Walgreens is the reason we have a drug problem according to Lawsuit

Is population a fair comparison between Clay County and Florence? Come on now, the population of the three northern counties dwarfs Clay and covers less territory.

Bottom line, there wouldn't be 11 pharmacies in Manchester if there wasn't a huge demand. Why is there such a huge demand?

The population is roughly the same, its around the same as Grant Co. Do people come from outside to get their drugs, sure, do you think that doesnt happen in Clay Co?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pike Co. when I lived there 15+ years ago, anywhere two creeks met there would be a pharmacy, always with bars on the windows. Where creeks meet in the mountains, roads meet, and pharmacies, convenience stores, banks, churches and fast-food joints always congregated there. The bigger the road intersection, the more stuff is packed in there.

Where in NoKy is it like that? Bad comparison. Unless Florence is full of disabled coal miners.

So only disabled coal miners can have drug problems?

The more affluent dont have drug issues?

Interesting to note that according to data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, approximately 50% of non-medical users of prescription opioids get them from friends or relatives; 25% get them by prescription from physicians; fewer than 10% are purchased from drug dealers or other strangers. Not sure where the other 15% or so comes from.

Opioids were marketed as a safe way to manage pain. They aren't. Once that was recognized, everyone in the supply chain had a duty to monitor their own activities. That is drug companies, doctors, pharmacies and patients. One way to prompt people to modify their own behavior is to make it expensive not to. Hence the lawsuit.

You say it's not a "safe way" to manage pain. If you read my earlier post, you would see that I have been on pain meds for ten years +. I have no addiction, nor do I take all that I am givin. Only take as needed. I know others like me, I know others who abuse the system to sell them, and I know others who can't get along in life without taking twice as much as I get monthly. It's only the addicts fault. Plain and simple. Yes there should be monitoring. Yes there should be drug testing. Yes there should be a limit to everyone. But in the end it is the users fault. I have never met a recovered drug addict ( of any drug including heroin which is far more addictive than pills) that has EVER put the blame on anyone but their self! And yes I know a handful or two

Interesting to note that according to data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, approximately 50% of non-medical users of prescription opioids get them from friends or relatives; 25% get them by prescription from physicians; fewer than 10% are purchased from drug dealers or other strangers. Not sure where the other 15% or so comes from.

Actually expected friends/family to be higher.

But according to this link there are 11 :eek: in the county.

pharmacies in Clay County, KY | Reviews - Yellowbook

1. Rite Aid

2. Clay Community Pharmacy

3. Clay Discount Drug

4. Clinic Pharmacy

5. Family Drug Center (Bridge Street)

6. Family Drug Center (Manchester Shopping Center)

7. H&N Drug

8. Home Town Pharmacy

9. Infusion Care of Southeast Kentucky

10. Manchester Pharmacy

11. Morgan's Professional Pharmacy

Henderson County's population is 46,000+ and there are only 8.

1. Rite Aid

3. Clay Discount Drug

4. Clinic Pharmacy

7. H&N Drug

8. Home Town Pharmacy

10. Manchester Pharmacy

I could be wrong, but it looks like all but one (Rite Aid)of these are small, privately owned pharmacies. Probably one or two in every small town in the county, none of which likely do big volume. In most larger, more populated areas, these small pharmacies have been pushed out by the national brands. I'm guessing that's why there are so many for such a small population.

I could be wrong, but it looks like all but one (Rite Aid)of these are small, privately owned pharmacies. Probably one or two in every small town in the county, none of which likely do big volume. In most larger, more populated areas, these small pharmacies have been pushed out by the national brands. I'm guessing that's why there are so many for such a small population.

You would be surprised at the volume that independents do. Usually they are not so much "pushed out" as much as the owner wants to retire and calls Walgreens, Rite Aid, or CVS and asks if they want to buy him out.

Considering the player sponsorship checks we get from 3 of those Pharmacy's every year they are doing very good business.

So here's my question. Pseudoephedrine purchases are tracked and people are able to purchase only a certain quantity in a certain time frame. In a previous discussion about this it was also implied that if a person made several attempts to purchase outside of their buying window, their name could be turned over to law enforcement. We still have an issue with meth even with all those safeguards, but that's another discussion. Why couldn't that sort of system be set up for opioids?

So here's my question. Pseudoephedrine purchases are tracked and people are able to purchase only a certain quantity in a certain time frame. In a previous discussion about this it was also implied that if a person made several attempts to purchase outside of their buying window, their name could be turned over to law enforcement. We still have an issue with meth even with all those safeguards, but that's another discussion. Why couldn't that sort of system be set up for opioids?

KY has one called KASPER that MDs and pharmacies are supposed to use. MDs are supposed to run a KASPER report before prescribing any controlled substances (not just opiods). Pharmacies then report the details of the fill to KASPER so the database is up to date. If you were ever asked for a SS# when picking up or dropping off a medication in KY that was due KY's KASPER requirements.

Pseudoephedrine is not a prescription only medication and as such they can track all purchases through methcheck which is nationwide. The US is a patchwork of drug laws that very from state to state and not all drugs are even under the same restrictions from state to state.

1. Rite Aid

3. Clay Discount Drug

4. Clinic Pharmacy

7. H&N Drug

8. Home Town Pharmacy

10. Manchester Pharmacy

Man, that's a LOT of places to get pills, especially considering there are only four places in Anderson County to get a prescription filled, a county roughly the same population as Clay County. (does not include the local health department, don't know if they can fill scripts or not)