Voice of Reason

Kentucky Sports Classification

This discussion may belong in another thread but since it will cover all sports this seemed like the best place to put it.

For years the classification of various sports has been a bone of contention. Going all the way back to the founding of the All A Classic in basketball, which came about because of a lawsuit, to the ongoing realignment of football classes the question and debate continues. How many classes there should be in various sports is a relentless debate. To try and put it all in perspective, let's look at how each sport is classified in Kentucky and discuss how it should look from the big picture perspective.

Here is what classification looks like in Kentucky now:

Football - 6 classes

Basketball - 1 class

Soccer - 1 class

Cross Country - 3 classes

Golf - 1 class

Volleyball - 1 class

Swimming and Diving - 1 class

Wrestling - 1 class

Track - 3 classes

Baseball - 1 class

Softball - 1 class

Tennis - 1 class

Hopefully I got all that right. I pulled the info from the KHSAA. Looking at the variety of classes in the sports, how do you think it should look? Why should one sport have 3 classes and another 1 class or 6 classes?

I think all should be classed the same. I don't know the number, but all the same. I would lean to four classes.

I think all should be classed the same. I don't know the number, but all the same. I would lean to four classes.

I don't think that is possible. There are some sports like softball that don't have that many teams competing. If we have to go with the exact same number of classes for every sport, I believe the number is either 2 or 3.

It can't be looked at as all sports need to be the same...the numbers just wouldn't make sense.

As long as we have the current commissioner there will not be any classes.

I’ve never understood why cross country and track are classified and nothing else. That’s a sport you can qualify as an individual like in golf and tennis.

All the major team sports should be classified. I’m fine with 6 classes in football, and 3 sounds right for the rest. Individual sports, with fewer teams that participate (ie wrestling, golf, tennis) do not need classification.

It can't be looked at as all sports need to be the same...the numbers just wouldn't make sense.

I am not sure I understand. I would think sports should be uniformly classified, whether 4 or 6 divisions according to enrollment. How would that not make sense? Not trying to be argumentative. I am trying to understand your thoughts.

I am not sure I understand. I would think sports should be uniformly classified, whether 4 or 6 divisions according to enrollment. How would that not make sense? Not trying to be argumentative. I am trying to understand your thoughts.

Well there are only 19 field hockey teams, 104 wrestling teams and 18 boys lacrosse teams...those don't need 4 or 6 classes. Football has 220 teams but the classes has more to do with the huge variety in school sizes than the number of teams in Kentucky.

3 classes in basketball would be ideal. Bring the elite 8 from each class to Lexington.

Wednesday 4 games of class A

Thursday 4 games of class AA

Friday 4 games of class AAA

Saturday 3 sessions of 2 games. Semifinals of each class.

Sunday 3 finals.

You could start Tuesday and end on Saturday. You rotate the order each year so each class would start a different day each year.

That’s 24 teams coming to Lexington instead of 16 and you are still using Rupp for the same number of days.

3 classes in basketball would be ideal. Bring the elite 8 from each class to Lexington.

Sunday 3 finals.

You could start Tuesday and end on Saturday. You rotate the order each year so each class would start a different day each year.

That’s 24 teams coming to Lexington instead of 16 and you are still using Rupp for the same number of days.

Why does current one class not work for basketball? It's not like only the biggest schools ever win or smaller school can't compete against the big boys. I lived in Indiana when they did this and in my opinion it's never been the same up there.

Sunday 3 finals.

If you classify the basketball tournament you could have it anywhere. Rupp would no longer be needed.

Well there are only 19 field hockey teams, 104 wrestling teams and 18 boys lacrosse teams...those don't need 4 or 6 classes. Football has 220 teams but the classes has more to do with the huge variety in school sizes than the number of teams in Kentucky.

Gotcha! That makes sense.

My daughter played volleyball in high school. They had a good team but could never compete with the big schools like Notre Dame, Assumption, etc. I always wished volleyball could be classified like football. Can’t speak for other sports as I have no personal experience.

Why does current one class not work for basketball? It's not like only the biggest schools ever win or smaller school can't compete against the big boys. I lived in Indiana when they did this and in my opinion it's never been the same up there.

For one the bigger schools usually do win.

2nd, and this is a big concern for the KHSAA, attendance.

The attendance has been way down. This year the boys tournament is the last week of the NCAA season. If attendance goes up this year then look for the KHSAA to look at staying away from the opening week of the NCAA tournament.

For one the bigger schools usually do win.

2nd, and this is a big concern for the KHSAA, attendance.

The attendance has been way down. This year the boys tournament is the last week of the NCAA season. If attendance goes up this year then look for the KHSAA to look at staying away from the opening week of the NCAA tournament.

Attendance at all sporting events is down...even UK and UL aren't selling out home games. Can't blame attendance on one class.