Sign in to follow this  
CCHColonels44

Small, Medium, and Large State Champs

Hypothetically.... How would everyone feel to do a two week State Championship Tournament? The winner of A play the winner of AA for Small School State Champs, AAA winner play winner of AAAA, play for Middle State Champs, and AAAAA winner play AAAAAA winner play for large school State Champs?

Would this take away from winning your class and how would it impact the basketball programs keeping the kids from another week of their next sport?

In theory I love anytime elite teams play each other but in reality I’m against any games being played after the state championship. I do like the conversation that comes along with this type of idea though.

It would be entertaining but don't see hardly any coaches going for it. Just not enough upside. Too much to lose.

It would be entertaining but don't see hardly any coaches going for it. Just not enough upside. Too much to lose.

I ageee 1000%. That’s why I said hypothetically. What if it became the normZ I would love it. Traveling may be a concern. However I’m not the commissioner of the KHSAA. Not my problem. Lol.....

No. Adding another week after the state championship does nothing except maybe to satisfy those who believe there are too many State Champs.

The best solution would be to go from 6 to 3 classes. Combine 1A and 2A to a new 1A class. Combine 3A and 4A to make a new 2 A class and combine 5A and 6A to make a new 3A class. Have all the championship games be on the first Saturday in December.

15 games is too much already....they start practicing in July and they're already playing in or near December for championship games....nope ! Take half the teams out the playoffs and get the title games back to Thanksgiving weekend. Or shorten the season and let all teams in the playoffs but don't extend the season, ever

I like the idea of just having 3 classes instead of the 6, combining the smallest 2, largest 2, and 2 middle classes. Have either only District champs in the playoffs or the top 2 teams in each district in the playoffs.

The idea proposed in the original post is anti-climatic. It doesn't interest me.

I like the classes as they are. I would be vehemently opposed to anything less than 4 classes and would need some good arguments to go down to 4. I really like 32 teams in the largest and smallest classes. If you want to keep football alive in small schools, you cannot go above 32 teams. If anything, and there has to be change to appease the haters of the current 6 class system, shrink 1A to just 16 teams to give the small schools more opportunity and create interest for football in those small schools. Likewise, I think you could shrink 6A to 16 teams as well because we all know there are only a handful of teams that have any chance of competing with the top large schools. Then divide the remaining teams into four classes. If the 6 class haters want their regular season elimination process, then eliminate teams in those middle four classes. I still want 32 teams in those classes in the playoffs. That would eliminate about 60 teams from postseason play. Give 1A and 6A the first playoff weekend off and run the rest of the playoffs as is. Or, you could keep 1A at 32, 6A at 16 and divide the rest.

Have 8 classes, and then take those 8 state champions and have an Elite Eight tournament. Boom. Great football for everyone. Eliminate the 3rd and 4th place teams in the post season.

Have the Ultimate Championship on New Years Day.

The idea proposed in the original post is anti-climatic. It doesn't interest me.

I like the classes as they are. I would be vehemently opposed to anything less than 4 classes and would need some good arguments to go down to 4. I really like 32 teams in the largest and smallest classes. If you want to keep football alive in small schools, you cannot go above 32 teams. If anything, and there has to be change to appease the haters of the current 6 class system, shrink 1A to just 16 teams to give the small schools more opportunity and create interest for football in those small schools. Likewise, I think you could shrink 6A to 16 teams as well because we all know there are only a handful of teams that have any chance of competing with the top large schools. Then divide the remaining teams into four classes. If the 6 class haters want their regular season elimination process, then eliminate teams in those middle four classes. I still want 32 teams in those classes in the playoffs. That would eliminate about 60 teams from postseason play. Give 1A and 6A the first playoff weekend off and run the rest of the playoffs as is. Or, you could keep 1A at 32, 6A at 16 and divide the rest.

You know, I had never thought of having the classes not be the same size, but I definitely don't hate the idea...

The best solution would be to go from 6 to 3 classes. Combine 1A and 2A to a new 1A class. Combine 3A and 4A to make a new 2 A class and combine 5A and 6A to make a new 3A class. Have all the championship games be on the first Saturday in December.

This issue gets beaten to death, but if you really want to kill football, run with this idea, and cut to 3 classes. Yes it would appease those who think there are "too many state champs". But all it does is widen the gap between the largest and smallest schools in each class. Yes, you might get a few better matchups in each class. But you will also get many more forced bad matchups, and reduce scheduling flexibility because each district would get larger. That situation helps no one, and is throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I understand that a "Battle of the Champions" after the State Championship games is a way to appease those who think there are too many classes, while keeping the 6 class system. But it's anti climatic at best, and extends a season that is already too long, with no real benefit. There's no good reason to extend the season to mid December.

I really like the concept of this, but I'm not sure how you would be able to work the travel and geography of it, in 1A at least.

The idea of having 6A be 16 teams is an appealing one to me, because they aren't at spread out across the state as the other classes. Have 8 west and 8 east and that would definitely work.

Having 32 teams in 1A, 16 in 6A and evenly divided between the rest would actually be a really good solution.

Keep it at 6 classes, but only have the district champion go to the playoffs or the district champion and runner up to the playoffs.

Sign in to follow this