Rebel

Blind Side Hit for a Penalty

What are the official rules on a blindside block? I know what it is but have seen some calls where the block was legit to keep the defensive player from making the tackle.

Are you to not allowed to block the guy at all if he doesn't see you coming, even if he's in position to make the tackle? :idunno:

I guess I'm just old school. When I played you better be ready to get hit when you stepped on the field.

Are you listening to Belfry's game? They got called for that on their last drive and it brought a touchdown back.

Are you listening to Belfry's game? They got called for that on their last drive and it brought a touchdown back.

Yes! Also happened last night on a punt return that Boyle got and had a TD called back.

I think 90% of the time when it's called it's a block in the back. If the blockers head is behind the blockee's shoulder pad, they'll get called for it every time.

2.32.16.H - A player who receives a blindside block with forceful contact not initiated with open hands.

2.3.10 - A blindside block is a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching.

I think 90% of the time when it's called it's a block in the back. If the blockers head is behind the blockee's shoulder pad, they'll get called for it every time.

Unfortunately this is inaccurate. That used to be enforced for the block in the back rule, but incorrectly enforced.

What I witnessed last night was a block in front, on a player 2 yards from the ball carrier that got flagged. The person never seen it, but was in position to make the play. What are suppose to do if you are the blocker?

2.32.16.H - A player who receives a blindside block with forceful contact not initiated with open hands.

2.3.10 - A blindside block is a block against an opponent other than the runner, who does not see the blocker approaching.

This is what happened last night. What I don't understand is should you be flagged if the tackler is in position to make the play?

The hands have to be extended when contact is made. This from a friend who is a high school ref.

If the player doesn’t see you coming, the hit has to be initiated with open hands. Otherwise it’s a flag.

They are really good!
Bobby Norman is excellent as play by play man. Steve Mickey coached at Belfry for 35 years and brings a great perspective.

Unfortunately this is inaccurate. That used to be enforced for the block in the back rule, but incorrectly enforced.

May not be the rule, but you see it called like that weekly.

May not be the rule, but you see it called like that weekly.

There’s no doubt about that!