Sign in to follow this  
Bac2369

Class 1A State Semifinals: #3 Raceland at #2 Pikeville

Who wins this matchup?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

Who wins this State Semifinals matchup? Raceland won last year on a last second field goal 17-14. Pikeville will be looking for payback.

After the way that Pikeville just handled Williamsburg, I find it too hard to pick against them. Good luck to both teams!

Pikeville is looking really good. It is going to take the game of the year by Raceland for them to make it back to back title game appearances.

Immovable object vs. irresistible force type of game.

Raceland is tremendous on Defense and Pikeville has a finely tuned machine on Offense.

Immovable object vs. irresistible force type of game.

Raceland is tremendous on Defense and Pikeville has a finely tuned machine on Offense.

You are correct on the assessment of Raceland's defense and Pikeville's offense. The funny thing is, I think this game will come down to Raceland's offense versus Pikeville's defense. We know Raceland will play good defense and Pikeville will have a good offense, the question is: can Raceland score enough points against Pikeville's defense to offset the Pikeville offense. Probably seems elementary to the some, but that is what I see as the defining factor in this game.

I picked Raceland over Paintsville, but this week the Rams will not fare as well. I like Pikeville by 21.

You are correct on the assessment of Raceland's defense and Pikeville's offense. The funny thing is, I think this game will come down to Raceland's offense versus Pikeville's defense. We know Raceland will play good defense and Pikeville will have a good offense, the question is: can Raceland score enough points against Pikeville's defense to offset the Pikeville offense. Probably seems elementary to the some, but that is what I see as the defining factor in this game.

Those two things go hand in hand Ram. I say this game is on the Raceland offense. They have to sustain drives, possess the ball and help their defense out. If they start going three and out, Raceland's defense will not be able to hold off Pikeville. Raceland's offense is absolutely the key to a Rams win.

I concur with all the comments about our offense. That being said, we weren’t supposed to be good enough to win last year, either.

If Raceland wants to win, they will need to sustain and finish drives in the ground and pound offense. My team Hazard didn’t make it, but they pounded the ball and jags success. Raceland has two backs so they should have success.if they don’t, then Pikeville wins this game.

Doc mentioned the "home team" stat / advantage that I was going to mention. One would think that the visiting team may sneak in a win somewhere but this has been a home team series. Now, every time I think of playing at Pikeville my mind goes straight to that one night that Raceland lost a fan, the Rams QB lost his father to a heart attack while watching his son play football. I can't remember the year right now. I do remember how the Pikeville fans, hospital staff and their team, community helped anyway they could. That tragedy re affirmed to all of us that although we discuss an important game and want to win …. it's not really that important at all. Sorry, I didn't mean to get off subject. Just wanted to share …...

Now lets get back to discussing this game.

Raceland has to not give up the "big play". One or two big plays were the deciding W/L factor in each Ram loss this season. I agree that Raceland needs to control the time of possession / clock and keep the powerful Panther offense on their sidelines as much as possible. Doing that means controlling the line of scrimmage. Whoever wins the l.o.s. will probably go on to the big grocery store in Lexington called Kroger Stadium / Field (that will always be Commonwealth Stadium to me).

The home team has won every game between these 2.

Dating back to '89.

RAMS ….. You are one step away from Lexington.

Like each week before, this game will be Won / Lost on how you prepare this week and Execute on Friday night.

Dicipline + Commitment + Toughness + Effort + Pride = RAM VCTORY !