ColonelPops

Ohio's New Transfer Rule

Is there anyone who can link the specific language of the legal transfer ? If what was mentioned above turns out to be true, You will see a lot of players leaving the state IMO. If moving from Columbus to Cincy and you are denied eligibility, why not cross the river into a Ky school that allows open enrollment? Does anyone know the Ky rule about being able to live in Ohio and open enroll in Ky?

I think you can live out of state and be eligible in Kentucky. I am pretty sure CJ Frederick, Cov Cath basketball player, lives in Ohio.

Is there anyone who can link the specific language of the legal transfer ? If what was mentioned above turns out to be true, You will see a lot of players leaving the state IMO. If moving from Columbus to Cincy and you are denied eligibility, why not cross the river into a Ky school that allows open enrollment? Does anyone know the Ky rule about being able to live in Ohio and open enroll in Ky?

KHSAA bylaws state participant must be ENROLLED in a KY School. No residency requirement.

Another rule that punishes kids. Because adults didn’t like it.

I don't see the transfer rule that way. I think it should be a little difficult to transfer. Otherwise kids will transfer every time a coach looks cross-eyed at them or somebody says they would be a superstar at another school.

I don't see the transfer rule that way. I think it should be a little difficult to transfer. Otherwise kids will transfer every time a coach looks cross-eyed at them or somebody says they would be a superstar at another school.

I think the kid you are talking about is the exception and not the rule.

School athletics should be about kids getting to experience what they want. Instead it’s about coaches and schools winning.

I hear this all the time and I just don’t think it’s true. One, not every athlete will have the means, transportation, or ability to just transfer. And really, since there are only so many spots available on athletic teams, not everyone can transfer and still play. Many would find the grass isn’t always greener, and I don’t think you’d see nearly as much transferring as you would expect.

I coach in a closed district in Cincinnati meaning you have to live in the district to go to that school, If a player moves in to the district they will be eligible to play the whole season, it is one of many exceptions to the transfer rule in Ohio. OHSAA member schools voted on this change in a lopsided approval. The thought is that it will cut down on Senior transfers chasing a ring since they will miss out on the post season. This would apply to any sport that the kid played the past year.

Schools complained , especially regarding basketball, so the OHSAA changed the rule so that the player now sits out the LAST half of the season including the tourney.

How the heck is this better?