throw 100% blame on the kids is ignoring the facts.

It provides context as to why they were chanting and dancing. They were doing that before Phillips approached them. They were doing it because a group of racist, homophobic idiots were harassing them.

Phillips walked into it and they looked confused about what exactly was happening. All while people in Phillips' group made comments about white people needing to go back to Europe.

When did we start holding kids to higher standards than adults?

This thread is about the students, and I was commenting on the students.

Also, if you want to see a large group of white people doing the tomahawk chop, tune in to the Chiefs/Pats game today. Or any Atlanta Braves game. Or maybe go see a NFL game in Washington. If the tomahawk chop is racially insensitive then it needs to be removed from our professional sports teams.

I am not saying it is or it isn't, but that tomahawk chop is widely used in professional, college, and high school sports. If the action is offensive then it shouldn't be accepted there either.

I must have missed the part where they were brave enough to racially mock and taunt the African American group like they did the 70 year old Native American.

They did the tomahawk and a chant. How do you know their intentions? Some have said they thought originally he was playing along with them because they started chanting in response to the racist homophobic men harrassing them.

The African American men also made threats and one even picked up a staff to hit someone with if they got too close. You don't seem to mind that though...

Did you know that the tomahawk chop was offensive when you were a kid? I didn't. I'm a Braves fan, they still do it at every game.

And this is a Kentucky message board with a huge focus on NKY. I’m sure plenty of message boards in other areas are discussing those other groups.

The thread is about the entire situation.

And this is a Kentucky message board with a huge focus on NKY. I’m sure plenty of message boards in other areas are discussing those other groups.

So we aren't allowed to discuss the other groups to provide context? I disagree.

Did you watch this video? Do you condone the language the African Americans were using? "Crackers"? Its really telling that nobody has commented on this aspect of the video. Both sides handled this wrong. But to throw 100% blame on the kids is ignoring the facts.

That group certainly wasn’t innocent either. But again, regardless of how and why, the kids still chose to react to the situation by mocking and making fun of someone’s culture.

So we aren't allowed to discuss the other groups to provide context? I disagree.

We already have done that and are doing it now. If you want to make a specific thread condemning them feel free. I think we have all explained their roles in the situation here. My explaining was why we are focusing on the kids. I think that’s pretty clear.

Because if they bring it up, they’re racist.

Also, if you want to see a large group of white people doing the tomahawk chop, tune in to the Chiefs/Pats game today. Or any Atlanta Braves game. Or maybe go see a NFL game in Washington. If the tomahawk chop is racially insensitive then it needs to be removed from our professional sports teams.

I am not saying it is or it isn't, but that tomahawk chop is widely used in professional, college, and high school sports. If the action is offensive then it shouldn't be accepted there either.

It isn’t accepted. People have been calling for them to change their mascots for years. The people who make the rules refuse to change their mascots because “tradition” and all.

We already have done that and are doing it now. If you want to make a specific thread condemning them feel free. I think we have all explained their roles in the situation here.

I do not need your permission to start a thread, but thanks.

I just said this thread is for discussing the entire situation. I still believe that. Some seem to want to only focus on the kids.