Larry Linville

Why isn't lacrosse a KHSAA sport?

As much as some on here complain about the KHSAA, maybe this is a good thing?

A few years ago a lacrosse father told me that it cost about $400 to outfit a player. Is that amount anywhere near correct? Do most schools have the kid's family pay for it or does the school take care of it?

The one school I’m familiar with buys the game and practice uniforms and the students are responsible for everything else.

TC,

That number ($400) is in the ballpark.

I am the Booster Club President for a 6A girls lacrosse program in Louisville with 85 girls and 4 teams (Thank God for TeamSnap!). The only thing the school pays for is the Head Coaches salary - THAT IS IT!

Everything else (uniforms, all equipment, ref fees, travel costs, study hall fees, tournament fees, etc.) is provided via Fundraisers and each girl has a player fee of $375 and parents paying for players equipment. We do buy goalie equipment or we wouldn't have enough goalies. We do work with parents with twins and those less fortunate. But it is a BIG effort to make it work.

I support sanctioning (field hockey and bass fishing are sanctioned, so why not lacrosse, but I understand the issues raised above). It would help from an economic standpoint immensely. But it would also cut our #s down as we would be relegated to 3 teams (Varsity, JV and Frosh). So there's that.

There is also the competition curve. On the Boy's side, it's St X and Trinity and everybody else. On the girls side, "this year" it is likely Eastern, KCD and Sacred Heart and everybody else. So any new teams would have to look for newer teams to play as they couldn't stay on the field with these teams. Fern Creek for example, just started a girls lacrosse (and maybe boys Lax) program this year. Our newbie Frosh Team has played them a couple times and we gave them some goals we weren't using. So it is spreading slowly.

Could you not have 30 on each team? We have teams down here that do that. I'm just happy to have my 40 in the high school right now.

Could you not have 30 on each team? We have teams down here that do that. I'm just happy to have my 40 in the high school right now.

Sure you can! But what that really means is that roughly 6 to 10 girls really won't play in the games. So are you going to put the effort in week in and week out just to be on the team? Some will and some won't.

Sounds right. I worked in the sporting good business over 20 years ago in an area where Lacrosse was pretty big (southeastern PA). Players need a helmet ($75+), shoulder pads&gloves ($150+), a stick ($50+) and cleats ($50+). Throw in uniforms and, conservatively, $400 sounds about right on the low end. I'm guessing though, most would spend more. I'm not sure how much schools provide. I'm for certain kids are buying their own sticks and cleats. I would think with concussion issues, schools would likely be providing and reconditioning helmets to insure they met standards. Regardless, as was said before, it's not a cheap sport to play.

It depends on where you go. If you roll into dicks that’s wfat you’ll spend. But being in nky we’d just cross the river to cincy and get used stuff from play it again. But they always offer team pricing. So a school starting a team could get some solid discounts.

Ohio sanctioned it, but also still has a club division which helps the schools that have title 9 issues. Because they aren’t “varsity sports”

I don’t know about other eastern Kentucky schools but I would venture a good guess if one asked the question, “What is lacrosse?” to our student body that very few students would know what the answer would be. I suppose it’s more of a sport for the metropolitan areas.

It depends on where you go. If you roll into dicks that’s wfat you’ll spend. But being in nky we’d just cross the river to cincy and get used stuff from play it again. But they always offer team pricing. So a school starting a team could get some solid discounts.

I admit, I didn't consider used. I'm not sure with safety rules though, a school would be comfortable outfitting a new team with used equipment. Also, stock would be limited to what the store has at the time, and you might not be able to get everything you need at once.

Ohio sanctioned it, but also still has a club division which helps the schools that have title 9 issues. Because they aren’t “varsity sports”

This seems like a reasonable idea.

I admit, I didn't consider used. I'm not sure with safety rules though, a school would be comfortable outfitting a new team with used equipment. Also, stock would be limited to what the store has at the time, and you might not be able to get everything you need at once.

You would only need to worry about the condition of the helmets. Almost all of our junior program kids rent their equipment each season. Otherwise we would probably not be able to have a junior program due to the cost.

You would only need to worry about the condition of the helmets. Almost all of our junior program kids rent their equipment each season. Otherwise we would probably not be able to have a junior program due to the cost.

Wasn’t aware renting was an option. I know that’s common in hockey, especially for goalie equipment.

When I played club in college. We bought team helmets and they sold us brand new ones for around $75. (They are normally $200-300)

Wasn’t aware renting was an option. I know that’s common in hockey, especially for goalie equipment.

It's only an option down here because of a non profit organization hooks must of the Atlanta area up. Thankfully they exist or my junior program probably wouldn't to be honest.

When I played club in college. We bought team helmets and they sold us brand new ones for around $75. (They are normally $200-300)

I'd love to know where you got those. The cheapest I can find some are around $130.

I'd love to know where you got those. The cheapest I can find some are around $130.

I believe it was Laxland in cincy. They were pro7s and it was back in 2011