16thBBall Fan

Covington Catholic 73 Scott County 55 (Sweet 16 Championship)

That was a joke for those that aren't sensing the sarcasm.

I'm giving you credit, like it or not. I remember when the CCH faithful took your prediction as an attempt by "an NCC guy" to hang an albatross around their neck. and with the two losses in regional finals in 2016 and 2017, I think there were some that felt the talent rich Colonels were not going to live up to the "greatest dynasty ever" prediction. With two state championships and another trip to the final 4 in the past 5 years, I am personally ready to proclaim (for whatever that's worth) the past 5 years as the best 5 year run in NKY history .... and I would argue, if I could, as a Bulldog myself that Holmes' stretches from 76-80 (4 regional championships, one state runner up) and 05-09 (a final four, runner up, and state championship) were in the conversation .. but CCH stands alone ... 5 year run/greatest 9th region dynasty ever? Yeah, I'm sold.

On the other hand, I'm not at all sold that Ruthsatz could coach Scott County to a hypothetical win over CCH, or coach Notre Dame girls to a regional title, suggested elsewhere in the thread. It always takes a little luck to get to the pinnacle, and I think CCH had a couple things go its way in 2014 and 2018 (specifically in the regional finals those years), and did not have things go their way in 2016 and 2017, even though I could make a strong argument CCH was more talented in all those years. My question would be .. has Ruthsatz won when he had a significantly less talented team, which is what he would have to do in the hypothetical Scott County v CCH matchup or at Notre Dame. And I am not diminishing him in any way ... unless you consider my saying I don't think he can ALWAYS coach his team to a win, regardless of the talent on his team to be "diminishing"....

I'm giving you credit, like it or not. I remember when the CCH faithful took your prediction as an attempt by "an NCC guy" to hang an albatross around their neck. and with the two losses in regional finals in 2016 and 2017, I think there were some that felt the talent rich Colonels were not going to live up to the "greatest dynasty ever" prediction. With two state championships and another trip to the final 4 in the past 5 years, I am personally ready to proclaim (for whatever that's worth) the past 5 years as the best 5 year run in NKY history .... and I would argue, if I could, as a Bulldog myself that Holmes' stretches from 76-80 (4 regional championships, one state runner up) and 05-09 (a final four, runner up, and state championship) were in the conversation .. but CCH stands alone ... 5 year run/greatest 9th region dynasty ever? Yeah, I'm sold.

On the other hand, I'm not at all sold that Ruthsatz could coach Scott County to a hypothetical win over CCH, or coach Notre Dame girls to a regional title, suggested elsewhere in the thread. It always takes a little luck to get to the pinnacle, and I think CCH had a couple things go its way in 2014 and 2018 (specifically in the regional finals those years), and did not have things go their way in 2016 and 2017, even though I could make a strong argument CCH was more talented in all those years. My question would be .. has Ruthsatz won when he had a significantly less talented team, which is what he would have to do in the hypothetical Scott County v CCH matchup or at Notre Dame. And I am not diminishing him in any way ... unless you consider my saying I don't think he can ALWAYS coach his team to a win, regardless of the talent on his team to be "diminishing"....

I would say he has. This was the only year he had the most talent in the region.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Repairing broken quote.

I would say he has. This was the only year he had the most talent in the region.

I would agree. The NewCath and Holmes teams, particularly NewCath, that CovCath bested in '14 and '15 were very, very good teams. Holmes had one of the best PGs this area has ever seen and NewCath had 3 DI bigs on top of one of their best PGs ever. Anybody who watched those games, and the fluidity of Ruthsatz changing defenses and point of attack would agree that he outcoached his counter parts.

Repairing broken quote.

Last year he had the same team plus Cole.

Repairing broken quote.

Yes but he didn’t have Aiden as a Sr, AJ Mayer as a Sr, Walter as a Sr, Fredrick and Nowak as Sr or Michael Mayer.

I’d say that’s a big difference as those guys definitely got a LOT better from last year.

Yes but he didn’t have Aiden as a Sr, AJ Mayer as a Sr, Walter as a Sr, Fredrick and Nowak as Sr or Michael Mayer.

I’d say that’s a big difference as those guys definitely got a LOT better from last year.

Michael played last year probably about as much as this year. Cooper was in the same boat last year with all Jr’s. I’m just saying if they were more talented this year they should’ve been last year also.

Michael played last year probably about as much as this year. Cooper was in the same boat last year with all Jr’s. I’m just saying if they were more talented this year they should’ve been last year also.

In my opinion Cov Cath had more talent this year but last year it is hard to say that they had more talent than Cooper. I understand your point that it was the same team minus CVH, but Cooper was the same team minus Hendrix and McNeil. IMHO Cov Cath and Cooper were evenly matched last year and Sully just outcoached Ruthsatz in the regional finals with their zone in the 2nd half.

CJ I believe was coming off a broken foot, Walter got in way better shape, AJ was rested from football, and Ruthsatz just got way way better.

CJ I believe was coming off a broken foot, Walter got in way better shape, AJ was rested from football, and Ruthsatz just got way way better.

Both McNeils were injured also last year.

While on paper the Colonels impressively entered the 2014 Sweet 16 with only two losses, and though I may be mistaken, I don't recall them being considered as one of the favorites to win it all. I believe that it was either Scott Co. or Trinity that was getting most of the notice as being favorites.

CJ averaged 28points a game shooting 65 percent from fg, 58 percent from 3, 94 percent from line and against Fern Creek and Scott County he logged 63 minutes without a turnover. WOw just might be the most efficient tournament best played ever from a sweet sixteen MVP.

The athletic gene pool of this CCH team is quite outstanding. Looking at this alone, it is not surprising they won state. Here are some of the players family members (sorry if I left anyone out):

Fredrick - dad Chuck, uncle Joe, aunt Maureen were all outstanding college players, and grandpa was a legendary coach ...

Mayers - dad was an exceptional HS player and played college baseball, Uncle Rich was a college baller, Grandpa Maile was a college baller, and have a cousin that plays Major League baseball ...

Walter - dad Joe played professional football ...

Ruthsatz - dad played college ball, coached under a legend, and is becoming a legendary coach; brother played college ball and was MVP of a state championship ...

Nick Thelen - mom and dad played college ball, brother played and coaches college hoops, sister plays college volleyball, uncle PJ played college ball, and grandpa played professional hoops ...

Davin - mom played college ball, Uncles Chuck and Joe played college ball, and grandpa was a legendary coach ...

Luke Thelen - dad played college ball, sister plays college volleyball, aunt, uncle and cousins played college ball and grandpa played professional hoops ...

Deere - dad played college hoops ...

The athletic gene pool of this CCH team is quite outstanding. Looking at this alone, it is not surprising they won state. Here are some of the players family members (sorry if I left anyone out):

Fredrick - dad Chuck, uncle Joe, aunt Maureen were all outstanding college players, and grandpa was a legendary coach ...

Mayers - dad was an exceptional HS player and played college baseball, Uncle Rich was a college baller, Grandpa Maile was a college baller, and have a cousin that plays Major League baseball ...

Walter - dad Joe played professional football ...

Ruthsatz - dad played college ball, coached under a legend, and is becoming a legendary coach; brother played college ball and was MVP of a state championship ...

Nick Thelen - mom and dad played college ball, brother played and coaches college hoops, sister plays college volleyball, uncle PJ played college ball, and grandpa played professional hoops ...

Davin - mom played college ball, Uncles Chuck and Joe played college ball, and grandpa was a legendary coach ...

Luke Thelen - dad played college ball, sister plays college volleyball, aunt, uncle and cousins played college ball and grandpa played professional hoops ...

Deere - dad played college hoops ...

I believe I read an article in the CIncinnati Enquirer that CJ Fredrick Grandpa played football at Notre Dame then Uncle Joe played basketball aunt played at Xavier. Still surprised C.J. isn’t at Xavier or Notre Dame. After watching seeet sixteen I wish he was at UK.

That’s an impressive list wow. Easy to see why they won lots of genes there.

Edited by Runcible Owl
Repairing broken quote.

Nowak was also injured and did not play in the tourney last year. He was the Colonels defender last year and this year as well.